Case Study/Analysis of Character | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Case Study/Analysis of Character

id definately say ESFP....these negative attributes probably stemmed after knowing the person for a while?if on the initial impression they were charismatic charmers its very likely.fun to hang around with at first yet deep relationships incredibly difficult?

I wasn't looking for a label to simply stick on someone more so than to understand why they are this way and what if anything can be done to initiate change as you can not change another person unless they want to change themselves. So I appreciate the discussion so far.

If anyone feels like they need more information here's a little extra:
*The first post was based on 8 years.
* I didn't date theis person nor do I have the desire to
*They genuinely come off as a nice person because they are fully capable of being nice.
*There is no hidden motive to the inquiry, my intentions are rather straight forward....understanding of this person, not simply labeling this person because labeling is sometimes easy but understanding is hard. I feel as though it is important because it becomes nothing but egotistical and a superiority complex to simply write off all who you are bothered with. Especially with it already being difficult as an infj. We must learn to incorporate ourselves with everyone else. Of course we share different values but I don't dislike people simply because we differ. My delima is I am fixated on the fact that the person although nice can be so completely apathetic to others as though life is about how the world fits them, as opposed to fitting into the world.

didnt know everyone on this forum had a psychology degree!

Well, you can have your opinion in book or piece of music even if you are not studied literature and music...

I agree that the overwhelming negativity of the traits listed makes it hard to type, but they still do suggest certain functions:

• A highly materialistic attitude, along with assumptions of shallow value judgments (based solely on looks) suggest strong Se. Speaking in strict MBTI terms, this is supported by the Perceiver traits of opting to move frequently between homes, relationships and demeanors, and being willing to take shortcuts and give up futile enterprises.
  • Fi is suggested more by the absence of the alternatives. I doubt that a person can really "not believe in morals," because even in the absence of a well-considered moral system, any person will find certain things emotionally distasteful, even if se is full of double standards and would only apply morality to shis own misfortunes at the hands of others. But if this person is really that inconsiderate, Fe is ruled out. Te would not mesh well with the strong Perceiver qualities already mentioned. Ti is possible, but it would seem a little too objective for some of the social contradictions. Twisted Fi would be more likely to produce the narcissism. On the other hand, you say that this person is "insecure" and has "low self esteem," both of which are somewhat antithetical to narcissism. There is too great a diversity of negatives here for all of them to be true.

I called bs on the "not believing in morals" too because why would you be kind or giving, which is behavior showing concern for common good? As far as narcissism, I would think low self esteem and insecurity is the underlying cause or spark of later self obsession.

Well, understanding how they got that way is a completely different matter. You'd have to understand how they grew up, who influenced them, and from what angle they view the world. Cynicism is not hard to achieve in this world.

As for changing them...well, that would be a slow and difficult process, especially if these traits have been around for at least the 8 years you've been observing them. It's very possible they wouldn't be changed, because, as you indicated, they would have to want to change themselves. It would probably involve you having to get close to them and gain their trust in a very full and real sense, and then subtly influencing them to appreciate the things you appreciate, such as selflessness, and getting them to see the distaste in the negative traits they have. That would require a lot of patience, a LOT of patience, because you wouldn't be able to push them -- pushing causes the opposite party to push back, in most cases. You'd have to make them want to be a "better person," which means you'd have to let them respect and admire you, and keep up that image for however long it would take to at least initiate change, which could easily take years.

Or, at least, that's how I see it.

Thanks! I appreciate this info actually, I think it could be useful if not on them then others.