Are You A Speed Demon ? - Skip To The End... | INFJ Forum

Are You A Speed Demon ? - Skip To The End...

James

Infamy, infamy.. they've all got it infamy
Retired Staff
Dec 29, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Hi,

I just randomly watched this video on TED - In Praise of Slowness. I don't think it's the best/funniest presentation I've seen, but I really do think the ideas contained in it are important. In an almost Ferris Bueller type way, I think the world moves too fast, and often with little thought. Especially for the long term impact of those actions. It's like I'm watching a world addicted to 'activity' but not too concerned about thinking first.

I confess by nature I'm a very impatient person. When I want to do things I want it done NOW. Over time I've realized that it is very foolish. Sure its important to tackle some things urgently, but my father always used to tell me 'take your time'. He was the same in nature, and he always urged me to slow down and think 'ten minutes thinking can save a months work' was his phrase. He'd worked in engineering and on projects that required great accuracy. Rushing meant errors, errors meant failure. Precision mattered.

I think now, I've adapted and I try to slow down and consider all the angles, but it's hard in situations when you're surrounded by people who want 'activity' now, without considering whether that's even a good or bad thing. My ex is totally this way. She is constantly busy, even at weekends etc. She will only slow down when she's exhausted. I have worked in organizations that were so inefficient and poorly run, it would make me feel like screaming. Instead I tried to 'chip away' at that culture and introduce improvements where I could. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

What do other people think ? Am I way off base ? If you're off work in a big city have you ever watched how people are, literally racing around, even in their free time. To me it's sad.

I also confess, I'm a bit of a thinking 'machine'. I enjoy complex problems. I like to take time and really chew them over. I am a big fan of deep cognitive thought. It can frustrate people though who want 'instant action' especially if they don't understand that 'wheels are whirring' internally even if not visible on the surface. Sadly when I look at the things that go wrong in the world, it's rarely due to a lack of activity, but very often due to a lack of thought. Often it's the 'activity' with little to no prior thought that has caused the problem.

But that's just my two cents. What do you think ?

I've always been a slow poke. :D And despite protests, I'm happy with it.

Reactions: James

Sorry, I couldn't think of anything else.

I can't stand slow people.. I generally move at twice or three times the pace of most.

But I move deliberately too, can't stand it when I see people 'faffing' about.

But yea, in broader terms, we've become a zombie society.