Creatives: Sensors and Intuitives | INFJ Forum

Creatives: Sensors and Intuitives

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
How do you distinguish between creatives who are Sensors and ones who are Intuitives?

In my view, creative people fall somewhere in the middle of the bell curve in that they have vivid imagination yet can also translate that into a sensoric constellation. So it's really hard to type them.

Reactions: Gaze
In my experience I have assumed that Creative sensors make excellent sculptors, painters, dancers etc, whereas Intuitives made better writers, poets, and theorists.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Congrats on even thinking that Sensors can be creative. That is a first.

In my experience I have assumed that Creative sensors make excellent sculptors, painters, dancers etc, whereas Intuitives made better writers, poets, and theorists.

I am really high on Ni - I love sculpting...painting and if you get me drunk enough I might dance.

I must say, as a sensor I am terrible at the "physical" arts. This may be because I am Si instead of Se.

I am probably best at photography (avatar is my own picture), followed by writing.

I am really high on Ni - I love sculpting...painting and if you get me drunk enough I might dance.

if i'm drunk enough to dance, i'm too drunk to dance.
therein lies my problem with dancing

if i'm drunk enough to dance, i'm too drunk to dance.
therein lies my problem with dancing

Yeah, I am a tad on the clumsy side, the alcohol probably makes me more graceful ;)

Oh, yes, I do do ballet... I tend to get too wrapped up in the technical aspects. Actually, this applies to quite a bit of art. In music, I often focus too much on the mathematical aspects and get frustrated with ambiguous terms.

Never seem to have this problem with photography, though.

Oh, yes, I do do ballet... I tend to get too wrapped up in the technical aspects. Actually, this applies to quite a bit of art. In music, I often focus too much on the mathematical aspects and get frustrated with ambiguous terms.

Never seem to have this problem with photography, though.

Same. I do ballroom dance and I dislike ambiguity a lot of times. Im sure you do ballet better than I do ballroom though.

Congrats on even thinking that Sensors can be creative. That is a first.

I second this. Coming from a wide range of musical friends and acquaintances, the Sensors are great if you give them a piece of sheet music. Take it away and ask them to improv though and you'll see a train wreck.

I second this. Coming from a wide range of musical friends and acquaintances, the Sensors are great if you give them a piece of sheet music. Take it away and ask them to improv though and you'll see a train wreck.

False.

i can also relate to this. i love ambiguity and love to express complex notions/feelings/issues in prose and poetry. for me, it's a matter of presenting what's inside in a readable and digestible manner. when you can be discreet and still say something real i think that can be a great thing.

I think it's more about a combination of Si/Ne, Ni/Se, and what order they fall in your functions that deducts how creative you are and in what ways. Even then it's not a hard, fast rule.

I think it's more about a combination of Si/Ne, Ni/Se, and what order they fall in your functions that deducts how creative you are and in what ways. Even then it's not a hard, fast rule.

Agreed.
Si/Ne or Ne/Si : Different permutations of the same rule / idea. Best : Radical. Worst : Boring. Failed : Plagiarist
Ni/Se or Se/Ni : familiar permutations with a spin of an old idea / entirely new idea. Best : Inventive (Or ingenious). Worst : Insipid. Failed : 'good-on-papers'

Reactions: Owfin
Probably depends on whether they're SF or SJ. I'd assume SF creativity is similar to NFs. The main difference is how they show their creativity. I'd guess SFs are more visual or more attentive to detail. They probably express their creativity through producing spontaneous associations in the moment between discrete and seemingly unrelated details or pieces of information to create something new and interesting. While NF creativity probably comes from their intuition pulling from experiences or internally processing links between perceptions and ideas.

I think differences in how creativity operates or is shown depends more on the P and J, and not just whether someone is an S or N.

I think ISFPs are closer to INFPs in their creative thinking and expression than they are to ISFJs.

Probably depends on whether they're SF or SJ. I'd assume SF creativity is similar to NFs. The main difference is how they show their creativity. I'd guess SFs are more visual or more attentive to detail. They probably express their creativity through producing spontaneous associations in the moment between discrete and seemingly unrelated details or pieces of information to create something new and interesting. While NF creativity probably comes from their intuition pulling from experiences or internally processing links between perceptions and ideas.

I think differences in how creativity operates or is shown depends more on the P and J, and not just whether someone is an S or N.

I think ISFPs are closer to INFPs in their creative thinking and expression than they are to ISFJs.

I also agreed with this.
Maybe a huge part is also our functions; ISFP and INFPs both have Fi; which will make a huge part of their creativity similar to each other. It will be different from the similarity INFP has with INTPs, for instance; or ISFPs with ISTP.

Agreed.
Si/Ne or Ne/Si : Different permutations of the same rule / idea. Best : Radical. Worst : Boring. Failed : Plagiarist
Ni/Se or Se/Ni : familiar permutations with a spin of an old idea / entirely new idea. Best : Inventive (Or ingenious). Worst : Insipid. Failed : 'good-on-papers'

I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly. I haven't noticed anything like that.
Vast majority of my musician friends are Ss. Many many ISFPs. I also think the same could be said about my classmates at artschool. Kiersey has a category Artisan with only sensors. I would say I personally come off identical to a dear friend and co-worker who is ISFP. Like two peas in a pod, but there is a underlying difference. It's reading the world with a different subtext. The movie's similiar but the commentary is different. ...Not that categories ever do justice to particular cases. :)
I think Trifoilum made a very good observation, which I think could have a lot of truth to it.