Are you personable in manner of communication? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Are you personable in manner of communication?

[MENTION=1360]TheDaringHatTrick[/MENTION]

Also to give a real example, in China people used to have a separate name given to them for use among peers and such, as it would be rude to use someone's full given name. This still held true even between the most causal of friends, so it wasn't really about being formal at all.

Kind of like how in the US one wouldn't go to Denny's and start grabbing food with their bare hands and stuffing their face and making a mess. Everybody uses a fork or something even in the most casual of settings. That's not formality, that's just manners.

@TheDaringHatTrick

Also to give a real example, in China people used to have a separate name given to them for use among peers and such, as it would be rude to use someone's full given name. This still held true even between the most causal of friends, so it wasn't really about being formal at all.

Kind of like how in the US one wouldn't go to Denny's and start grabbing food with their bare hands and stuffing their face and making a mess. Everybody uses a fork or something even in the most casual of settings. That's not formality, that's just manners.

I realize this (and you're really preaching to the choir here) but I appreciate you taking the time to come up with examples.

I realize this (and you're really preaching to the choir here) but I appreciate you taking the time to come up with examples.

Yes, sorry. I some times say things for everyone's benefit and not just the person I'm talking to. Actually I do that a lot since this is a forum. Somebody else might find it worth considering, or they might not.

Generally I'm not very personable, but I think it depends on whom I'm talking to.

Formality and familiarity can go to extremes. Somewhere in between there is courtesy.

On the balance of things, I mostly prefer some formality when speaking with strangers, because it safeguards against unwanted intrusions into personal matters - especially when one doesn't know, or understand the other person (or vice-versa). In fact, there have only ever been a few people I can be completely candid with and at ease.

I can be anywhere from very formal to very casual to fit the situation and the people I am speaking to. I'm always trying to make people feel comfortable and adapting your manner of speaking to the people you are communicating with is one of the main ways to do that.

As a Native American, you are socialized to understand the difference between formal and informal settings. It is impressed upon you that you not only represent yourself but your family, your tribe and overall, Natives when interacting with people in social situations. Depending on the social context, I will interact in a manner that I see fit and best presents myself to Others given the context.

I am normally very formal but strive to be affable as well.

I would say,it really depends on what the situation I'm in calls for. When I first meet someone, I'm polite. Period. The more my relationship with this person becomes defined, the more I adjust my vocabulary with them to suit it. A tell- tale sign I've grown familiar is when I cuss and don't apologize for my language.

Interesting responses everyone. So it seems like most of people here is leaning toward formality, instead of informality.

I can be very formal sometimes, to the point of annoyance. It can be used as a tactic for psychological distance, whihc i often do, when I feel there is a need to.

I think it also depends on different cultures. In Romania, being familiar in a setting is considered to be impolite. In contrast, americans seem to me like the whole nation is sleeping in the same room, and they wash their clothes eachother.

Its also very true that excessive informality can lead to being a idiot, and treating people superficial.

Yo! Ayy, ow ya doin?!? And yeah, ma diction in friggin' great!

I am formal with complete strangers, as the acquaintance gradually gets deeper formality slowly begins to fade and starts to assume the shape of informality until it eventually reaches the stage of strong informality and stays there.