Cross Cultural Experiences | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Cross Cultural Experiences

One of the striking things I do remember was when I was in high school the guidance counselor asked me where I planned on going to school/college. I named the place that I now work at. He asked me why I wanted to go and I said because I had never had the chance to be in an environment where the majority of the people were Native. He was like, "but that environment won't exist anywhere else". I was like, exactly! He didn't understand. I did end up going to the all Native university I spoke of and now years later, I ended up working here. Although the difficulties of the melding of so many different tribal nations plus government bureaucracy can be scream worthy at times, it has been a great honor to be near so many of the People, working at helping Native students become educated to make a difference for their various tribes. It is all sorts of neat and I feel very lucky, even during the most dysfunctional of days. I doubt outside a reservation, there would be such a gathering of Native people anywhere in the US. Plus, no where in the US would you find tribal members from across the United States in one place. It has been a remarkable journey here and I feel better for having been immersed in an environment where the majority of the people are Natives and the minority are non-Native. The respect for beliefs, norms and culture(s) is like a breath of fresh air. To not have to face the idiotic assumptions and down right ignorant or otherwise disrespectful words/actions of non-Natives inside the working environment has been wonderful. To not have anyone look askance if I choose to smoke out my office with cedar or spread tobacco around the perimeter of my office...I cannot express how it has been to been in such an environment.

Last edited: