Baby the stars shine bright... | Page 10 | INFJ Forum

Baby the stars shine bright...

Talking about planets - I took this photo of Venus with my SLR camera and a 500mm lens earlier this evening. It's not brilliant - needs more sharpness and less flare, but it's just about possible to see its disc, which is showing a crescent or gibbous phase by the look of things.

View attachment 65153

Super cool!

I managed to get a slightly better picture of Venus yesterday evening. I took the camera outside into the garden and set a low ISO sensitivity rating. There isn't enough magnification really for photographing planets with camera lenses so this is enlarged enormously on computer. Venus is obviously in 'half moon' phase here. I'm curious that the disc is showing as slightly oval, but that's probably caused by flare in the lens.

2020 03 26 Venus (1 of 1).jpg

There was a brand new moon last night. I didn't see it till I'd put the tripod away so I hand held with an ISO of 800 - took about 10 shots in the hope of getting a good one, and this turned out OK. There was good earthlight showing in the night side of the moon, but I can't pick that up and get the dayside exposed correctly in a single image. If it stays clear this evening I'll try again and see if I can combine a couple of shots to bring it out. The crescent won't be so slim as yesterday though.

2020 03 26 Crescent Moon.jpg

I managed to get a slightly better picture of Venus yesterday evening. I took the camera outside into the garden and set a low ISO sensitivity rating. There isn't enough magnification really for photographing planets with camera lenses so this is enlarged enormously on computer. Venus is obviously in 'half moon' phase here. I'm curious that the disc is showing as slightly oval, but that's probably caused by flare in the lens.

View attachment 65219

There was a brand new moon last night. I didn't see it till I'd put the tripod away so I hand held with an ISO of 800 - took about 10 shots in the hope of getting a good one, and this turned out OK. There was good earthlight showing in the night side of the moon, but I can't pick that up and get the dayside exposed correctly in a single image. If it stays clear this evening I'll try again and see if I can combine a couple of shots to bring it out. The crescent won't be so slim as yesterday though.

View attachment 65221

These are gorgeous John! Love them! :)

This narrative is from the above You Tube posting.

Comet Atlas is currently crossing Mars’ orbit and is approaching the inner solar system. No one knows yet how big the core of Comet ATLAS (C/2019 Y4) might be. Possibly, it's no wider than a few kilometers. One thing's for sure, the comet's atmosphere is huge. New images from amateur astronomers around the world show that ATLAS's gaseous envelope has ballooned in diameter to ~720,000 km--about half as wide as the sun. Astronomers report that comet ATLAS's coma (atmosphere) is approximately 15 arcminutes in diameter. 15 arcminutes equals a quarter of a degree. Given Comet ATLAS's distance of 1.1 AU on March 18th, that angle corresponds to a physical size of 720,000 km. On the scale of big things in the solar system, Comet ATLAS falls somewhere between the sun (1,392,000 km diameter) and Jupiter (139,820 km). It's not unusual for comets to grow this large. While their icy solid cores are typically mere kilometers in diameter, they can spew prodigious amounts of gas and dust into space, filling enormous volumes with their gossamer exhaust. In the fall of 2007, Comet 17P/Holmes partially exploded and, for a while, had an atmosphere even larger than the sun. The Great Comet of 1811 also had a sun-sized coma. Whether Comet ATLAS will eventually rival those behemoths of the past remains to be seen. Right now, Comet ATLAS is certainly the biggest green thing in the Solar System. Its verdant hue comes from diatomic carbon, C2, a common molecule in comets. Gaseous C2 emits a beautiful green glow in the near-vacuum of space. This green color could become visible to the naked eye in mid-April as Comet ATLAS moves closer to Earth and the sun. The celestial visitor will come closest to Earth on May 23, 2020, at a distance of 72.6 million miles away (116.8 million km). Calculations by NASA/JPL indicate Comet ATLAS takes some 6,025 years to complete an orbit around the sun. Observations show it has a similar orbit to the Great Comet of 1844, which suggest Comet Atlas may be a fragment of the same 1844 comet. At the time, the comet requires a small or medium-sized telescope, but it may be visible in binoculars very soon! Facing north-northeast at around 9 p.m. local daylight time (8 p.m. if you’re not using daylight time) for all locations. https://spaceweather.com/ https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see...

Last edited:
Ok, I wanted to show it to someone for a quite long time now, so I guess this thread might be just the place for it...

008eded5-67ef-412a-bafb-4c119a532b27-362g7495_ckoch_bustle_reading-window3.png

This is a photo from ISS taken in 2019.

Ok, so why is it so great you ask?

This picture ladies and gentlemen is just literally and metaphorically *otherwordly*.
When I look at this picture I see the myriad of things behind, like, not only is it a breathtaking shot but in my eyes also does a magnificent job speaking about modern humanity.
Art? check. Science, technology, astronomy, literature? check and check again.
Resilience, unity, hard work, intellect, creativity and curiosity? Also, check.

aaaand the cherry on top? This astronaut is actually Christina Koch, not that it would mean that much,
other than that she bears the same surname as one of the most renown human beings in the history of medicine, Robert Koch (discovery of mycobacterium tuberculosis) which adds medicine into this already potent combo.

I like to visit this thread every so often and help to keep it alive. Because I love anything astronomical, and because James was a great guy I only knew for three months when I first joined the forum - he made me feel very welcome. He died within a few days of my father.

Sun Image-page-001 (1)-1.jpg

This is a composite image from the Solar and Heliospheric Laboratory spacecraft - It's also an amazing natural work of art in my eyes.

I like to visit this thread every so often and help to keep it alive. Because I love anything astronomical, and because James was a great guy I only knew for three months when I first joined the forum - he made me feel very welcome. He died within a few days of my father.

View attachment 66143

This is a composite image from the Solar and Heliospheric Laboratory spacecraft - It's also an amazing natural work of art in my eyes.

Damn that looks awesome.

And condolences...did not know about James. Let's keep this thread alive yeah.

View attachment 66143

Thank you, John, for filling in the blanks, that's very kind of you. James must have been a really great person, from what you have said about him. My condolences.

I hope we can help to keep the astronomy enthusiasm alive as well. :)

Did you get to see the 'supermoon' a couple of nights back? You've got to filter out the media hyperbole because it's only a bit bigger than normal, but it was lovely. I took a few shots with my camera, but I've probably alrrady posted enough of my earlier moon photos here or in my blog. I'd like to do some serious astrophotography but I haven't got the right kit for that - and our night sky is mostly drowned out by cloud, haze, house and street lights so it's not worth the investment.

Now we're talking!

Whoa, this is gorgeous actually. Thanks dragu, it improved my evening.

But it makes me feel like I am about to turn into a werewolf or something... :smile:

It reminded me of this beautiful photo of full moon
View attachment 66164
That's a great shot :sunglasses: - and not straightforward to do either.

James must have been a really great person,
There are one or two folks here in the forum who remind me a little of him. I don't know if you have had chance to get to know the regulars yet, but if you take a good shot of Aneirin, add a dash of Deleted member 16771 and season with a bit of Sandie33 then you wouldn't be far off ;).

There are one or two folks here in the forum who remind me a little of him. I don't know if you have had chance to get to know the regulars yet, but if you take a good shot of Aneirin, add a dash of Deleted member 16771 and season with a bit of Sandie33 then you wouldn't be far off ;).

I have had the chance to "read" them a bit, so this mix sounds positively lovely. :relaxed: