Cannot decide on a career and it's driving me nuts. Longish, sorry. Please help? | INFJ Forum

Cannot decide on a career and it's driving me nuts. Longish, sorry. Please help?

piglet167

Three
Jun 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
INFJ
I just had to ask this question as I am fed up with trying to desperately find the perfect career for me.

I know sometimes there isn't one fixed perfect career for everyone, but unfortunately I'm someone who really functions better when I have a goal to work towards, otherwise I just feel uninspired and unmotivated.

All evening I have been looking through careers, making a list of ones I might be interested in, then going over it again in more detail looking at the careers and deleting ones gradually. Now I have a small(ish) list.

Here's the list of the jobs I have come out with that I would like to do, but I want to find the one I would LOVE to do:
Aromatherapist, Hypnotherapist, Nutritional Therapist, Florist, Fashion Designer, Artist, Illustrator, Photographer, Photographic Stylist, Product designer, Image Consultant, Life coach, Wedding Planner, Advertising Art Director, Early Years Teacher, Advertising Copywriter, Copy editor, Editorial Assistant, Novelist.

The ones that came out as the highest and ones I would most like to do out of these were: Hypnotherapist, Life Coach, Advertising Copywriter, Copy Editor, Novelist.

I weighed up all the pros and cons and these were all the ones that came out the highest.

The problems I have are:
- I want to be self employed or be able to work from home.
- However, I would also like financial stability because I want a family, so this is difficult. That's why I have considered things like teacher and jobs where you're employed, but I would ideally want to work from home so I can be with my children.
- I am drawn to psychology and the brain and helping people draw out their deepest emotions and feelings to help them feel more positive about life and help them be the best they can be, BUT I'm also highly creative and the INFJ personality type, so I would work best in creative careers.
- BUT the problem with creative careers is how competitive they are, and are unstable financially.
- I have lots of photography experience, but can't move forward with that as I can't fund professional equipment, so that's another problem.
- I'm starting an English Literature degree with the Open University in October to enhance future prospects and because it's a life ambition of mine because I love literature, and my ultimate life ambition is to be a successful novelist, but realistically I want to have a family soon and writing is unreliable in terms of income and it's so hard to get published, so I can't just rely on that. That's why I would like a day job as it were, to keep me financially stable. But I would still like a day job I enjoy.
- And finally, if I do decide to become a psychologist/some kind of therapist as mentioned, I would need a degree in Psychology, and probably a Phd, which means many years of studying before becoming financially stable and I may not be able to do this if I do an English Literature degree.

I. am. so. confused!!

So yeah, can you see why I'm frustrated!? Haha. I don't know what to do and it's grating away at my brain. I'm sick of always chopping and changing what I want to do. I can be very motivated and determined when I have a goal, but.. I need a goal!

Any advice anyone?

How old are you?

The market is oversaturated with liberal arts degrees. What you do for money doesn't necessarily have to correspond to what you ultimately want out of life. If you want to help people with psychology or express yourself, for example, you can get a job or do a business doing so (hard). Or you can get a job in some other field that keeps your interest, and then do what you really want on the side (i.e. volunteer), with a possible transition where the opportunity arises.

One more thing -- a degree doesn't guarantee anything (like it used to imply, anyway). Balance the value of a degree from Open University with the cost, such as the debt/$ and time consumed in getting it. And if you want it to be presentable to an interviewer, think about their reaction and perception of your degree's value and prestige.

Last edited:
I know how you feel. It's common for people to be undecided on a career path. I changed my major many times before I finally settled on the right one. :) My best advice is to do something that you love. You're on the right path. After trying out a couple, learning more about them, and some frustration, you'll know when it's right. =] I don't know much about the other careers, but if you are interested in psychology and don't want to study for that long, you could consider getting a master's degree (2 years extra) after getting a bachelor's. There are many areas, one of which comes to mind is a licensed professional counselor (LPC). They make very good money, and are able to do what they love-- help people. There are even some people who can get straight into the Ph.D. program without going through master's (more difficult, but possible). So feel free to explore, and don't worry, just remember that the majority of professionals have changed their major one time or the other. :3

To me, it sounds like you need to really figure out what you value and pursuing that because it is highly unlikely that you can do everything you're planning.

If you wanted to help people, you don't have to get a Ph.D. You could become a social worker and specialize in therapy. Ph.D.s are designed to produce academics, and most successful women in academia have 0 or maybe 1 children (I'm just trying to be sexist- I think it is terrible, but I'm just stating the facts). Also, if you go into academia, your family life will be at best delayed for many years... like a decade. Ph.D.s are hard and take 5-7 years to come by, not to mention postgraduate work and what not.

As for creative pursuits- yeah, those aren't good for family until you get really good at them, and that takes a lot of time and effort. If you want to be a novelist, you need to write a million words..... I have more to say, but I have to go, so I'll try to come back later.

I found that pursuing my creativity (music) as a career made me resent it a little... I find that doing mundane non draining tasks, that didn't have expectations on me(ie no deadlines, didn't have to care for ppl) for money was better for me so I could use the money to do the things that I love and made me happy...

I concluded during my searching phase that
1. What's the point of having lots of time when you can't do the things you love due to financial reasons
2. I know I love doing something when I would do it for free or I would sacrifice sleep to do it
3. Money puts extra pressure to perform (pressure to be perfect-someone is paying for this you want them to feel like it was worth their while. Thinking about long term if i impress them they will come back for more...........when you would do it perfectly anyway but without stress if there was no one counting on you to do it, also you're not solely relying on this for finance not as worried about dissapointing because youre not expecting them to pay....and if you get rewarded with money for doing it all the better.)

And if you're wanting to start a family chances are you don't want to have to worry about the reliability of your pay check but rather the welfare of your children. I believe if you have to worry about both you'll drain yourself and be very stressed!!
Sometimes you do what you have to do... For the benefit of others... Your INFJ counseling skills are useless if you're shutting down.

Copy editing looks like the most stable income to me, but I have no idea what the market is like for full-time jobs. On the other hand, it looks like the least likely job to cater to someone who wants to flex their creative muscle.

How about horticultural therapy or wilderness therapy? Or how about in-school counseling (I think it requires a master's degree)?

Do psychology. Even if it's not the field for you, you will
1) understand yourself better, leading to a more accurate vision of what you actually want to do, and
2) learn a lot of mental tips and tricks that will help you to learn better and be more successful in your chosen path.

:)

Do psychology. Even if it's not the field for you, you will
1) understand yourself better, leading to a more accurate vision of what you actually want to do, and
2) learn a lot of mental tips and tricks that will help you to learn better and be more successful in your chosen path.
And you could specialize in career counseling. Wouldn't that be a kicker?

Ok.

Do the Eng lit degree. It's meaningless, it will get you nowhere in career terms, no employer looks for it really, but if you're interested in it do it. Don't worry about qualifications right now.

Ok, I'm an editorial writer and I work from home, part self-employed and part PAYE.

I'm about to go back into the office and work full-time PAYE but still as an Editorial writer.

In my experience:
- Editorial writing: Lots of work, huge pressure, can be boring, but keeps your mind engaged. If you are interviewing people like a journalist you will need to be able to push and shove people about a bit. I tried it and didn't like it. You have to be ok with pestering people.

- Working from home: Great for some but you will be isolated (I rarely get lonely but I am starting to miss the outside world!) and you must be able to motivate yourself. I have always been highly motivated, but when I get bored my mind wanders. I don't do enough work so I lose money. Hence going back into the office where I have no choice but to work!

- Copy writing/advertising - competition and a lot of sales types. Expect to be around a lot of hard nosed people who are trying to get ahead. It has a creative side but it also has a very strong business side. You will have to be strong willed, not easily upset and able to stand up to bullies.

- Counselling - My mam is studying towards this. To be an every day counsellor (rather than a pscyhotherapist) you will need to do a diploma in counselling. This is achievable but you'll have to set aside a couple of years. You will be able to do it from home and be self-employed and you will be helping people. This fits what you want to do. But this means having a lot of strangers around your kids and I'm a little worried about my mam inviting unstable people into her home. I've nothing against mental health issues - I have them myself - but if you're treating someone with obsessions.....I'm probably worrying too much, it's up to you!

