[INFJ] - Conversation Vs Writing Vs Social Media | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Conversation Vs Writing Vs Social Media

"Will un-intentially hurt your feelings with a single sentence because conversation is not my strong point. But you're really rad. I don't mean that in a creepy way. Fuck. Awkward now."

Haha!! Now that's good chicken!

Remember that misunderstanding we had? That was all me! I usually feel like I'm not being clear when I communicate in writing and can go on for days saying the same thing in different ways. Then, if i read a comment about something I wrote that I'm uncertain about I flip out and try to make it more clear. Sometimes to the other person's detriment.

Reactions: Free and Asa
I've been ... reading your posts on the forum for a couple of months now and I never once thought, 'geez, that Asa is a total awkward conversationalist.' I assure you, I found nothing that stood out in your writing that would tip me off that you were somehow stranger than anyone else.

Not unless insight and grace makes one strange.

Best to You,
Ian

@Milktoast Bandit - Our conversation was the perfect example of this. We went back and forth for days, both on the forum and privately, trying to explain what we meant to each other.

@Milktoast Bandit - Our conversation was the perfect example of this. We went back and forth for days, both on the forum and privately, trying to explain what we meant to each other.

Well, it wasn't that long! Lol but it did take some time, only for me to realize you understood me from the very beginning. Haha! I felt like a dickhole!

Reactions: Free and Asa
maybe as INFJs, we subconsciously assume outright that people won't "get" us. It's been more than a year on the forum now and I am still amazed at the incredible level of understanding I have found here. I write something and think...oh wow..this won't go over well, but click Post anyway and am just floored by the positive responses I get. It's equally amazing to resonate with so much of what others are posting. <3

I tried to be mindful of tone when I'm writing. I don't know if I really succeed or claim to be some kind of expert, but when I type, I type in a voice. It just makes it easier. I throw in a bit of personalisms like jokes or curious turns of phrases, an illustrative adjective or complicate things with a whole bunch of commas and stretch my sentences to indicate a messy train of thought, emphasizing the human over the formal grammar. I find that the cut and dry kind of writing, the sort of thing that could pass in a business email or a school essay, always, always comes across as cold. Short hand text speak comes across as childish and artificial. Too many five dollar words, and you come across as a pretentious SOB.

When in doubt, though, I resort to emojis. It's a cop out but hey, better than hurting someone feelings. Doesn't cost me anything to stick in a smilie face or a wink if I want to keep it simple but want to be sure they know I'm not being curt.

emojis - the saviours of social media interaction.

Reactions: Free
maybe as INFJs, we subconsciously assume outright that people won't "get" us. It's been more than a year on the forum now and I am still amazed at the incredible level of understanding I have found here. I write something and think...oh wow..this won't go over well, but click Post anyway and am just floored by the positive responses I get. It's equally amazing to resonate with so much of what others are posting. <3
<3
You're right, we do. :)
I usually run into bigger trouble when I assume a person knows me well enough to get my humor and I remove my "be careful people don't get you" filter.
This forum is great. The people here are really supportive, even when they're being sarcastic.

Tough to post on Facebook, because I don't have an active life which requires me sharing pics or others stuff regularly. If I'm part of a group, I occasionally post a response to a thread question or prompt, but that's pretty much it. Mostly, I use Facebook to post on timelines when I'm reminded by notification that it's someone's birthday.

I rejoined Twitter, but I'm still trying to figure it out. But really, most of these social media sites require that you have something to share with the world every second of the day, or at least every hour. You really have to work hard to keep people entertained.

I tend to look at... speaking on social media/texting as a whole 'nother language altogether. Because it really is. In texting, we don't have body-language, or traditional facial expressions, but we have other tools to help us convey our intentions.

List of things that change the tone of your message:

-Word choice!
"That's fantastic!" vs "That's nice!" or "Canadians tend to eat a lot!" vs "Canadians love food!" (one may give the impression that you're saying it in a negative light) When I first got introduced to the internet, I exaggerated happiness/positive emotions to an extreme, because I didn't want people to think I was being cold, mean, etc. And it really can help to just exaggerate a little on your positive emotions/thoughts, so that people for sure get what you mean.

