Blushing | INFJ Forum

Blushing

Dormouse31

Oct 20, 2015
MBTI
XNFJ
Does anyone else blush spontaneously when in awkward situations or when talking to certain people? I've spent my whole adult life trying to ignore/overcome it but it's reeeeally annoying & I can't control it.

I do it all the time. I have my whole life. I always get accused of grinning when I am not. But I do not blush during times people would normally blush. I can have extremely inappropriate conversations completely straight and blank faced, but say something that makes me think I could be happy, yeah blush right away.

Is this a real question? Everyone blushes when they get embarrassed.

Does anyone else blush spontaneously when in awkward situations or when talking to certain people? I've spent my whole adult life trying to ignore/overcome it but it's reeeeally annoying & I can't control it.

Yes, I do, though I've met people who had it worse then I did.

I went through a phase during university, when I would blush if I became the focus of attention - group leader in the laboratory, asked to assist the prof., etc.

I don't know how, or when it passed. But I cannot remember having blushed at all in many years now. So perhaps it can be overcome in your case. Don't ask me how. Perhaps it has something to do with self-confidence among one's peers?

Yes. Mostly it is no big deal, but once it starts in a situation where I would really like it to stop, it only gets worse. I am really pale, so it basically looks like a person turning beet red, face and neck. It seems to happen most when someone is focusing the conversation on me and I am expected to answer direct questions about myself. The questions need not even be very personal for a blushing fit to occur. It can be painfully embarrassing! My prime way of dealing with social anxiety about being me is to direct conversation to and on everyone else. Nothing takes the focus off your blushing face when another party is given the (usually prized) conversational spotlight. I just turn every question to the other party and act fascinated no matter how not fascinated I really am. Or to let my shadow "E" self come out and basically pretend to be someone I am not. Probably not healthy, but that is how I deal with social anxiety and the myriad of physically and emotionally distressing issues it causes.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I... :redface:

I am a total blusher. My cheeks go bright piggy pink, my ears, and especially my chest. I'm on the fair side so it really shows when I do and I simply cannot hide it, so I don't even pretend to anymore. I blush when I'm embarrassed, to be sure, but mostly when talking to certain someones, thinking certain thoughts, or just being taken off guard. It used to annoy me that my own body would physically betray me by giving away tell-tale signs of my emotions like that, but I embrace it now. The older I get, the less things make me blush; so when something puts me in a full blush, I rather enjoy the surge of blood-flow and warmth to my skin. :)

Reactions: Wolfskillian
For me it's if I meet someone I know in the supermarket, have to speak in meetings at work and anything that takes me by surprise socially. So I try & avoid surprises. I would hate a surprise part lol!
Free2be - your username expresses how comfortable you are in your own (pink!) skin. I hope to get there one day...

P.S. Why is bright piggy pink underlined in blue? Funny!

SO MUCH yes
i just go with it..what else is there to do but run for it? lol
...i point it out and make it worse and then try to joke about it. usually the person has pity and humors me a bit. my coworker gave me this penguin for sympathy and consolation.

the best of socially awkward penguin.jpg

Reactions: Stu
For me it's if I meet someone I know in the supermarket, have to speak in meetings at work and anything that takes me by surprise socially. So I try & avoid surprises. I would hate a surprise part lol!
Free2be - your username expresses how comfortable you are in your own (pink!) skin. I hope to get there one day...

P.S. Why is bright piggy pink underlined in blue? Funny!

Thank you for the compliment! It has taken years but yes, I am more comfortable in my piggy pink skin than I have ever been. Hopefully you'll get there too! And I think "bright piggy pink" was underlined in blue because there was a sneaky advertisement attached to it. Don't click it! :D

I don't/can't blush, I wish I could. I think it's cute. :)

[MENTION=11100]flower[/MENTION],
Seriously you never blush?! WOW! My first time was at school I was about 10 and we had a special assembly because someone had stolen something. I blushed the whole time (even though I wasn't the thief lol) and have never looked back. It seemed to coincide with puberty, maybe it's my hormones!! Maybe when I hit menopause it will suddenly stop. :m161:

[MENTION=11100]flower[/MENTION],
Seriously you never blush?! WOW! My first time was at school I was about 10 and we had a special assembly because someone had stolen something. I blushed the whole time (even though I wasn't the thief lol) and have never looked back. It seemed to coincide with puberty, maybe it's my hormones!! Maybe when I hit menopause it will suddenly stop. :m161:

Haha, nope. I don't blush really. :D LOL, that's funny but I ''understand'' that it might feel embarrassing if blushing much, no experience about it by myself though.. :/

It's great so see a thread on this subject. I've been thinking of creating one for a long time but thought people might think I'm strange or something.

On the extreme, I blush when I'm alone and find myself thinking about something uncomfortable!

I'm a male so it's hard not to think of this as a weakness. Just this week I was trying to see how it could be considered a strength.

I've talked about this with someone and I've learned that if I talk about it as its happening its takes some of the pressure off. For example, while I'm getting my teeth
worked on in the dentist chair I think I turn about 5 shades of red - I actually say this to the dentist and things go better for me.

Last edited:
I'm a male so it's hard not to think of this as a weakness. Just this week I was trying to see how it could be considered a strength.

Yea, same for me, I feel ashamed of it when I blush, I feel like it makes me a lesser person and girls probably don't see it as a positive/cute thing when guys blush either.

I have no idea on how to consider blushing as a strenght though...

A man who blushes is absolutely adorable...

And it makes me want to try to make him blush again and again.

Yea, same for me, I feel ashamed of it when I blush, I feel like it makes me a lesser person and girls probably don't see it as a positive/cute thing when guys blush either.

I have no idea on how to consider blushing as a strenght though...

Do you think it makes girls weaker or a lesser person when they do it?

A man who blushes is absolutely adorable...

And it makes me want to try to make him blush again and again.

Free knows. :wink: