NeverAmI

Satisclassifaction
Retired Staff
Sep 22, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I was thinking about the threads that see the most traffic on here. General expression is by far the most popular. I would say our second most popular is games.

Expression:
Expression is fairly simple to analyze. For a successfully recurring thread, find a topic that is universally relevant and also subject to change, then make a thread about it.

Games:

There seem to be two major aspects to the games I have analyzed so far:
  • Categories - What do do with interactions and responses, interesting categories are imperative.
    • Suggestions - Suggest what another member should do
    • Expressions - Express something about a member or yourself.
    • Actions - Take a metaphorical action on another member.
    • Logic - Interact with members through a set of pre-defined logic.
  • Interactions
    • Previous poster
    • Next poster
    • Random member
    • Determined by Logic
  • Reward - What's in it for 'me?'
    • Strengthening social relationships
    • Learning
    • Becoming more expressive (negative or positive)
    • Strengthening Imagination

Let's analyze a few!

I want to see a picture of:

One member posts a picture and then requests a topic for a new picture. The interaction is focused on the next poster, and there is also an interaction to the previous poster. This one could be categorized as expression. There are actually two forms of expression in this, the picture itself is an expression of interpretation and the request of a new picture is also an expression.

Kudos to April!

Word association thread:

This one has a simple elegance. The interaction is based on the previous poster. I am not sure if this should be classified as expressive or logical, I think the response can be either.

What else am I missing?

I was thinking about the threads that see the most traffic on here. General expression is by far the most popular. I would say our second most popular is games.

Expression:
Expression is fairly simple to analyze. For a successfully recurring thread, find a topic that is universally relevant and also subject to change, then make a thread about it.

Games:
I have been looking to categorize the games that are possible in a thread.

There seems to be two major aspects to the games I have analyzed so far:
  • Categories - What do do with interactions and responses, interesting categories are imperative.
    • Suggestions - Suggest what another member should do
    • Expressions - Express something about a member or yourself.
    • Actions - Take a metaphorical action on another member.
    • Logic - Interact with members through a set of pre-defined logic.
  • Interactions
    • Previous poster
    • Next poster
    • Random member
Let's analyze a few!

One member posts a picture and then requests a topic for a new picture. The interaction is focused on the next poster, and there is also an interaction to the previous poster. This one could be categorized as expression. There are actually two forms of expression in this, the picture itself is an expression of interpretation and the request of a new picture is also an expression.

Kudos to April!

Word association thread:

This one has a simple elegance. The interaction is based on the previous poster. I am not sure if this should be classified as expressive or logical, I think the response can be either.

What else am I missing?

I so love organization.

Another major aspect:

• Motivation - What's in it for 'me?'
    • Strengthening social relationships
    • Learning
    • Becoming more expressive (negative or positive)
    • Strengthening Imagination

ooh interesting breakdown. wouldn't practically everything qualify as an expression though (if by expression you mean unsubstantiated opinion, and considering the vast majority of threads on here are focused on human relations)? unless i'm misunderstanding your definition of expression (please elaborate, NAI!)

and i think the popularity of the 'member' focused threads is pretty self evident - people come here to understand themselves, and those threads offer more of the same. the word/picture/other game threads would be popular because they're pretty straightforward and don't require much time or effort (at least, that's why i like them, lol!) they're an easy distraction from whatever else you're supposed to be doing, while simultaneously allowing you to interact with other members =)

Reactions: NeverAmI
Members photos seems to be the most popular thread.

We're onto the third one because the other two reached their limit.

ooh interesting breakdown. wouldn't practically everything qualify as an expression though (if by expression you mean unsubstantiated opinion, and considering the vast majority of threads on here are focused on human relations)? unless i'm misunderstanding your definition of expression (please elaborate, NAI!)

and i think the popularity of the 'member' focused threads is pretty self evident - people come here to understand themselves, and those threads offer more of the same. the word/picture/other game threads would be popular because they're pretty straightforward and don't require much time or effort (at least, that's why i like them, lol!) they're an easy distraction from whatever else you're supposed to be doing, while simultaneously allowing you to interact with other members =)

[MENTION=1926]April[/MENTION], yea that is a good point. Perhaps I need a better replacement for that word. In the terms of this analysis, I think of expression as an unveiling of thoughts or feelings. It is probably a suitcase term I am using. Would expression of thought and expression of emotions be too generic still?

Reactions: TinyBubbles
Perhaps expression is better defined as revealing details about yourself.

I am going to start using this framework to see what kind of neat games can be made.

Yeah, which explains why the Members Photos thread is so popular. We all what to see what the others look like lol, to see if the mental image and physical details pertaining to them that we have formed in our minds is anywhere close to what they actually look like.

Kudos to April!

Wouldn't April's thread also be categorized as a Suggestion thread? What's another example of suggestion based game?