Are you sure it's a problem? | INFJ Forum

Are you sure it's a problem?

soulseeker

Permanent Fixture
Dec 19, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Do you take the time to think if what's distracting you is problem or just a discomfort?

It is possible for a discomfort to become a problem right?

do you think it's the same thing? (the discomfort can become a problem too)

so how do you deal with discomforts and problems?

Probably depends on the nature of the discomfort. Some discomforts teach us new skills. Some come from avoidance of core issues. In either case, patience and observation will generally suggest whether a course change is needed or not.

its like a cut that wont heal, its always there a dull ache. but never healing, then you bump it up against something, or some one and the cut is ripped open, just a little bigger this time. then it bleeds and bleeds...getting the bleeding to stop takes days, but then comes to rest. The sore doesn't heal, its always there, a dull ache.

so a discomfort becomes a problem, when left untreated.

Dealing with them is difficult. It becomes much like digging out an infection from a wound that wont heal. With out the aid of medical attention, you will never dig it all out.

In this case, I am not one to say that you always need a professional, but that is my analogy...

in a documentary about people who do the new york times crossword daily, bill clinton talked about his strategy when he got stuck on a certain part of the puzzle. he said something like that he can't solve the problem if he stays there. it works better if he just leaves that area for awhile and works on other parts of the puzzle coming more easily. then we he returns he can often solve the difficult part.

i liked how he articulated that because i often do the same thing. people may think i'm avoiding something difficult by taking some time away or working on other things that come more easily, but it's like those activities give space for intuition to work on an issue.

of course i have to be honest with myself if i really am just avoiding or running away because i don't like problems. (because i can do that too). but mostly it's just that i need space to find the most effective approach for me.