Certainty

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
another musing of mine; so deliciously J/P clashing, I'm tempted to put them in the J/P Differences thread, but I'm going to focus on this one particular aspect.

Given a choice, do you choose a certainty of uncertainty, or an uncertainty of certainty?

Okay, I'm being playing with words but; simply put, do you prefer being certain about being uncertain, or being uncertain about being certain?

And why?

Uncertainty of certainty. Sometimes I love drowning myself in a sea of questions. :D

I am very J. I am also aware that uncertainty is certain. What I have done in my mind is make uncertainty a variable so it "fits" into my J-ness. I treat it like a variable in a line of code to be executed.

Being certain about being uncertain sounds like a really strange thing. What's the alternative, being uncertain about being uncertain? Isn't that more certain?

:/

Being certain about being uncertain sounds like a really strange thing. What's the alternative, being uncertain about being uncertain? Isn't that more certain?

certainly.

I'm very P and this thread has lost me.

Last edited:
I would have to say a certainty of being uncertain.

Being uncertain about being certain seems a bit like a hypothesis to me.
It hasn't been proven yet, but there's a chance.

I'd rather formulate things on my own, fix my uncertainty.

And may I add that after saying certain aloud a few times I hate the way it sounds.

I would have to say a certainty of being uncertain.

Being uncertain about being certain seems a bit like a hypothesis to me.
It hasn't been proven yet, but there's a chance.

I'd rather formulate things on my own, fix my uncertainty.

And may I add that after saying certain aloud a few times I hate the way it sounds.

How can you be certain that what we perceive as certainty doesn't only have a high probability but isn't actually certain?

We don't live long enough for that luxury.

another musing of mine; so deliciously J/P clashing, I'm tempted to put them in the J/P Differences thread, but I'm going to focus on this one particular aspect.

Given a choice, do you choose a certainty of uncertainty, or an uncertainty of certainty?

Okay, I'm being playing with words but; simply put, do you prefer being certain about being uncertain, or being uncertain about being certain?

And why?

being certain about being uncertain sounds better, since it'd be a gamble to assume you could be 100% certain about anything. less of a chance of having the rug pulled out from under you if you're certain about being uncertain -like that saying "all i know is i know nothing" i think Socrates said that. although it would naturally lead to the question, how could you even be certain of that? if you could be certain about uncertainty about any particular thing, then maybe that uncertainty is unwarranted and you actually could be certain about it =P

being certain about being uncertain sounds better, since it'd be a gamble to assume you could be 100% certain about anything. less of a chance of having the rug pulled out from under you if you're certain about being uncertain -like that saying "all i know is i know nothing" i think Socrates said that. although it would naturally lead to the question, how could you even be certain of that? if you could be certain about uncertainty about any particular thing, then maybe that uncertainty is unwarranted and you actually could be certain about it =P

I don't know if all I know is nothing. Maybe I know something? Who knows? I certainly don't! Or do I....

I prefer being certain about uncertainty. In fact, I am not usually happy until the degree of uncertainty has been quantified as a percentage (and if applicable stated as a degree of error +/- 5%, for instance).

That way, when something random happens, it is entirely expected.

How can you be certain that what we perceive as certainty only has a high probability but isn't actually certain?

This is so intense.

The J in me wants a reasonable definition for "certainty" so that things can be define (in context). All I can say is that certainty varies with perspective and context. Nothing is really certain, so shouldn't it be variable? Shouldn't certainty be defined on a case by case basis?

I am certain that there is no certain answer for this question.

I actually find this question rather interesting, but I'm not certain we can know that certainty of uncertainty or uncertainty of certainty is anything beyond uncertainty.

For if you are uncertain of certainty, that certainty is a false certainty, because it is uncertain. Conversely, if you are certain of uncertainty, that uncertainty still could be a truth or a falsehood because it certainly uncertain.

Reactions: Trifoilum
Now that I ponder about it, saying certain a few times too many really does its magic. Now I'm confused myself.

I also pondered; where does uncertainty ends and certainty begins? >_>; is 60 % certain being uncertain? Or not? Is it a black-or-white issue? The same issue could be pondered in reverse; where does certainty ends?

Not really. Being uncertain about being uncertain is this, "Hmm, I don't think I know this, but really, do I? Or maybe I do not, after all?"

Being certain about uncertain is, "Oh well, I don't know this, after all."

I actually find this question rather interesting, but I'm not certain we can know that certainty of uncertainty or uncertainty of certainty is anything beyond uncertainty.

For if you are uncertain of certainty, that certainty is a false certainty, because it is uncertain. Conversely, if you are certain of uncertainty, that uncertainty still could be a truth or a falsehood because it certainly uncertain.

the truth is probably you can be certain about certain things, and uncertain about other things, but discerning which is which would be an educated guess at best and thus subject to a certain level of uncertainty!~ xD

Reactions: KazeCraven
Now that I ponder about it, saying certain a few times too many really does its magic. Now I'm confused myself.

I also pondered; where does uncertainty ends and certainty begins? >_>; is 60 % certain being uncertain? Or not? Is it a black-or-white issue? The same issue could be pondered in reverse; where does certainty ends?

Not really. Being uncertain about being uncertain is this, "Hmm, I don't think I know this, but really, do I? Or maybe I do not, after all?"

Being certain about uncertain is, "Oh well, I don't know this, after all."

I think certainty, then is purely psychological. (Was this redundant?)

All we're saying is that we've decided our knowledge just isn't good enough, when really it could very well be. Both C of U and U of U are equally unreliable.

How can you be certain that what we perceive as certainty doesn't only have a high probability but isn't actually certain?

That's the thing (;
I'm never really certain.

That's why I'd rather admit my total uncertainty.

I wouldn't want to live long enough for that luxury.
That's a lot to deal with just to be certain about some things.