Christian Bale's Batman/Bruce Wayne? | INFJ Forum

Christian Bale's Batman/Bruce Wayne?

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
I loved Batman Begins and can't wait to see the Dark Knight, anyway I was wondering about this version of Batman and whether he is INFJ.

Here is what I think;

Introverted: Seems obvious, he was quiet and brooding throughout the movie, only seems to have two friends (Alfred and Tom Cruise's wife). Very independent.

iNuitive: He's all about symbols and metaphors (when he becomes Batman he is one).

Feeling: He makes decisions that would seem to be without logic (climbing a mountain to give a ninja a flower so he can join the ninja vigilante group, doesn't sound logical), He refused to join the league of shadows because they used cold hard logic without considering innocent casualties, he stood by his ethics, flying round town in a bat suit not particularly logical.

Judging: He's Batman, tends to make decicions fairly easily, once he found his purpose in life he got his act together and started taking lots of action. Seems quite J.

He's an NF, totally idealistic wants to rid Gotham of crime by himself one bad dude at a time.

He is deep and mysterious.

He is creative and seems to have a thing for aesthetics.

He does what he feels is the "right" thing to do.

Fantasizes about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless (and actually takes action).

He revealed his identity to Katie Holmes by using a metaphor.

Some Quotes:
Henri Ducard: Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share.
Bruce Wayne: That's why it's so important. It separates us from them.

Bruce Wayne: Mm... I'm not finished. To all of you, uh, all you phonies, all of you two-faced friends, you sycophantic suck-ups who smile through your teeth at me, please leave me in peace. Please go. Stop smiling. It's not a joke. Please leave. The party's over. Get out.

Bruce Wayne: People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy and I can't do that as Bruce Wayne, as a man I'm flesh and blood I can be ignored I can be destroyed but as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting.

Thoughts?

This will of course sound like I am just claiming him for my type: I think he is an INTJ. You do have some points concerning the F-preference, but I am thinking about the Jungian Functions. I think he has Te and Fi rather than Ti and Fe. Tough call, though.

I agree. Batman himself is an INTJ, but Christian Bales batman seems to be an INFJ.

Everything Batman does is extremely logical, he's a scientist, a psychologist, a stage magician and a martial artist. He's everything he needs to be in order to win his war.
Everything Bale does, well it's idealism at its finest, but without the scientist, or martial artist bits. He doesn't really think things through, actually believing that a district attorney can win batmans war against crime.

Just got back from the new release of the Dark Knight. Fricken awesome!

Satya said:
but the joker is far too rational. no matter how much he goes on and on about being an agent of chaos, all he does is talk people to death, where's the joker gas?

Ive never understood batman.. he seems to me as a very dull, conservative and rich lad. He have no super powers and only uses gadgets to help him off, due to the lack of talents... and he likes blonds. I cant see where he is creative (outside from the gadgets, but where is the evidence that HE actual made them?), someone should fill me up on that one. But then again; he fights crime, is social conscious, and even seems empathic.

Hes like a masked rubber version of james bond to me.. i enjoy the batman movies mainly because of the villains (poison ivy - hoooot, cat woman - he should have fucked her ffs!, the joker, riddler, two face etc), they are all such strong characters. I also like the Gothic theme of the whole series, even tho i find it ironic that a "upperclass" superhero is supposed to be goth.

in the movies he uses gadgets a lot because they get high profile actors to play the role and they won't bother training in the over 9000 martial arts he knows. in the comics he uses gadgets to enhance his crime fighting, not to supplement skills. if you read any of the graphic novels instead of watching the movies, or even the wikipedia article, you'd see that he spends a lot of time making them, or "stealing" them from the RnD department of WayneTech, after creating them first.

heh, it's why they call it "Gotham"

i haven't really read any comics at all the last 15 years im afraid. And particularly not batman comics or any superhero, dc or anything remotely related to them. So i can pretty much only relate to batman as i see him in the movies. But off course, Hollywood aren't always known to be true to anything other than the paycheck.

