Ask a Canuck | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Ask a Canuck

I officially declare a new nickname for the Canadian peoples (whether they like or not),
as Canuck is not the kind of word an Australian would use as a nickname.

Therefore, as of the 25th of October, 2016, in the region of time in which I dwell (not saying!),
Canadians shall henceforth be referred to by Australians (or at least one) as:

Cakaz (pronounced: ca, as in Caribbean; k, as in crab; az, as in Amazon)

or any of the following alternatives:

Naka (pronounced: na, as in nappy; and ka, as in car) or Caka (pronounced: ca, as in Caribbean; and ka, as in car).

Signed,

Lingistic Dictator of the Southern Isels

Doesn't "Caka" mean "poo" in Malay?

Doesn't "Caka" mean "poo" in Malay?

LOL. If so, lol. I know caca (pronounced: ca-ca/ car/car) in Italian means "poo". A quick search, Urban Dictionary has 'caka' meaning poo, but I'm assuming under the pronunciation: ca-ca as above.

Reactions: hn87c901
Mine may be a silly question but plausable just the same.
Since I live in the US...and here in Mohawk tradition if your mother is at least 1/4 Mohawk then you can declare Native American citizenship. Is this true also in Canada?

My Maternal Great-Grandmother was 1/2 French Canadian and 1/2 Mohawk Indian. Since we have this citizenship rule here...and I am partly decended from French-Canadian blood could I declare (or be adopted) for citizenship in Canada should our current election go bad? :p

In Canada based upon my understanding you could not apply to be a "Status Indian" In order to do this you would need one grandparent that was fully native. Being a Status Indian exempts you from paying income tax and some other taxes. As far as the Haudenosaunee are concerned I don't know what their rules are.

As far as Canadian citizenship is concerned: On April 17, 2009, the rules changed for people born outside Canada. Citizenship by birth outside Canada to a Canadian parent (citizenship by descent) is now limited to the first generation born outside Canada.

That being said you should try to press it. What's good enough for Elizabeth Warren should be good enough for you.

Read The Orenda by Joseph Boyden if you interested in Haudenosaunee culture.

Reactions: Gaze and Sandie33
In Canada based upon my understanding you could not apply to be a "Status Indian" In order to do this you would need one grandparent that was fully native. Being a Status Indian exempts you from paying income tax and some other taxes. As far as the Haudenosaunee are concerned I don't know what their rules are.

As far as Canadian citizenship is concerned: On April 17, 2009, the rules changed for people born outside Canada. Citizenship by birth outside Canada to a Canadian parent (citizenship by descent) is now limited to the first generation born outside Canada.

That being said you should try to press it. What's good enough for Elizabeth Warren should be good enough for you.

Read The Orenda by Joseph Boyden if you interested in Haudenosaunee culture.
Thank you. You helped me learn something new today :) I hadn't thought there was going to be an answer.

Reactions: Asa
Mine may be a silly question but plausable just the same.
Since I live in the US...and here in Mohawk tradition if your mother is at least 1/4 Mohawk then you can declare Native American citizenship. Is this true also in Canada?

My Maternal Great-Grandmother was 1/2 French Canadian and 1/2 Mohawk Indian. Since we have this citizenship rule here...and I am partly decended from French-Canadian blood could I declare (or be adopted) for citizenship in Canada should our current election go bad? :p
Our current election has already gone bad. Your choices, criminal corrupt loon or detached narcissistic blowhard. Theres no winning this one though as you know I believe there is a lesser evil.

Reactions: Sandie33
Our current election has already gone bad. Your choices, criminal corrupt loon or detached narcissistic blowhard. Theres no winning this one though as you know I believe there is a lesser evil.
Thanks for the chuckle @Eventhorizon :p ...yea. At this stage I've begun keeping eye and ear on 2020's list of hopefuls. I almost slipped into being overly stressed by the elections. I have too much on my plate of personals to continue with the March...onward to 2020! Haha.

How much does grade a maple syrup cost in canada? I bought a small bottle of grade B the other day for 8 bucks.

Reactions: Night Owl
@Night Owl

1. Would you be able to comment and explain a little concerning the division/rivalry existent between the US and Canada.

Sociological differences like politeness/ rudeness. arrogance/ humility. acceptance/ disrespect. congeniality/ brashness. Some of the differences are stereotypes, because the differences exist within both countries.

2. How common is it for Canadians to be able to speak French to some reasonable capacity?

It is estimated that 17.5% are Bilingual in French and English.

3. What would be the standard response of a Canadian if they were mistaken for an American?

A range between feeling insulted to politely correcting them.

Reactions: Night Owl and Gaze
How much does grade a maple syrup cost in canada? I bought a small bottle of grade B the other day for 8 bucks.

It's so Canadian of me to know this off-hand, but depending on the retailer you could probably get 250 ml for $10-ish or so.