Autism - Next evolution of man? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Autism - Next evolution of man?

I've been mulling this over all of yesterday, and despite people in this thread being very eloquent and having some interesting ideas, I still can't see how this would ever work. Having lived with autism and taught children with autism, all I see is disaster.

OP, could you maybe pinpoint what characteristics of an autistic person (granted, there are many different sorts on the autistic spectrum) you feel would be beneficial?

Whilst a lot of people with autism are highly intelligent, there are often a host of other problems that either prevent them from using their intelligence effectively. While you could teach someone with Autism empathy, how to read facial expressions and emotions, how to communicate with others and etc etc it's never going to come naturally to them. I just don't see it...

I know a good few people with Aspergers and autism...some of them only have it very mildly, but some of the problems that they can have I wouldn't really wish on anyone.

edit: I'm sorry if some of my questions have already been answered, I haven't read this thread in 24 hours!

Excellent questions! I'm working on several theories.

Regardless whether Autism is evolutionary or developmental disorder, our current understanding is inaccurate. I do strongly believe that far more Autistic people can be helped to develop far more than most currently do. Unfortunately, too many are focused on working within the known parameters, which is already minimal at best.

I will come back in a bit to answer your questions. I need to think about how to convey my thoughts.

Ok, I also apologise for being a dumb ass...I've had two hours sleep, and my computer is buggy...I saw my name and then your post to Apone I think it was, and I thought it was to me...whoopsies! My apologies.

Having read the reply that was actually to me....I think my last post covered most of it anyway. *blush* oops!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Evolution is the proliferation of mutations that help a species thrive and multiply. While there are certainly mutations among our billions, I can't see something like autism being beneficial for the species.

We'll probably genetically engineer our way to the next major steps in evolution.

Evolution is the proliferation of mutations that help a species thrive and multiply. While there are certainly mutations among our billions, I can't see something like autism being beneficial for the species.

We'll probably genetically engineer our way to the next major steps in evolution.

That is a fair statement. Thank you for your brilliantly delivered argument and not simply resorting to questioning my understanding of evolution.

Your second statement is very intriguing. I could debate both for and against that idea. However, I will reserve Man vs Nature as it pertains to evolution for another day in another thread.

First, I am humbled by Neverwhere's ability to explore with curiosity my point of view rather than dismiss it outright, even though she disagrees with my presented theory. There's a lot going on in my mind and it's difficult to verbalize my ideas clearly. All of you have helped me in some fashion by strongly opposing and debating my idea, but to actually ask me why I think what I think? Really challenges me to find the words to verbalize the theory more clearly, which ultimately helps me develop the theory consciously. Thank you.

(Also, I am also grateful to Apone's consistent antagonistic and intelligently delivered viewpoints, complete with rather amusing witticisms, even if I appear to be rather annoyed by the remarks. Sometimes I really am annoyed though, but I value the challenge nonetheless.)

In any case, the initial visual correlation and argument presented is merely what sparked the possibility of evolution in my mind. Please bear with me as I try to expand and articulate the theory...

[To be continued... need to eat dinner first]

I believe the Autistic person is capable of an unimaginable level of intelligence. I will probably not be able to properly convey what I see, but I will try.

They have an awareness and focus that is very very great. Imagine being in a crowded bar with your friends. There's loud music, dancing, pool, laughing, loud obnoxious behaviours, etc going on all around you. For most people, though it is loud, the background can become white noise as you focus on hanging with your friends. Now try to imagine being able to apply that same level of focus to everything going on around you and be consciously aware of all of it, at the same time. If you can somehow actually picture that, now try applying the same focus simultaneously to all happenings in crowded sporting arena. What we do to focus, is their average awareness. Now if that is simply their awareness, try to imagine how intense their focus can become.

[In regards to the more severely Autistic...] Their minds operate at a much more advanced level than the average human can even begin to comprehend. Because they're initial existence is primarily cerebral, motor control may become difficult as a result. Their minds had been so busy contemplating other things, they had not yet had the time to learn how to perform some of the most basic bodily functions, let alone fine tune their motor control. In it's current form, it is a developmental disability. Different functions of the brain develop at different rates depending on where the focus and the peripheral awareness is applied.

In algebra, if you have an equation with both x and y variables in it, it becomes difficult to solve for y, without knowing what x is. An autistic will get stuck on trying to figure it out. Because of their intense focus, this can take a while. This may seem like they're "slow", but what we fail to realize is how much processing the Autistic brain has computed to solve for y. It could take decades for the average brain to consider so many possibilities. It's like comparing a Cray supercomputer to a single Pentium I powered desktop PC.