I might like the comic version of batman more now, but as of now, hes still one of the most dullest superheros after superman and the phantom. And the fact that i find martial arts extremely boring doesn't help it either :D

ShaiGar said:
Satya said:
but the joker is far too rational. no matter how much he goes on and on about being an agent of chaos, all he does is talk people to death, where's the joker gas?

I liked this joker better. Rather than feeling cartoony, he felt like an actual serial killer. He scared me.

He scared you? Didn't scare me much... Mark Hamils joker scared me a lot more BECAUSE of the cartoonish nature, it's harder to predict someone as powerful, genius and chaotic as the cartoon joker, though ledgers joker is just another man that can be killed.

ShaiGar said:
He scared you? Didn't scare me much... Mark Hamils joker scared me a lot more BECAUSE of the cartoonish nature, it's harder to predict someone as powerful, genius and chaotic as the cartoon joker, though ledgers joker is just another man that can be killed.

I was not able to predict most of the things this joker did, but I wasn't surprised when he did them. I guess I find realism a bit more scary. To each his own.

He better win an Oscar for that performance though.

Why? Because he died? The Oscar ought to go to either Steve Carell, or Indiana Jones.

ulan_bat0r said:
i haven't really read any comics at all the last 15 years im afraid. And particularly not batman comics or any superhero, dc or anything remotely related to them. So i can pretty much only relate to batman as i see him in the movies. But off course, Hollywood aren't always known to be true to anything other than the paycheck.

I might like the comic version of batman more now, but as of now, hes still one of the most dullest superheros after superman and the phantom. And the fact that i find martial arts extremely boring doesn't help it either :D
http://shaigar.com/download/Batman - The Man Who Laughs.cbr - This one is uploaded.
http://shaigar.com/download/Batman - The Killing Joke.cbr - This one WILL be soon uploaded, 40 minutes after this post is pasted, it will be downloadable.

They should give you a keener insight.

ShaiGar said:
Why? Because he died? The Oscar ought to go to either Steve Carell, or Indiana Jones.

No, because his performance was superb. I also feel he shouldn't win an Oscar just because he died, but I was taken back by how well he played the part. It was very convincing. Anyone could have played a cartoony Joker, but this unconventional one was something unique.

In comics everybody tries to play an "unconventional" character, because "anyone" could portray the comic version. Apart from Marvel producing IronMan, noone has ever attempted to portray the comic characters as the character. therefore THAT is unconventional. Disregarding any inspiration from graphic novels, and making his own interpretation of a psychopath because "he couldn't get through them" is about as conventional as you get.

ShaiGar said:
two very bad choices. Care to indulge us in why these two? Javier Bardem should get it, hands down. :p

ShaiGar said:
In comics everybody tries to play an "unconventional" character, because "anyone" could portray the comic version. Apart from Marvel producing IronMan, noone has ever attempted to portray the comic characters as the character. therefore THAT is unconventional. Disregarding any inspiration from graphic novels, and making his own interpretation of a psychopath because "he couldn't get through them" is about as conventional as you get.

I would have to say the old Adam West version Joker was cartoony enough. I'll guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Batman is the best. Better than Superman, Wonder Woman, and everyone else. Easily.

ShaiGar said:
He doesn't really think things through, actually believing that a district attorney can win batmans war against crime.

Yes, he tends to let others do a lot of thinking for him (Alfred, Raz, Holmes, Gordon etc.) he takes action based on things these people tell him he should do which doesn't seem unlike INFJ behaviour.

I'm glad this thread has no spoilers! I live in a backwater where the Dark Knight doesn't come out for another few days... :mrgreen:

I just recently saw a batman movie in portugese on tv.
The joker really desapointed me. I thought he was a lot cooler from memory.
What happened to the Purple hair and the white face?