Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
US devices usually put the month first, the day, and then the year.
Here in Aus. and many other places it goes day, month, year.

Someone was arguing today that it should go year, month, day - just to help with file sorting, and to be consistent with how time is kept.

2016:04:19:16:09:37 = 4:08.37pm April 19th, 2016

grrrrrrrrrrrr

Smallest to largest. Time, day, month, year

Just like your address goes house number, street, area, city, county/state, country

Anything else is just retarded. Yes, i'm talking to you america

Just like your address goes house number, street, area, city, county/state, country

Including time format? Seconds, minutes, hour?

I do time, day, month, year, but in the States it is indeed more common for month to go before day.

Every once in a while I'll be reading a thread here and switch into American mode, reading dates backwards for a second when both numbers are 12 or less. For instance, 11/04 as November 4th instead of April 11th. Due to me personally preferring it day/month anyway, it only catches me for a second, and just every rare once in a while.

The difference in how dates are formatted around the world is a thing. There are standards used on the internet that are culture neutral (e.g. ISO 8601).

The person who argues the date should be formatted based on sorting, perhaps he is right if that is a priority for his job. However if formatting the date this way interferes with other people's jobs, perhaps he (your company) should invest in using a proper database (there are plenty of free ones) with proper date(/time) datatypes, and display it however you see fit.

What do you think of 24 hour vs. AM/PM? 2000 or 8:00 PM?

Witchcraft!

When have you ever heard anyone say its 20 o'clock?

Witchcraft!

When have you ever heard anyone say its 20 o'clock?

When I lived in Oslo the clocks would say 2000. But people would usually say it was 8. My ex who was Norwegian never understood the AM/PM system. In the TV guide it would say a show was on from say 2030-2130. So I got used to it pretty quickly. It's like the military.

For machine sorting purposes it should be Year month day hour minute second etc. This is because it reads like a calendar which makes it easy to sort since it cuts down on ambiguous search branches.

For human readability it depends. For planners it often could be Month day time then year, because planners are often only for one year anyway. This is because when you flip through and look for an appointment, you turn to the desired month first, and then find the day, and so on.

Month first makes sense for scheduling purposes within the same year. Or to illustrate for example, every month has a 10th day, but not every 10th day is in the same month, so you narrow a search much faster by going month first.

you got no idea how often I misplaced my birthdate on the internet because of american formats.

Reactions: Sinny
I Usually say may 1, 2016 not the first of May 2016. I expect everyone to line up with how I do things.