Aspbergers | INFJ Forum

Aspbergers

Start at "It's an extremely rare condition" which means you probably don't. Then move to "It's an extremely obvious condition" which means if you did have it, it would have been pointed out repeatedly.

Nah, people tell me all the time I have Aspergers. Could you imagine that? Loveable me?

I didn't intend to imply that I think I have this.

I would say the best way would be to make an appointment with at least one professional that has the qualifications to diagnose it. I few parents I know are kind of "autism-happy" with saying their child has it when it might not be the case. I also know of one child that I think was misdiagnosed by a professional, so multiple opinions is a good choice.

I dated an INTJ with it. He didn't define himself by it, and he was never formally diagnosed, but he knew he did. Having a relationship/friendship with someone who has Aspergers is not easy. There are many characteristics that I'm sure you can find online or ask a professional.

The simplest thing I guess I noticed is that there is a serious emotional cut off, unable to relate, communicate feelings directly or express personal emotions. There was no awkward laughing off of things or trying to console others in distress, just a complete cut off like I've never seen in anyone else. It's not that he didn't want to communicate his emotions, he just could not.

Nah, people tell me all the time I have Aspergers. Could you imagine that? Loveable me?

Heh, no you suffer from Assholer's Syndrome. It's that disorder where you feel compelled to say whatever you think or feel without regard for anyone else's feelings. I have a fair degree of it myself. Hehe. It's easy to confuse the two since they sound so much alike and have similar symptoms. However the causes are completely different. Aspies can't help it for one.

Reactions: Satya
The aspie approach to feelings is... unique. I fell for an aspie once. It was an interesting experience that blew up in a spectacular way. Years later, I still miss her.

The most noticeable giveaway is all the trouble the unusual behavior & way of feeling affects the childhood. Communication problems, odd habbits, and trouble when things are unpredictable, it all makes one stand out. (And we all knows what happens to children that stand out...)

Imagine having to learn feelings and emotions that normal people take for granted just by observation. You can get close with time, but it's easy for others to spot that something is off, especially when you get to know an aspie on a deeper level. Some human interaction that happens one to one simply can't be learnt by observing others. Try to analyse some emotions rationally and they just doesn't make sense - those an aspie will have trouble with.

If you are interested, I reccomend reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curious_Incident_of_the_Dog_in_the_Night-Time ) - it's a good book that's spot on when it comes to how a young aspie acts & thinks. Reading the wiki page tells me that's partially an accident, but anyway, it's accurate.

I found out I had Aspergers by studying about it and working with a psychiatrist.