They spend a lot of their lives trying to figure the world out for themselves. They are also divergent thinkers, experiential learners. Traditional teaching methods and sequential verbal language are either too slow and/or inadequate to provide the answers for Autistics to grasp what they are wanting to understand. This is the key really, if we knew what they wanted to understand, and we found a way to help them learn it in a way that makes sense to them, they would probably not only develop in every way faster than they do now, but probably far faster than the average human could keep up with.

The challenge in getting through to them is because of their intense focus. Think of it this way, you are watching the superbowl (or stanley cup, world cup, etc event) and your wife wants you take out the trash or clean the garage or whatever, but you ignore the request because you are watching the superbowl. You still heard your wife ask, but that only registered in your peripheral awareness, because you are focussed on the game. You might do it later, after the game's over, or you might have forgotten because of how long the game went on for. Causing your wife to get mad because you didn't do what she asked you to do. For an Autistic person, this superbowl can go on for a very long time.

Some insightful links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_GXVzZ0Unk

http://carlysvoice.com/home/faq/

Reactions: 5r6jhd
Some interesting ideas, a friend of mine worked with autistic children for years, and I would guess he is fairly likely to be high on the aspergers rating himself. He is a really gifted musician, very very clever. I'd suggest dyslexia as a link too, though usually dyslexic usually manage better socially.

Whether its evolution though is another thing, to me nature likes to experiment and diversify. Tall, short, broad, thin, smart, strong, quick, varying traits to increase our overall chances of survival.

Some interesting ideas, a friend of mine worked with autistic children for years, and I would guess he is fairly likely to be high on the aspergers rating himself. He is a really gifted musician, very very clever. I'd suggest dyslexia as a link too, though usually dyslexic usually manage better socially.

Whether its evolution though is another thing, to me nature likes to experiment and diversify. Tall, short, broad, thin, smart, strong, quick, varying traits to increase our overall chances of survival.

It's funny you mention dyslexia. I am working on a separate theory (nothing to do with evolution :p). I posit that most learning disabilities, developmental disorders, personality disorders, mood disorders, etc are all related to the same "thing". I can almost prove it, but I have to spend 10-20 years going through University to prove it in a socially acceptable way. :S (And I don't mean through crazy drug experiments, or cutting people open or anything like that. My theories are based on very non-invasive methods. :p)

As for your second statement, (perhaps also in some relation to my above comment) how true! I hadn't really thought about it that way. :)

Another addendum I wish to add: (thanks to Muir! for the inspiration)

According to Ron Davis, the key to helping Autistic people is:

1. Individuation
2. Identity development
3. Social Integration

Reference: http://www.davisautism.com/how_does_itwork.html

Society in general actually works in the opposite direction. Another reason that people struggle to help Autistics. Like the Dyslexic, the Gifted, the Systems Thinker, the Visual-Spatial learner, the CEO, etc they work in a top/down processing model, as where most people learn bottom/up.

NOTE: I will append my original post in case anyone does not want to read through the whole thread to put together the basis of my initial argument. It would appear that I am unable to as the "Edit Post" button is missing. :(

Last edited:
Autism: The Eusocial Hominid Hypothesis

ASDs (autism spectrum disorders) are hypothesized as one of many adaptive human cognitive variations that have been maintained in modern populations via multiple genetic and epigenetic mechanisms. Introgression from "archaic" hominids (adapted for less demanding social environments) is conjectured as the source of initial intraspecific heterogeneity because strict inclusive fitness does not adequately model the evolution of distinct, copy-number sensitive phenotypes within a freely reproducing population.

Evidence is given of divergent encephalization and brain organization in the Neanderthal (including a ~1520 cc cranial capacity, larger than that of modern humans) to explain the origin of the autism subgroup characterized by abnormal brain growth.

Autism and immune dysfunction are frequently comorbid. This supports an admixture model in light of the recent discovery that MHC alleles (genes linked to immune function, mate selection, neuronal "pruning," etc.) found in most modern human populations come from "archaic" hominids.

Mitochondrial dysfunction, differential fetal androgen exposure, lung abnormalities, and hypomethylation/CNV due to hybridization are also presented as evidence.

A short video introduction:
[video=youtube;Jk_85vNaSMA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_85vNaSMA[/video]

The full 2-hour video presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-6Naz-C0M