-Punctuation!(!!!)
"Nice." vs "Nice!" This doesn't mean you should go around throwing exclamation marks at everyone, but it's good to be aware of how your punctuation may effect the portrayal of your message. ;P Sometimes, if I'm chatting with someone in a chat room or something, I won't use periods if my message sounds a little too formal already (I only do that for short messages like "The water is kind of blue" That's a bad example of where you would need one but oh well). Periods just have a way of making things seem more serious. Whereas exclamation marks, make you sound a bit more exasperated! Excited!!! SUPER EXCITED!!! AND FANGIRLING!!!!!!!1!1@!!!!(!!!)
So yeah, it's good to pay attention to how you punctuate things. ^_^

-Smilies!
Yay, we can imitate facial expressions! XP "Hello." vs "Hello. :) " These are also SUPER helpful when you are a sarcastic person (sometimes the people that are the MOST sarcastic don't realize I'm being sarcastic, which makes me wonder just how well I'm executing it... but in any case, it's safe to assume sarcasm needs an extra hand on the internet). Nooo, REALLY??? *sarcasm warning* ;P
Yes, you can outright WARN them after you say the sarcastic thing, or you can turn into a wink-monster. ;) Smilies can also help with awkward conversations. Don't know how to reply to a wink or a kissy face or someone's rant about their bad day? Bomb those suckers with smilies (I've been calling them smilies because I don't know how to spell the technical term, emoticon-- THERE), and by smilies that can be anything that looks remotely like a face (Examples: B) 8) ;-; :/ O.O O>O o-o 8D ). I mean, if you use them tactfully they can really help. c:

I personally also try to match how the other person texts. So if they use less emoticons, I'll probably use less emoticons. If they use more "text speak" I might use more of that as well. It really depends on the situation and the person. People tend to be more comfortable if you communicate how they're used to communicating. So when in doubt, maybe try matching the tone of the message on facebook, or tumbler, or whatever! Sometimes it really helps. There's also things to take into account such as age, sex, location. It's not cool to generalize, but you can generalize in your head a bit, to give you an idea of how people may react to things. For instance, if you're talking to a fifteen year old boy, it's likely that he'll get your sarcasm, if you make sure it's clear you're being sarcastic. However on a sixty year old, your sarcasm may be lost altogether. And the neat thing about FB is you can "stalk" people (whom you KNOW, my goodness XP) and figure out just how they communicate- all you have to do is observe there previous wall posts/comments.

Anyway, that's how I've learned to get around the screen. And I actually communicate far better online then I do offline... cell towers just don't carry it the same! ;P

Reactions: Night Owl
Also I forgot to mention that it can also be really helpful to say exactly what you mean- and address/make everyone aware of the convo and how it could be interpreted in a bad light and what you actually mean by it. I do this all the time! For instance, I might say something like... the message I posted above might come across as me thinking I'm the only one that knows this or something- but I'm really not trying to be... pretentious or anything like that! I just wanted to share what I've yearned over the years so that maybe it can help someone else out! Also I like rambling about things! XP

Reactions: Night Owl
@Hoodie - yeah, spot on! I'm also super conscious of how what I write/type will be interpreted and thus although I prefer to minimise certain communications online, out of the reluctance to bother with the possibility of misunderstanding, I really do think I've had hardly a single instance of people misunderstanding me via social media (on a forum - well the odds go down a bit there lol).

You spoke like a true Fe. And in the spirit of Fe: :D

Reactions: Hoodie
I just had a moment where I was nearly reduced to tears because:

1. I stupidly used FB. Why do I use FB? It's the worst.

2. Commented on a friend's post and he mistook my tone.

This happens somewhat often for me on any platform where I am writing conversationally. In person, I may word what I say poorly, or fumble with applying words to thoughts, but my tone lets people know my intent.

Social media and forums (including INFJs) are hard for me - It is like conversing in type form. I fumble and I come across differently than intended. People don't warm up to me unless we have deep, one-on-one conversations (via messaging or email) that let me write in a more creative and meaningful style.

However, like many INFJs, I write beautifully when I am writing creatively, writing essays (such as for school), or letters of any kind. I am a published author, and at school I passed with flying colors whenever we had to write. There were times in school (before college) when my writing earned me A's even if I didn't read the material.

I cannot transfer that skill to conversational typing. I'm not that good at conversation, especially chat. Social media/forum conversations are the same.

It's hopeless.

Do you relate?

How do you make it work?

What are your thoughts and feelings on this conversation/written word INFJ dilemma?)

Please feel free to laugh along with me. :)
Looks to me like you're just being an INFJ. I've joined and quit FB about 4 or 5 times, and am considering leaving again. I used to post a lot on You Tube, but people can be very argumentative. I too have frequently misread a comment. Maybe like me, you too have a tendency to be on "high alert," making us susceptible to expect the need to protect ourselves or right a perceived wrong.

I think this is the first forum I've been this active in. It's nice to see so much participation, and to have such a gathering of introverts.

