Bipolar or just very INFJ | INFJ Forum

Duffy

Aug 17, 2017
MBTI
INFJ
I've researched quite a bit, on this website, and on Quora and Reddit and there are very little answers available. But I have seen people pose the question of whether there is a link between bipolar 2 and being an INFJ. And I'm wondering the exact same. I understand that bipolar 2 is an actual mental disorder, but I also find so many traits that INFJ's experience that tend to be symptoms of bipolar disorder. Things like INFJ anxiety and depression and how often this can manifest into unhealthy eating disorders, or anything else of similar sort. And from reading on multiple sites - of how INFJ's can also experience insomnia, and racing thoughts which can be linked to a bipolar person't hypomaniac episode maybe ? Themes of saving the world, and feeling perfectionistic. There are so many examples. Like, I myself have witnessed periods of inability to concentrate, and kind of "living in my imagination" as an INFJ could say, sometimes happens. They have lots of similarities, it appears. I know I'm oversimplifying these, but they are there.

I've always felt, from researching online, that I was bipolar. And I only did an MBTI test this year, that I got INFJ which related to me so perfectly, and I thought maybe there was really nothing wrong with me at all. It was just my "personality" you know? But the thing is, every depressive episode I've had can always be traced back to an episode of hypomania kind of before or after it. And I know self-diagnosis is not the way to go, even if I am sure of my symptoms, but I'm just afraid that if I do go to a psychiatrist and he/she does say I am bipolar.

Is it because I'm actually bipolar, or am I just misdiagnosed and am just an INFJ, and these are just normal INFJ motions? I was thinking that the way you could differentiate, and I want to ask if with INFJ treatment (meditation, self-reflection, improved habit, knowledge of triggers) if life gets better? Or if INFJ symptoms, like INFJ depression is always going to be there. Because, if it is like that, bipolar as well needs intervention and treatment to make a difference and for things to get better. And it can be even more tricky to tell these two apart. Any thoughts : )

The earth is bipolar.

Reactions: dragulagu and James
And I know self-diagnosis is not the way to go, even if I am sure of my symptoms, but I'm just afraid that if I do go to a psychiatrist and he/she does say I am bipolar.

If it's really bothering you, see a professional. But just reading things on the internet, is never going to work out, for such a complex issue.

Try not to be anxious, even if you were bi polar, getting support would help. Try not to fixate on it. Take care.

Reactions: Duffy
I've researched quite a bit, on this website, and on Quora and Reddit and there are very little answers available. But I have seen people pose the question of whether there is a link between bipolar 2 and being an INFJ. And I'm wondering the exact same. I understand that bipolar 2 is an actual mental disorder, but I also find so many traits that INFJ's experience that tend to be symptoms of bipolar disorder. Things like INFJ anxiety and depression and how often this can manifest into unhealthy eating disorders, or anything else of similar sort. And from reading on multiple sites - of how INFJ's can also experience insomnia, and racing thoughts which can be linked to a bipolar person't hypomaniac episode maybe ? Themes of saving the world, and feeling perfectionistic. There are so many examples. Like, I myself have witnessed periods of inability to concentrate, and kind of "living in my imagination" as an INFJ could say, sometimes happens. They have lots of similarities, it appears. I know I'm oversimplifying these, but they are there.

I've always felt, from researching online, that I was bipolar. And I only did an MBTI test this year, that I got INFJ which related to me so perfectly, and I thought maybe there was really nothing wrong with me at all. It was just my "personality" you know? But the thing is, every depressive episode I've had can always be traced back to an episode of hypomania kind of before or after it. And I know self-diagnosis is not the way to go, even if I am sure of my symptoms, but I'm just afraid that if I do go to a psychiatrist and he/she does say I am bipolar.

Is it because I'm actually bipolar, or am I just misdiagnosed and am just an INFJ, and these are just normal INFJ motions? I was thinking that the way you could differentiate, and I want to ask if with INFJ treatment (meditation, self-reflection, improved habit, knowledge of triggers) if life gets better? Or if INFJ symptoms, like INFJ depression is always going to be there. Because, if it is like that, bipolar as well needs intervention and treatment to make a difference and for things to get better. And it can be even more tricky to tell these two apart. Any thoughts :

Is it because I'm actually bipolar, or am I just misdiagnosed and am just an INFJ, and these are just normal INFJ motions? I was thinking that the way you could differentiate, and I want to ask if with INFJ treatment (meditation, self-reflection, improved habit, knowledge of triggers) if life gets better? Or if INFJ symptoms, like INFJ depression is always going to be there. Because, if it is like that, bipolar as well needs intervention and treatment to make a difference and for things to get better. And it can be even more tricky to tell these two apart. Any thoughts : )

Every single word you wrote was exactly what I was thinking about when I Googled the same topic and came right to this page ] VERY COOL! Thank you for posting that... exactly my thoughts.

You know.

You're onto something.

Not necessarily that if you're INFJ you're bipolar but, there is a study I read talking about correlation between certain personality types being more prone to developing complex PTSD than others because of their cognitive stack:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0i7FhZpfz9gdT-NyB2zbKc&cshid=1563593825906

That's not the study I was talking about but I can't find the one I read once.

The point is, you're making a valid correlation. Just think about it logically: would certain people with common traits be likely to deal with trauma in the same ways because of the way they think and behave? And the answer is yes.

Does being an INFJ cause bipolar?

No.

Is it likely that genetic factors that influence a person to have bipolar traits are the same which give the person an INFJ typing? Yes. If you're wondering if it would be possible to mistype because of this, the answer is yes. My sister who is an ENFP has bipolar 2 and during her depressive stages she would test as INFJ. You got to think of it more like mental illness might cause you to type wrong because you're in your shadow functions, so it's best to test in a healthy mental state.

Bipolar disorder is often misunderstood.

Perhaps it's more likely for an INFJ to be cyclothymic because of Ni-Ti loop. But I don't think that the depressive/manic episodes have anything to do with MBTI type. That's probably why there's little information pertaining to a correlation.

It's chemical. It's physiological. It's cultural. It's natural (nature/upbringing/experience). There's all kinds of factors, but associating the disorder with being INFJ is unreasonable in my opinion.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm just projecting or talking from personal experience but I used to think I was Bi-Polar until I realized the triggers and what made me feel the way I did. I know where most of my feelings stem from nowadays and I can change moods rather quickly because of it. Does being self-aware make such a disorder null? Being un-capable of controlling ones moods can just be simple sub-concious passion not wanting to be ignored. Not necessarily un-controllable.

And it begs the question yet again, is an INFJ being misunderstood? even to themselves?

Last edited:
INFJ vs Bipolar is a wholly incorrect comparison