Corona / Wuhan virus | Page 13 | INFJ Forum

Corona / Wuhan virus

Just for a little perspective.

I mean, your odds of dying from cancer are 1 in 7.
You don't see everyone freaking out about that.
You don't see people not driving their cars.
Folks need to slow their roll...
:<3white:

• Heart disease: one in six

• Cancer: one in seven

• Lower respiratory disease: one in 27

• Suicide: one in 88

• Opioid overdose: one in 96

• Car crash: one in 103

• Fall: one in 114

• Gun assault: one in 285

• Pedestrian incident: one in 556

• Motorcycle crash: 1 in 858

You're more likely to kill yourself than die from Covid-19.

You're more likely to kill yourself than die from Covid-19.
I know what you're trying to say, but those stats are comparing apples to oranges to pineapples.
You have to bring it all down to per annum and we don't have those numbers. What we know right now is it seems about 2% of those who have been identified with it pass on due to complications from it. The unknown boxes are too many to start making any comparisons. We have no clue how many people who are exposed to it even contract it. How many people actually contract it. How many people are dying from complications from it but their deaths are attributed to other issues (looking at you nursing homes)

So to help fill in those other boxes and bring them down to the same unit of measure, what percent of the population dies from cancer in a year? Suicide?

Last edited:
I know what you're trying to say, but those stats are comparing apples to oranges to pineapples.
You have to bring it all down to per annum and we don't have those numbers. What we know right now is it seems about 2% of those who have been identified with it pass on due to complications from it. The unknown boxes are too many to start making any comparisons. We have no clue how many people who are exposed to it even contract it. How many people actually contract it. How many people are dying from complications from it but their deaths are attributed to other issues (looking at you nursing homes)

So to help fill in those other boxes and bring them down to the same unit of measure, what percent of the population dies from cancer in a year? Suicide?
We cannot accomplish this data at present, no matter how internet of things we already are. It's not like there's an app that records every sneeze and cough and fever out there. Medicine is often developed by understanding the data backwards. On second thought, someone could design an app that tries to test people out of symptoms. Make it viral and have it suggest people to go to the doctor and to stay vigilant.

Rather than to race against the virus, we should load up in defense in anticipation of its coming (of course while our most intelligent experts keep an eye on it)

I thought australia was already close to developing a vaccine? Or where was that?

Just for a little perspective.

I mean, your odds of dying from cancer are 1 in 7.
You don't see everyone freaking out about that.
You don't see people not driving their cars.
Folks need to slow their roll...

• Heart disease: one in six

• Cancer: one in seven

• Lower respiratory disease: one in 27

• Suicide: one in 88

• Opioid overdose: one in 96

• Car crash: one in 103

• Fall: one in 114

• Gun assault: one in 285

• Pedestrian incident: one in 556

• Motorcycle crash: 1 in 858

Exactly. I mean people don't freak out about riding motorcycles and airplanes but they freak out about this. People are just amped up because they can't control it. People are not used to not being in control.

We cannot accomplish this data at present, no matter how internet of things we already are. It's not like there's an app that records every sneeze and cough and fever out there. Medicine is often developed by understanding the data backwards. On second thought, someone could design an app that tries to test people out of symptoms. Make it viral and have it suggest people to go to the doctor and to stay vigilant.

Rather than to race against the virus, we should load up in defense in anticipation of its coming (of course while our most intelligent experts keep an eye on it)

I thought australia was already close to developing a vaccine? Or where was that?

Correct. Comparisons simply cannot be made at this time. We can however point to those who have been diagnosed and had minimal issue getting through the virus. That helps to keep the panic down... umm... I think. People still surprise me. (LOL @ TP fights)

A vaccine will take minimum of 18 months to create from what we've heard from scientists who know about this. Don't listen to politicians.

Exactly. I mean people don't freak out about riding motorcycles and airplanes but they freak out about this. People are just amped up because they can't control it. People are not used to not being in control.

Doesn't help that the media is also hyping it up. Hot news = more viewers = higher advertising revenue.
I appreciate the knowledge they share, but not when it's done in a way to upset viewers.
Just about every news source you go to these days has headlines designed to make people overly fear the virus.

we have no idea how widespread this is. .thats because we are so far behind in tracking thanks to our administration. between a lying president, and media that lies for him to protect him, and the opposition flaming the panic we are basicaly on our own to manage this. there is no vaccine, and one is not coming soon enough to do anyone any good in the here and now. your doctor has nothing but supportive care for you. remember, how many viruses have we controlled?? and, viruses mutate making them difficult to find vaccine for. .I dont mean to be the voice of doom ,just reality

we have no idea how widespread this is. .thats because we are so far behind in tracking thanks to our administration. between a lying president, and media that lies for him to protect him, and the opposition flaming the panic we are basicaly on our own to manage this. there is no vaccine, and one is not coming soon enough to do anyone any good in the here and now. your doctor has nothing but supportive care for you. remember, how many viruses have we controlled?? and, viruses mutate making them difficult to find vaccine for. .I dont mean to be the voice of doom ,just reality

That is the very reason why people are sounding the alarm and have been doing so as people need to be made aware Before it gets to where there is nothing to be done as relying on government only sets people up for a huge fail. The comfortable either don't have any experience at all or they have forgotten lessons like Hurricane Katrina where it took six days to get bottled water to the super dome. Those that say everything is fine have an agenda much the same as those who are always have something to sell.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238

Coronavirus: Northern Italy quarantines 16 million people

Far too little far to feckin late.

More and more convinced the WHO is toothless, if it wasn't a Pandemic before what the hell is this.

All this will do is screw with the Italian economy. This isn't good. Italy is supposed to a major pillar in the EU's economy if they go wonky it going to be a very bad day for the rest. Germany is close to recession as is, but fortunately they have a Surplus to deal with it. France though? Spain?

Ugh.

And they'll probably do something similiar in the US eventually. I bloody hope not though, my paperwork could get stuck as government offices close and then its not long until the money runs out...

I really don't want to have moved to the US just to starve and die on the streets...

Correct. Comparisons simply cannot be made at this time. We can however point to those who have been diagnosed and had minimal issue getting through the virus. That helps to keep the panic down... umm... I think. People still surprise me. (LOL @ TP fights)

A vaccine will take minimum of 18 months to create from what we've heard from scientists who know about this. Don't listen to politicians.

I doubt 18. I've heard closer to about 9 now. They're already in animal trials, going into human within a few months.

They're also able to use some other vaccines that didn't work for Ebola but have some effecacy on Coronaviruses.

I don't understand the tissue fight at all. People are stocking up on tissue not sanitizers. I'm confused.

How long can a household last without toilet paper?

People want excess supplies so they have enough. Unfortunately its dumb because by stocking up it runs out faster...

That is the very reason why people are sounding the alarm and have been doing so as people need to be made aware Before it gets to where there is nothing to be done as relying on government only sets people up for a huge fail. The comfortable either don't have any experience at all or they have forgotten lessons like Hurricane Katrina where it took six days to get bottled water to the super dome. Those that say everything is fine have an agenda much the same as those who are always have something to sell.

I agree to an extent.

Even if the government always has your best interest at heart (which it may not do), its slow, clumsy and ineffecient so you need to survive long enough for life to pull back together, goverment assistance or not.

Our govenor has finally called a press conference to give us the scoop. We have 76 active cases of the virus, 141 under quarantine, and 3 dead.

I dunno about others, but I'm going to keep on living my calm and quiet lifestyle. What will be, will be. I'm not going to waste energy fretting.

All the hoopla, false exagerated stories, and out right panic in some places should be met with the same response as someone pulling the fire alarm in the dark and crowded theater ... 'fire? I don't smell smoke, show me the flame.'

My heart goes out to the service and industrial workforce. Many of these individuals live pay check to paycheck with school-age children to feed. They do not have paid sick leave to cover the time they would need to stay at home if quarantined or while the schools are closed until their quarantine is lifted. The flip side of this is can I trust that if these struggling individuals will have courage to do the more difficult thing and stay home when sick, or will they go into work anyway?

It's a tough decision regardless the job.

I also get what you are saying too, but the death rates are not the same across all age groups...2% applied to everyone is incorrect.

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 5.36.13 AM.png
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

It's not until you get above age 60 that we get into the 2% range.
So while that isn't as comforting to those who may be in that age range, or have loved ones in that range, the vast majority of those freaking out and buying all the toilet paper off the shelves at the store are doing so unnecessarily.
(who would have thought people would have a run on TP? You can always wash your ass in the shower if need be though not ideal, lol)
As far as the numbers of the population that dies from cancer in a year, here are the US stats -
Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 5.45.03 AM.png
https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/facts-and-figures-2019.html

You are right though, we don't have all the accurate info on Covid-19 yet as it is still novel.
I'm sure the statistics will fluctuate.
You still have a far greater chance dying in the car going to the nursing home than from contracting and succumbing to the illness at this point in time.
I understand your concerns though, especially in regards to your Father (my Mom has Lupus and will be 70 next year).
I'm here in WA state and it is that nursing home near Tacoma where several have gotten ill and died, so that is a concern yes.
We all need to be especially vigilant in those conditions with that percentage of the population.
I'm not trying to discount the legitimate concerns of people who are at a higher risk than others - but point out that many who think they are in this 2-3% category actually are not.
I've been keeping your Dad in my prayers and meditations, it wouldn't be a bad idea to call the place where he is and express your concerns to them and make sure they are on top of precautions...limiting visitors, especially children, etc.
With any luck this will fizzle out like many other such novel bugs that appear every so often.
Much love!

Last edited:
For crying out loud...