- Hypnotherapist, Nutritional Therapist - you need qualifications. It may take a while to get them and there might not be much work.

- Fashion Designer. Difficult business. Probably not going to happen unless you've always wanted to be one!

- Life Coach - possible, but you'll need to be entrepreneurial to get your work.

- Early years teacher - Need PGCE (not as easy to get into as you might think!) and then tons of work - most teachers do not work 9-5. They work 8-6 and take it home. It's A LOT of work.

- Artist/novelist - you can do this in your free time. If you want to be a writer, your only choice is to do it in your free time and stick to it. I write scripts and am involved with a national broadcaster but that does not mean that I have been paid for anything or that I get any work. My friends have published an anthology but they are not making money. Do it for love but don't expect money.

Hope any of this helps!

One thing to keep in mind is that most novelists never make enough to rely on completely by itself... many are successful and still have to have some other source of income as well.

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I hope you all read this! I would like to say thanks so much for everyone who has replied to this, I wasn't expecting such a helpful response! But anyway.

I have read through all your comments and had a big think about everything and realized that a suitable career path has been staring me in the face, just unfortunately my creative interests were fogging it slightly. It's one many of you have mentioned - psychology.

I'm still young (19) so a few years of studying don't matter, and to be honest after a lot of deep thinking I don't care how long it takes to become a psychologist/therapist/counsellor because I know I would enjoy it and hopefully be good at it. I think I knew it would be the right career for me, but was just scared of leaving my creative interests behind. But really, if I have a stable career I enjoy, I can still pursue my creative interests no matter what. I wanted to do the English Lit degree mainly for personal interest, and because it's something I've always wanted to do. I originally considered psychology, but decided against it at the last minute because I didn't know what I wanted to do and thought well, I'm creative so should probably pursue something creative, but I want to help people more than anything else really, so creative pursuits wouldn't help in that way.

I'm going to be phoning the Open Uni up soon to try and change courses to pursue a psychology degree. I don't care how many years of studying I have to do, but it opens lots of doors and for some reason something has just clicked. It just feels right. There's nothing stopping me pursuing English Lit later on in life, and I will be able to do that if I am financially stable and fulfilled in my career. In fact, in the future I will still be able to pursue creative pursuits.

Psychology also has the potential for part time work if I want a family in the future, and can also offer private therapy which I would enjoy.

To be honest I don't even care about the money, it just feels right and feel very motivated and determined now. It is also something quite close to my heart as my Mum suffers from mental illness and the thought of being able to help people like her fills me with a lot of joy. I'm also always asking "Why?" to everything and always asking why people do things and I feel a natural urge to help people, so I feel it would be good for me.

So yes, thank you all of you for your responses, it has helped me greatly and I can see a lot clearer now. It just feels right and I have always wanted something to click and for me to think "That's what I want to do" and it has. So thanks.

Chloe xxx

Reactions: Resonance
I can comment about the Fashion and Advertising fields. As an INFJ, expect it to be excruciatingly draining on you - always being around people, always being superficial, always having to be outgoing, etc.

Honestly, I've always been the "do what you love..." type. No sense in having money if you have no use for and time to spend it!

If you're studying literature, then one of the easiest career transitions is teaching. It's a great interim profession because it's usually easier to get a job teaching with Lit or English degree. You can then earn an income, and then pursue those other interests or careers on the side. This may give you time to start a business and develop a career. Also, teaching allows you learn more about what's out there in terms of people, experiences, the world, etc. This knowledge can enhance your creativity and provide you with unlimited ideas for projects which you can use to develop your artistic side.

Hi everyone,

I hope you all read this! I would like to say thanks so much for everyone who has replied to this, I wasn't expecting such a helpful response! But anyway.

I have read through all your comments and had a big think about everything and realized that a suitable career path has been staring me in the face, just unfortunately my creative interests were fogging it slightly. It's one many of you have mentioned - psychology.

I'm still young (19) so a few years of studying don't matter, and to be honest after a lot of deep thinking I don't care how long it takes to become a psychologist/therapist/counsellor because I know I would enjoy it and hopefully be good at it. I think I knew it would be the right career for me, but was just scared of leaving my creative interests behind. But really, if I have a stable career I enjoy, I can still pursue my creative interests no matter what. I wanted to do the English Lit degree mainly for personal interest, and because it's something I've always wanted to do. I originally considered psychology, but decided against it at the last minute because I didn't know what I wanted to do and thought well, I'm creative so should probably pursue something creative, but I want to help people more than anything else really, so creative pursuits wouldn't help in that way.

