Calling Twilight followers | INFJ Forum

Calling Twilight followers

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
This article touches upon Twilight in an interesting way, and I am curious what those of you who have read the books and/or watched the movies think, whether it corroborates your interpretation of the story or do you think it is an exaggeration or over the line? I haven't read/watched it, btw. Just wondering.

Abusive is the New Sexy
by Emily Clarke

When it comes to dating boys, I have always been attracted to the sarcastic nerd type. They

Hmm. I don't know. I'll admit I enjoy the movies as a guilty pleasure and I read the books for the same reason. When I read/saw them, the abusive aspects didn't jump out at me. On another thread, folks mentioned that they thought the backlash was too strong. The way Clarke describes it, I have to admit I see the problem. I certainly don't think that Edward's behavior represents the ideal relationship. But on the other hand, I doubt that's what girls are fantasizing about. More likely they like the idea of him, strong, protective, attentive, rich, unusual, attractive etc.

Fantasizing goes hand in hand with exaggeration, and where would the story be without some intense drama? The same goes for this lady's article, its got a little bit of 'oomph' in it in order to catch our attention. I think she resolves the conflict in a polite and well-thought manner though.

No, I have neither read or seen the story, but I think I understand how narrative needs to be structured to be effective.

The abusive traits of Edward did jump out at me, not so much Jacob. BTW those books were terrible! Breaking dawn was the worst book ever written. lol @ the girls that read those for "the lulz" though, I hadn't heard of that...thank god for those girls. I don't get the twilight mom thing either.

I read about half of the first book but couldn't be bothered to finish it. I found it too boring for words and that Bella outright annoyed me. I prefer the Southern Vampire series (the series True Blood is based on) and Sookie's strong female lead as opposed to the clingy, obsessive character of Bella. Sookie wouldn't put up with Edward's crap for one minute...but I don't think he would survive long around the likes of Bill or Eric anyway.

Crap like Twilight is just gives yet another generation of girls a false set of ideals about how relationships "should" work. I would prefer my daughter read the Sookie books over Twilight any day, when she's old enough. At least the relationships depicted are more realistic (sans the whole vampire/werewolf/shifter thing) and the character is more concerned with finding herself and where she belongs in the world as opposed to Bella, who's only concern is finding and keeping a boyfriend.