Campbell's Law

Kavalan

Has risen
Sep 16, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
1W9
The more any quantitative social indicator is used for social decision-making, the more subject it will be to corruption pressures and the more apt it will be to distort and corrupt the social processes it is intended to monitor

So who is a product of this law or helping prove it right?

Wiki

Last edited:
My kids are still too young for testing like that. But I have two friends who's kids had to take LEAP tests in the 3rd grade last year. All the teachers did was push the kids to teach them what was on the test, not what was part of the curriculum. The school board, principles, and teachers alike we focused on one thing and one thing only, making those kids pass so they could look like they did a great job. Both my friends' kids struggle now, it seems they misssed out on some skills they should have learned while taking a million practice leap tests. This stressed the kids out, the parents out, and the teachers. Of course if the child failed they are held back a year. But these tests are suppose to be indicators of where the kids are, the teachers shouldn't be wasting valuable class time trying make sure the kids pass. Its a test for a reason, to assess the child's capablities.

As a matter of fact, last year during testing, a principle at a local elementary school was walking around monitoring the kids testing. She whispered to a student "You might want to recheck that answer". She was immediately fired.

Well I mean look at the SAT, GRE, DAT(Dental school), MCAT, LSAT... they have all been made into an industry to make you take their tests and buy the study help programs(myself included)

It's a vicious system that we determine our lives on

I agree. Too bad it didn't test potential, or merit, or accountability. I might pass the ACT's then (Algebra). :m066:

Graduate Review Examination(GRE) Doesn't even test above simple algebra...

I am a testement to this on two fronts. I got a 5 on my AP chemistry test and did very well. My teacher didn't teach the class to the test, she simply told us what was on it and what to know, then gave us the resources needed for it. We knew what to do and she gave us direction. In that high stakes environment I did well because it is focused.

I got a 980 on my SAT; I bombed it because I do not do well with general testing like that; it kills me.

Graduate Review Examination(GRE) Doesn't even test above simple algebra...

Really? HAPPY DAY!

I guess they assume since you've made it that far they look for other aptitudes, idk.

Are you going into graduate school?

I am a testement to this on two fronts. I got a 5 on my AP chemistry test and did very well. My teacher didn't teach the class to the test, she simply told us what was on it and what to know, then gave us the resources needed for it. We knew what to do and she gave us direction. In that high stakes environment I did well because it is focused.

I got a 980 on my SAT; I bombed it because I do not do well with general testing like that; it kills me.

Really? HAPPY DAY!

yea instead it's got the dreaded none of the above/not enough info as an answer... it can be a total crapshoot because of it

I plan to yes.

Awesome, you got the smarts for it, you'll make it.

Feel free to fly down south anytime and teach me Algebra, lol.

I could rant for days on end about standardized testing, and how it creates a false sense of importance for what everyone "needs" to learn, but I'll simply say that I agree with the above.

The tests could be useful if education wasn't funded by benchmarks and improvements in standardized testing. It's a false sense of an education, and what really irks me is that teachers get paid based off of the test results and they've had the kids in their classroom for maybe a month. A shitty teacher could keep getting bonuses because someone at a lower grade-level is a wonderful teacher.

I could rant for days on end about standardized testing, and how it creates a false sense of importance for what everyone "needs" to learn, but I'll simply say that I agree with the above.

The tests could be useful if education wasn't funded by benchmarks and improvements in standardized testing. It's a false sense of an education, and what really irks me is that teachers get paid based off of the test results and they've had the kids in their classroom for maybe a month. A shitty teacher could keep getting bonuses because someone at a lower grade-level is a wonderful teacher.

But not all are based for someone's pay and some of the standardized tests used after k-12 have the same follies and some people who are brilliant in nontraditional sense are hit hard on these... Like how I've been slowly studying away for my GRE which plays such a large role going towards grad school yet the general which is required by all my schools has absolutely nothing on it pertaining to chemistry. There's a Chemistry subject GRE but only one requires it and the other two use it for other metrics if given but it is not required.

But not all are based for someone's pay and some of the standardized tests used after k-12 have the same follies and some people who are brilliant in nontraditional sense are hit hard on these... Like how I've been slowly studying away for my GRE which plays such a large role going towards grad school yet the general which is required by all my schools has absolutely nothing on it pertaining to chemistry. There's a Chemistry subject GRE but only one requires it and the other two use it for other metrics if given but it is not required.

From what I have gathered though, it seems like most people who run admissions for chemistry grad school use the GRE as a litmus; it's a factor, but not really a major factor. Seems like they are just looking to make sure the scores aren't bad, not so much how amazing they are.

"Always heat the pan before adding the soup+water."