I'm going to be phoning the Open Uni up soon to try and change courses to pursue a psychology degree. I don't care how many years of studying I have to do, but it opens lots of doors and for some reason something has just clicked. It just feels right. There's nothing stopping me pursuing English Lit later on in life, and I will be able to do that if I am financially stable and fulfilled in my career. In fact, in the future I will still be able to pursue creative pursuits.

Psychology also has the potential for part time work if I want a family in the future, and can also offer private therapy which I would enjoy.

To be honest I don't even care about the money, it just feels right and feel very motivated and determined now. It is also something quite close to my heart as my Mum suffers from mental illness and the thought of being able to help people like her fills me with a lot of joy. I'm also always asking "Why?" to everything and always asking why people do things and I feel a natural urge to help people, so I feel it would be good for me.

So yes, thank you all of you for your responses, it has helped me greatly and I can see a lot clearer now. It just feels right and I have always wanted something to click and for me to think "That's what I want to do" and it has. So thanks.

Chloe xxx

Glad to hear you made a decision. =] That's truly when you know something is right for you, when the years fly by because you are having so much fun studying it. :3 The one piece of advice I have to give you, which you seem to have come up with on your own, is to finish beyond a bachelor's (masters or higher) because that's where you will get the hands on for actual counseling (you need the professional requirement in order to do so). If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. :3

...I'm still young (19) so a few years of studying don't matter, ...

Do you take on debt for it? Or is it free? Even if you don't pay, you're still spending time on it. Time is one thing we can only have less of in our lives. You never get it back.

...I'm going to be phoning the Open Uni up soon to try and change courses to pursue a psychology degree. I don't care how many years of studying I have to do, but it opens lots of doors and for some reason something has just clicked. It just feels right. There's nothing stopping me pursuing English Lit later on in life, and I will be able to do that if I am financially stable and fulfilled in my career. In fact, in the future I will still be able to pursue creative pursuits. ...

I dunno how it is in the UK, nor am I familiar with how OU is perceived there. In the States, generally speaking, online/distance degrees are much, much less prestigious than a degree from an established, brick and mortar university. Add to the fact that psychology is a very, very saturated field in which if you're not focused on your career, you'll become nothing more than one of dozens of girls I know with psychology degrees and doing secretarial work instead.

So if your decision-making is based upon "It just feels right" and a bald assertion that "it opens lots of doors and for some reason something has just clicked" - perhaps take some time to really rationally think about your situation. Do some research on employment statistics, etc. Then you'll have a better picture. Because reality and the world follow their own rules, not the rule of "it just feels right".

Add to the fact that psychology is a very, very saturated field in which if you're not focused on your career, you'll become nothing more than one of dozens of girls I know with psychology degrees and doing secretarial work instead.

So if your decision-making is based upon "It just feels right" and a bald assertion that "it opens lots of doors and for some reason something has just clicked" - perhaps take some time to really rationally think about your situation. Do some research on employment statistics, etc. Then you'll have a better picture. Because reality and the world follow their own rules, not the rule of "it just feels right".

That is true of a Bachelor's degree, and a good thing to look out for. But Master's and Ph. D's, and the certifications that come with it, are very much in demand. The key is balance--finding a job you love, but also making sure it will guarantee employment. In this case, both seem to be covered, and that's good. :)

What is an OpenUni is (sorry, I didn't realize you were from UK)?

If you're studying literature, then one of the easiest career transitions is teaching. It's a great interim profession because it's usually easier to get a job teaching with Lit or English degree. You can then earn an income, and then pursue those other interests or careers on the side. This may give you time to start a business and develop a career. Also, teaching allows you learn more about what's out there in terms of people, experiences, the world, etc. This knowledge can enhance your creativity and provide you with unlimited ideas for projects which you can use to develop your artistic side.
In the same vein, you could teach psychology. Many high schools offer psychology courses...