Ask a Canuck | INFJ Forum

Ask a Canuck

brightmoon

Community Member
Oct 2, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
A copy of [MENTION=14675]Night Owl[/MENTION] forum on Australia

Ask an Canadian any quires relating to Canada.

Other Canadian forum members, answer away

Hee hee.

1. Would you be able to comment and explain a little concerning the division/rivalry existent between the US and Canada.

2. How common is it for Canadians to be able to speak French to some reasonable capacity?

3. What would be the standard response of a Canadian if they were mistaken for an American?

I've made a few boo-boo's of identifying Americans as Canadians and vice versa, and every time they seem to get a little razzed.

Edit: To let you know, which you might have known already, Canuck is very rarely used by Australian's to refer to Canadians, and many would have to stop and think who or what a Canuck is.

Reactions: James and hn87c901
@ night owl

1. To know the answer to this question you need to understand the history of North America. Shortly before the American Revolution Britain defeated France and ended French colonization in NA. When the revolution was going on the US forces invaded Quebec with the assumption that the French Canadians would join the revolution. It didn't work out the that way. After the conquest the British made many guarantees specifically that the French could keep their practicing Catholicism. The promises the Americans made to them were not believed and they decided to remain loyal. After the revolution was lost many refugees who remained loyal to the crown moved to Canada, these people were called Tories or Loyalists, and contrary to the US version of events they weren't all rich and powerful. So Canada was founded by two groups that turned their backs on the American experiment.

That explain the rivalry to some extent.

More answers to come

What are three top misconceptions of Canadians?

How does Canada view and handle multiculturalism (cultural and ethnic diversity)?

What are Canadian's favorite meals?

What are the biggest differences in lifestyle between the average Canadian and the average American?

Reactions: James
How do you feel about Justin Trudeau?

Ok [MENTION=9]NightOwl[/MENTION]

2. The answer depends on where the Canadian live those that live in Western Provinces are less likely to be fluently bilingual than those that live in the Eastern provinces. Most Canadian have some proficiency in French but those who are truly bilingual are in the minority.

3. I'm assuming you are talking about an English Canadian because a French wouldn't be mistaken for an American. There is an English Canadian accent -- to many Americans it sounds vaguely Scottish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising but its not perceptible to people outside North America. You would likely politely be corrected.

Canuck is a term Canadians used to refer to themselves
[MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION] I really don't know the answer but you are more likely to accepted as immigrant if you have a valuable skill or family living here. I' will refer you to this website http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/index.asp

[MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION]

What are three top misconceptions of Canadians? That we have no military or military traditions That we all want to be American. That the 9/11 hijackers came into the US through Canada.

How does Canada view and handle multiculturalism (cultural and ethnic diversity)? We are a multicultural country that celebrates the strength diverse cultures give our society. We are one of the welcoming places to different cultures in the world.

What are Canadian's favorite meals? Marconi and Cheese (we eat more of it than anyone else) Maple syrup, poutine (french fries covered in gravy and cheese curds) butter tarts are meal that orginated here. Plus all the food that the various cultures have given us.

What are the biggest differences in lifestyle between the average Canadian and the average American? This is kind of hard. I think Canadian tend to eat better and excerside more as a whole than Americans but I can't really back this up.

Finally [MENTION=12656]Elegant Winter[/MENTION] Full discolure, I am a Liberal supporter so my opinion will be given through by own perspective. Justin is the best PM we have had in recent memory and is doing a great job overall. Harper never truly represented Canadian values and was hard pressed to get a working majority. He only managed to get into power because of the weakness of the Liberal leaders at the time and was unable to do what he truly wanted to do which was change the fabric of this country to be more right wing. It turns out hanging onto power was more important to him than his ideology. Its great to have a PM who truly understands what Canada is about and that includes a welcoming to more Syrian refugees (a key campaign promise).

Judging from the tagline on your signature, this will meet with your disapproval. Marine is no different than her father and she is fooling no one who has examined the NP positions.

Reactions: James and Asa
[MENTION=14664]dang[/MENTION] You are right, only the exceptions are when you are dreaming of single payer healthcare and low prescription drugs. View attachment 28117
[MENTION=14730]Milktoast Bandit[/MENTION] It was supposed to be funny, but it went over my head

Do you like the author Margret Atwood, especially the Handmaids Tale (my favourite).

@melissa* Yes Margaret Atwood is a very talented author. The Handmaids Tale is scary on many levels. Religious fundamentalism (Christian,Muslim, or any other religion) are equally toxic philosophies that have the ability to trample individual freedom without giving it a second thought. These philosophies serve the powerful

Reactions: James and Asa
Who is your favorite Canadian musician/band?

Do you remember these two?
mr-dressup.jpg

Yes @Asa those guys are Casey and Finnegan the puppets from Mr. Dressup, the long standing children program which ran on CBC from 1967 to 1996.

Along with the Friendly Giant, the two show were mainstays of any kid who grew up in Canada from 1960s - 1990s

The iconic opening to the Friendly Giant (ran on CBC 1958 - 1985) is here and it brings back memories for me of growing up in that time and place.

As for bands,

Probably Neil Young. I love Rush, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen. Blue Rodeo and the Barenaked Ladies are also very good.

sorry in advance for all the digs.

do your lumberjacks wear high heels?

Yep as an homage to Monty Python which really fits into the Canadian sense of humour. There's good reason why many of the comedians in the US were born here.

which is higher in nutrition ketchup or maple syrup?

Ok [MENTION=9]NightOwl[/MENTION]

2. The answer depends on where the Canadian live those that live in Western Provinces are less likely to be fluently bilingual than those that live in the Eastern provinces. Most Canadian have some proficiency in French but those who are truly bilingual are in the minority.

3. I'm assuming you are talking about an English Canadian because a French wouldn't be mistaken for an American. There is an English Canadian accent -- to many Americans it sounds vaguely Scottish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising but its not perceptible to people outside North America. You would likely politely be corrected.

Canuck is a term Canadians used to refer to themselves
[MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION] I really don't know the answer but you are more likely to accepted as immigrant if you have a valuable skill or family living here. I' will refer you to this website http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/index.asp

[MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION]

What are three top misconceptions of Canadians? That we have no military or military traditions That we all want to be American. That the 9/11 hijackers came into the US through Canada.

How does Canada view and handle multiculturalism (cultural and ethnic diversity)? We are a multicultural country that celebrates the strength diverse cultures give our society. We are one of the welcoming places to different cultures in the world.

What are Canadian's favorite meals? Marconi and Cheese (we eat more of it than anyone else) Maple syrup, poutine (french fries covered in gravy and cheese curds) butter tarts are meal that orginated here. Plus all the food that the various cultures have given us.

What are the biggest differences in lifestyle between the average Canadian and the average American? This is kind of hard. I think Canadian tend to eat better and excerside more as a whole than Americans but I can't really back this up.

Finally [MENTION=12656]Elegant Winter[/MENTION] Full discolure, I am a Liberal supporter so my opinion will be given through by own perspective. Justin is the best PM we have had in recent memory and is doing a great job overall. Harper never truly represented Canadian values and was hard pressed to get a working majority. He only managed to get into power because of the weakness of the Liberal leaders at the time and was unable to do what he truly wanted to do which was change the fabric of this country to be more right wing. It turns out hanging onto power was more important to him than his ideology. Its great to have a PM who truly understands what Canada is about and that includes a welcoming to more Syrian refugees (a key campaign promise).

Judging from the tagline on your signature, this will meet with your disapproval. Marine is no different than her father and she is fooling no one who has examined the NP positions.

1) Is it really really cold in Canada ?

2) Can the UK borrow Justin Trudeau to mediate with the EU, apologize on our behalf, and plead with them to let us stay ?

We went out late that night, drank way too much, and put an X in the wrong box. Basically we are very sorry, it was stupid. We just don't know how to fix things, without looking even more stupid. I mean you can't really say no can you, as that would be rude right ? I promise we will give him straight back afterwards, unless he wanted to stay himself. I feel like this question is longer than I meant it to be. I'm sorry.

In case anyone queries your assessment of Trudeau here is a short clip of him explaining how Quantum computers operate, as opposed to classical ones. I'm fairy sure our UK Prime Minister would not do as well explaining anything or get that kind of applause. Especially since pretty much the entire UK science community is against Brexit.

@James

(1) In word yes. Some parts of Canada are colder than others. The parts that are the most densely populated are the warmest parts, 90% Canadians live not more than 160km from the US border.

(2) Justin Trudeau, in contrast to his father, suffers from the perception that is he a light-weight intellectually and that he lacked the requisite experience to be an effective PM. The Tory candidate during the election also lacked any kind of executive experience when he started out, so I never bought into that narrative. The clip demonstrates this is not true, even though the Tories have claimed it was staged. I am a biased supporter of the Liberal Party -- full disclosure.

Justin has his hands full here negotiating our own free trade deal with the EU called Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA). Right now its not going so well, with the with the southern Belgian region of Wallonia holding out (apparently the deal needs unanimity to pass). Pretty soon the UK is going to need to negotiate its own deal. Good luck.

Thanks for the thumbs!!