Battle Between Personalities | INFJ Forum

Battle Between Personalities

Jan 3, 2010
MBTI
INFP(?)
I'm not sure how to explain this, but here goes. Basically, I feel like I have two sides to my personality. One side is really deep, sensitive, and reflective, and tends to dwell in melancholy; the other is this sort of goofy, silly, lackadaisical, almost frivolous, side. It almost feels like there's a battle between the two going on. For example, I might go for a period feeling really goofy, witty, clever, whimsical, and so on, but later on, I would feel stupid, ashamed, or unfaithful to what I perceive to be my core self for not being more serious and reflective. Or, on the other hand, I might feel really melancholic for a long period, but after a while, I might find appeal in acting the other way. At times, the two battle each other, like when I'm trying to get into a reflective mood yet have an urge to act silly. I don't know if I'm making sense, but I feel like this quote by Jim Morrison pretty much sums up most of what I'm trying to say: "I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments."

Can anyone relate to this? And do you think it's type-related? If so, what specific cognitive functions and MBTI types would this embody?

I understand.

I relate to this strongly. In fact I've got about five journal books written mostly on this topic and this type of battle within myself.

Not understanding that those two sides are equal and that they should both exist within you might get you seriously side tracked and make you lose a valuable side of yourself for a long time. In my case it is a never-ending battle between a stuck-up person and mischievous side of me. I wrote about some of it in my blog.

I don't think that it is too type related, maybe more of an introverted personality trait than extroverted but I've seen similar battles even among very extroverted persons.

My opinion is that all of us have that duality within selves but some of us are more aware of it, and not finding a way to reconcile those sides can be a recipe for a disaster.

damn i was hoping for a battle royale between temperaments

Sorry Shai, the INFJ's apparently need to finish fighting themselves before that can happen. If we had more ENTJ's here, it'd be possible.

Can anyone relate to this? And do you think it's type-related? If so, what specific cognitive functions and MBTI types would this embody?

I can relate to this except I can say like I've felt like they were fighting each other. I feel like those are two mental states that I may succumb to, but I don't see either of them as my personality. When either one takes me over for too long, I feel guilty when I get out of it, especially if it was the goofy side as I am prone to messing with people during it without feeling bad for messing with them at all. At least, I don't feel bad until afterward, at which point I feel horrible.

Look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclothymia

IMO the first side is your Fi, the second is your Ne. Like others have said though, it seems most everybody has that kind of duality to them, it just expresses itself slightly differently in different types.

Last edited:
yeah. Been researching (wikipedia; means still basic informations) and putting parts assigning parts about it just now, so it feels somewhat fresh.

In my case, I put them both in a mental room and forces them to...do something. Last night it was battle sparring in a RPG-like simulation. >_>;

Anyway, I think it's not necessarily bad or ugly...... to have it. It's the other side of the coin; in my own case I do suspect it's my Shadow, but.... What are your own opinions about both personalities? Do you like one, and dislike the other?

My own advice is not fighting but controlling, for fighting those for me is fighting our own self and missing a lot of potentials.