compare and contrast Ni and Ne | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

compare and contrast Ni and Ne

Fair enough, I'd accept that. Though meanings and possibilties exist within both N realms, it's just a case of which dominates the other.

Possibilities > meanings = Ne, meanings > possibilities = Ni.

Deriving meaning is Ni and Si.

Ne and Se observe external stimulus. Ni and Si define what it means for the subject.

Ne sees possible meanings; Ni considers meaningful possibilities.

Ne and Se observe external stimulus. Ni and Si define what it means for the subject.

Interesting. As sensing is focusing on the concrete, would you say that Si derives realistic meaning, and Se realistic possibilities?

Ni and Si are perception functions, but defining seems like it either is or demands judgment. I think this is part of what always gets me confused when I try to describe my experience of Ni. I end up using active words that seem to go beyond just the action of perception and I begin to wonder if I'm really describing Ni or somehow confusing my judging functions into the description. Ne and Se seem more straight perception.

I don't disagree with your assessment, especially the mapping description of Ni and Si, but I feel confused about how this works as a perceiving function. Am I getting hung up on words that don't really do the actual experience justice? Am I missing something important? Do you have anything to offer that would clear that up for me?

oooh~ Ni ~ Ne... This was always so confusing for me :eek:~

But aanyways what I want to know more about it how the differences affect things.... uuhm what I mean is.... Does having Ne dominance mean you acknowledge different possibilities in a such a way that it shapes your personality so that you find value in all possible answers?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwv0ShGrsH8&feature=related"]YouTube - Re: ENFP[/ame]

Or is it the other way round... Because you find it important that there are or should be many possibe truths... that your N function works in an "expansive way?

What it all boils down to is.... Do our functions determine our values and character :eek: Or do our values determine the way our functions work?

I knooooow the two are heavilly correlated~(values and function)~~~ but but ~ It could work both ways right? :p and anyways ~ it's interesting to see the two overlap making everything so much more interesting and messy~

I don't disagree with your assessment, especially the mapping description of Ni and Si, but I feel confused about how this works as a perceiving function. Am I getting hung up on words that don't really do the actual experience justice? Am I missing something important? Do you have anything to offer that would clear that up for me?
Uh yeah, semantics. I could have worded that better.

Ni and Si are perception functions, but defining seems like it either is or demands judgment. I think this is part of what always gets me confused when I try to describe my experience of Ni. I end up using active words that seem to go beyond just the action of perception and I begin to wonder if I'm really describing Ni or somehow confusing my judging functions into the description. Ne and Se seem more straight perception.

The difference is that Ni and Si create a context through experience. They are experience-based functions that continuously sort out the external data and put it into a context.

Fi and Ti are innate orientations.

For example, an INFJ who is brought up in a conservative religious environment might hold equally as conservative views on life. But if his Ti allows him, he would always judge things based on what seems more logical. For instance, he would see why stoning people to death might be wrong with his Ti, but still consider it important (Ni) for myriad of reasons.

In his case: stoning people is wrong (Ti), but it is meaningful (Ni).

Reactions: Trifoilum
Interesting. As sensing is focusing on the concrete, would you say that Si derives realistic meaning, and Se realistic possibilities?

If you're looking at it the same way as I am, then yes. Although I wouldn't use the term "realistic".

Si is a map of sensory data. When we recall sensations from Si, we are looking for what feels familiar and therefore meaningful. Se is being aware of the physical world, and the many possible ways it could change.

Last edited:
Well at a basic level Ni is an act of compression and Ne is an act of expansion. With Ni you start with a lot of ideas, some of them may be very contrary to eachother, and look for new ways of understanding that fits them into a whole picture. With Ne you usually start with one and idea relate it to another, its an analogy making function. Eventually you start relating analogies to analogies threading things together untill you can scale back and see the big picture.

:m200:

In other words, probability.
Hmm. Meaningful possibilities does involves probability, in the sense of choosing between a myriad of choices, but I guess in Ni it tries to define -- by ways of elimination or assimilation. In Ne it tries to uncover -- by means of expansion or multiplication.

Also, I imagined / using metaphors, in Ni types of decision, it's one single, compressed, strong thoughts. While Ne often looks like a myriad of ideas.....a barrage of ideas in one group.

To @Oranguh; I just would like to add that with other different functions, the form becomes quite...muddled. (And the main reason for people mistyping). And that's all fine; it's what makes us human.

What it all boils down to is.... Do our functions determine our values and character :eek: Or do our values determine the way our functions work?

I knooooow the two are heavilly correlated~(values and function)~~~ but but ~ It could work both ways right? :p and anyways ~ it's interesting to see the two overlap making everything so much more interesting and messy~
They're in a massive, complicated, intricate dance. Tango, I suppose? The way one sees the world can affect with the way one reacts with the world, and vice versa, if I try to simplify it. But I suggest not taking it on face value.