You mentioned making all writing creative. That's become my intention these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Siimplicity
Looks to me like you're just being an INFJ. I've joined and quit FB about 4 or 5 times, and am considering leaving again. I used to post a lot on You Tube, but people can be very argumentative. I too have frequently misread a comment. Maybe like me, you too have a tendency to be on "high alert," making us susceptible to expect the need to protect ourselves or right a perceived wrong.

I think this is the first forum I've been this active in. It's nice to see so much participation, and to have such a gathering of introverts.

You mentioned making all writing creative. That's become my intention these days.

Sorry, Pleiades, I meant this response for Asa. Tried to remove it,
It would be awesome to hear about the published work of you guys some time in the future.
I second that!

I tried to be mindful of tone when I'm writing. I don't know if I really succeed or claim to be some kind of expert, but when I type, I type in a voice. It just makes it easier. I throw in a bit of personalisms like jokes or curious turns of phrases, an illustrative adjective or complicate things with a whole bunch of commas and stretch my sentences to indicate a messy train of thought, emphasizing the human over the formal grammar. I find that the cut and dry kind of writing, the sort of thing that could pass in a business email or a school essay, always, always comes across as cold. Short hand text speak comes across as childish and artificial. Too many five dollar words, and you come across as a pretentious SOB.

When in doubt, though, I resort to emojis. It's a cop out but hey, better than hurting someone feelings. Doesn't cost me anything to stick in a smilie face or a wink if I want to keep it simple but want to be sure they know I'm not being curt.
I haven't included emojis much, but I have employed your other tactics. I think you're onto something.

As soon as I try to add humor the whole ship sinks. It could have to do w/ many people perceiving me as a serious person. People who know me well (and understand my humor and my lighthearted tone) "get it", but I don't know many people super well. I'm just going to stop commenting on posts. And stop posting anything conversational on my own page.
I also feel like I should wear a warning label, 'Awkward Conversationalist'.
or
"Will un-intentially hurt your feelings with a single sentence because conversation is not my strong point. But you're really rad. I don't mean that in a creepy way. Fuck. Awkward now."
Just a suggestion: instead of giving up, try baby steps. Read a few posts. Make note of the ones you liked and wanted to respond to. Before responding, play it out in your head as a conversation (rehearse). Maybe even type it out on a Word or Pages document, as a monologue. Look it over. These are tools I've employed in the past, for in person as well as online interaction. Additionally, I've just found I'm less interested in interacting with most of what's out there. When I hang out with friends, I do more listening than talking - except for a joke or light zinger. Otherwise, unless asked about something, I'm pretty silent. I feel fine, and they've gotten used to it.

I mentioned in another post that I have been more active here than anywhere else. I've gone years without posting on You Tube. On FB, I share videos more than anything. When I do post a comment (usually, a single sentence), I've somehow managed to find words that elicit no more than a "like."

Reactions: Asa
Is it the one person mistaking your tone that's colouring this whole thing or has this happened more than a handful of times? How do you know that other people 'don't get it'? Could it be that you're maybe looking at it from the expectation that you're awkward/people think you're awkward? Is it possible that maybe the couple of people that gave you the impression are the problem?

I mean, I've been interacting with you and reading your posts on the forum for a couple of months now and I never once thought, 'geez, that Asa is a total awkward conversationalist.' I assure you, I found nothing that stood out in your writing that would tip me off that you were somehow stranger than anyone else. Why would anyone on Facebook have a different impression?

I agree with atree here. I've only been on this site for about a couple weeks, but I've read several of your posts. Although, you are probably among more likeminded people, which could be the difference. FB, like most social media, is the realm of the extravert.

FB, like most social media, is the realm of the extravert

I disagree. It does a good job of segregating introverts and extroverts though. Perhaps you are surrounding yourself with extroverts on that particular platform.
It allows introverts to be lurkers, and create their own small (often private) introvert circles.
They are there, just using it more... quietly :mlight:

Sorry, Pleiades, I meant this response for Asa. Tried to remove it,

I just edited your post and deleted Pleiades' post quote and replaced it with Asa's OP quote since that's what you intended to quote, as it seemed like the most obvious fix. If you wanted the post deleted altogether, just let me know.

Edit: Also, when quoting multiple posts/people in a row, using the multi-quote feature (the little " with + Quote next to it) can make it a bit easier and simpler, rather than making a bunch of separate posts. :)

I disagree. It does a good job of segregating introverts and extroverts though. Perhaps you are surrounding yourself with extroverts on that particular platform.
It allows introverts to be lurkers, and create their own small (often private) introvert circles.
They are there, just using it more... quietly :mlight:

Plotting... scheming...... entirely innocent things...

Reactions: Wyote