Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
I was running around the internet looking at online quizes as per usual in boredom. I eveutnaly came across a Biblical comprehension test, little to say I did not like it. It's answers were to close to each other and often only showed skill at biblical memorization the actual understanding.

Even more so I thought about different theological backgrounds and how they might affect the test and skew the results.

So I thought I might post a test similar to something I might find in a class from one of my professors. But instead of just understanding I also want to test interpretation skills to see what the Biblemeans to you.

So instead of asking questions, I'm going to post up several verses from the NT and OT and all you have to do is figure ou what the particular verse means or more importantly what you think it means.

Feel free to complete them in order you feel comfortable or only the one you wish to interprate.

first of will start with the OT passage from Daniel 7

The first part dealing with the Ancient of Days is split from the part about the Son of mans as though they corrolate they are valuable seperate.

Bold text often represents a qoute from the OT.

Ancient of Days

I kept looking
Until thrones were set up,
And the Ancient of Days took His seat;
His vesture was like white snow
And the hair of His head like pure wool
His throne was ablaze with flames,
Its wheels were a burning fire.
10"A river of fire was flowing
And coming out from before Him;
Thousands upon thousands were attending Him,
And myriads upon myriads were standing before Him;
The court sat,
And the books were opened.

11"Then I kept looking because of the sound of the boastful words which the horn was speaking; I kept looking until the beast was slain, and its body was destroyed and given to the burning fire.
12"As for the rest of the beasts, their dominion was taken away, but an extension of life was granted to them for an appointed period of time.

The Son of Man Presented

13"I kept looking in the night visions,
And behold, with the clouds of heaven
One like a Son of Man was coming,
And He came up to the Ancient of Days
And was presented before Him.
14"And to Him was given dominion,
Glory and a kingdom,
That all the peoples, nations and men of every language
Might serve Him
His dominion is an everlasting dominion
Which will not pass away;
And His kingdom is one
Which will not be destroyed.

34"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35"For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;
36and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD.
37"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
38"And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39"He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

1That day Jesus went out of (the house and was sitting by the sea.

2And large crowds gathered to Him, so He got into a boat and sat down, and the whole crowd was standing on the beach.
3And He spoke many things to them in parables, saying, "Behold, the sower went out to sow;
4and as he sowed, some seeds fell beside the road, and the birds came and ate them up.
5"Others fell on the rocky places, where they did not have much soil; and immediately they sprang up, because they had no depth of soil.
6"But when the sun had risen, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
7"Others fell among the thorns, and the thorns came up and choked them out.
8"And others fell on the good soil and yielded a crop, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty. 9"He who has ears, let him hear."

"I am the first and the last;
beside me there is no God"

13Behold, My servant will prosper,
He will be high and lifted up and greatly exalted.
14Just as many were astonished at you, My people,
So His appearance was marred more than any man
And His form more than the sons of men.
15Thus He will sprinkle many nations,
Kings will shut their mouths on account of Him;
For what had not been told them they will see,
And what they had not heard they will understand.

5Then He poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.

6So He came to Simon Peter. He said to Him, "Lord, do You wash my feet?"
7Jesus answered and said to him, "What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter."
8Peter said to Him, "Never shall You wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."
9Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head."
10Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
11For He knew the one who was betraying Him; for this reason He said, "Not all of you are clean."
12So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?
13"You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.
14"If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
15"For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.
16"Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him.
17"If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.
18"I do not speak of all of you I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, 'HE WHO EATS MY BREAD HAS LIFTED UP HIS HEEL AGAINST ME.'
19"From now on I am telling you before it comes to pass, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am He. 20"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me."

31Therefore when he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in Him;

32if God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and will glorify Him immediately.
33"Little children, I am with you a little while longer You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, now I also say to you, 'Where I am going, you cannot come.'
34"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
36Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, where are You going?" Jesus answered, "Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you will follow later."
37Peter said to Him, "Lord, why can I not follow You right now? I will lay down my life for You." 38Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a rooster will not crow until you deny Me three times.

Well best of luck, and thanks for playing along. And remember sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and other times it is nothing like a cigar.

Well, I would like to play, but I am afraid that my knowledge of English is a little bit not enough fo this type of hermenaitics. Translation of Bible are usually very "high" type of language. I could put verses in Croatian:):)

This one:

34"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

35"For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;
37"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
38"And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39"He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

seems to contradict this one:

12So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?
14"If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
16"Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him.

and this one:
34"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

If I had to guess, I would say they were spoken by different men. But I am not a biblical scholar. But the first is all about conflict and the second two are all about loving each other.

Last edited:
What is the safest way to climb across a fence with a loaded gun?
A) first unload the gun, then cross the fence and have your partner pass the gun over to you, then reload the gun
B) pass the gun underneath the fence, then cross the fence
c) lean the gun up next to a post, cross the fence, then reach over and get the gun
or
D) unload the gun, slide it through the fence, then cross the fence

That from Isaiah seems a bit mixed from my memory, but foretells of one in the future. It actually starts near the end of Chapter 52 and ends at the end of 53, I think.

By His stripes are we healed.

One of my favorite passages and most difficult to read.

That of the sower and the seeds I think is actually explained.

Another speaks of the one who would betray him for silver, though much else is addressed there.

Another speaks of Peter's denial of knowing Him, though much else is addressed.

"A man's enemies are the members of his own household" seems to be the most difficult to explain. Cannot do so without ample time I lack this afternoon. Maybe someone else?

There is no safe way to cross a fence with a loaded gun.

I do not consider myself a Biblical scholar, btw.

Last edited:
Ancient of Days

I kept looking
Until thrones were set up,
And the Ancient of Days took His seat;
His vesture was like white snow
And the hair of His head like pure wool
His throne was ablaze with flames,
Its wheels were a burning fire.
10"A river of fire was flowing
And coming out from before Him;
Thousands upon thousands were attending Him,
And myriads upon myriads were standing before Him;
The court sat,
And the books were opened.

Meaning: Respect your elders! Otherwise they'll burn you with their firey backsides...

11"Then I kept looking because of the sound of the boastful words which the horn was speaking; I kept looking until the beast was slain, and its body was destroyed and given to the burning fire.
12"As for the rest of the beasts, their dominion was taken away, but an extension of life was granted to them for an appointed period of time.

Meaning: This is promoting the value of BBQs and saying "save some steak for the next BBQ".

The Son of Man Presented

13"I kept looking in the night visions,
And behold, with the clouds of heaven
One like a Son of Man was coming,
And He came up to the Ancient of Days
And was presented before Him.
14"And to Him was given dominion,
Glory and a kingdom,
That all the peoples, nations and men of every language
Might serve Him
His dominion is an everlasting dominion
Which will not pass away;
And His kingdom is one
Which will not be destroyed.

Meaning: Some guy got given lots of land and slaves.

Meaning: "Look out bitches! I'm here to whoop some ass!"

Meaning: Self important guy doesn't like family values.

1That day Jesus went out of (the house and was sitting by the sea.
2And large crowds gathered to Him, so He got into a boat and sat down, and the whole crowd was standing on the beach.
3And He spoke many things to them in parables, saying, "Behold, the sower went out to sow;
4and as he sowed, some seeds fell beside the road, and the birds came and ate them up.
5"Others fell on the rocky places, where they did not have much soil; and immediately they sprang up, because they had no depth of soil.
6"But when the sun had risen, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
7"Others fell among the thorns, and the thorns came up and choked them out.
8"And others fell on the good soil and yielded a crop, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty. 9"He who has ears, let him hear."

Meaning: Jesus hands out some sage horticultural wisdom.

"I am the first and the last;
beside me there is no God"

Meaning: ?

13Behold, My servant will prosper,
He will be high and lifted up and greatly exalted.
14Just as many were astonished at you, My people,
So His appearance was marred more than any man
And His form more than the sons of men.
15Thus He will sprinkle many nations,
Kings will shut their mouths on account of Him;
For what had not been told them they will see,
And what they had not heard they will understand.

Meaning: Royals are gunna shout at an ugly slave.

5Then He poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.

6So He came to Simon Peter. He said to Him, "Lord, do You wash my feet?"
7Jesus answered and said to him, "What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter."
8Peter said to Him, "Never shall You wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."
9Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head."
10Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
11For He knew the one who was betraying Him; for this reason He said, "Not all of you are clean."
18"I do not speak of all of you I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, 'HE WHO EATS MY BREAD HAS LIFTED UP HIS HEEL AGAINST ME.'
19"From now on I am telling you before it comes to pass, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am He. 20"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me."

31Therefore when he had gone out, Jesus said,"Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in Him;

32if God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and will glorify Him immediately.
33"Little children, I am with you a little while longer You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, now I also say to you, 'Where I am going, you cannot come.'
36Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, where are You going?" Jesus answered, "Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you will follow later."
37Peter said to Him, "Lord, why can I not follow You right now? I will lay down my life for You." 38Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a rooster will not crow until you deny Me three times.

Meaning: Jesus has a foot fetish.

Barnabas, how about some OT in the first Psalms?

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful; For his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law shall he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by rivers of water. His leaf also shall not wither, and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

The ungodly are not so, but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
Ever cast cracked corn into the wind? The good food gets tossed to the ground for feed, but the chaff is caught in the wind as it carries no weight and is of little to no use to the flock or the herd. Casting it into the wind is a must for those that have not experienced it.

Barnabas, how about some NT?

Romans 8

What say ye, Barnabas?