Are all men created equal? When will they be treated equally? | INFJ Forum

Are all men created equal? When will they be treated equally?

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
When will all men that were created equal start being treated equally?

51g1bjx3qKL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sorry, not to put your thread in different direction - I have problem with - are we all created at the first place?

Men'll be treated equally when they understand that they are equal, - that was easy one!

Created to me; crawled out of a mudhole and found DNA to you.

dsc04663.jpg

comparing-final-grades-with-my-fiance.gif

One person aces a test after studying all week. Another gets a C without studying, but is on the football team.
Yet another couldn't get a C if they tried. May we establish what equality means?

I disagree that all are created equal; and especially when application/achievement is taken into account, all are far from being equal .

Help me understand - do you say that I got C?
If so - it is understandable - I was worst student in my class and in the same time all those bookworms-best students came to me for help with math!
What I said is simple truth that many would write pages and pages and not come to this conclusion.

Reactions: just me
I disagree that all are created equal; and especially when application/achievement is taken into account, all are far from being equal .

We don't live in the perfect world. Not yet.
There is power in this world that is perfect and just.
What we se as application/achivement in this world is not what maters. Once we understand that we are all equal and part of the greater whole we will act accordingly.
Nature is perfect. Everyone has his own place and role - we have to understand who is who and what is what, love and appreciate each other....
That would be perfect world. But is it possible? Would it be boring than?

I agree that all are not created equal. Makes me think of:

Luke 12:48 (NIV) "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked" or if you prefer the Spider-man version...."Remember, with great power, comes great responsibility."

Why do all men need to be equal, why should we work towards this?

This phrase simply means that no man is the master of any other man. Each has the right to live their life as they choose and not as another chooses.

Reactions: Lingo
comparing-final-grades-with-my-fiance.gif

One person aces a test after studying all week. Another gets a C without studying, but is on the football team.
Yet another couldn't get a C if they tried. May we establish what equality means?

This comic reminds me of a story I read. It was called Enders Shadow. The main character was Bean. Bean learned early on in childhood that people took great interest in him when he excelled past everyone. Then he realized he did not want to be noticed, so he did just enough to not make people suspicious but also never let on he was planning 10 moves ahead of everyone else.

In school I did just enough to pass and spent my time thinking and doing other things. Looking back I probably would have been better off getting great grades on paper but... I never understood why the world worked as it did back then. I saw people getting straight As that were idiots. They couldn't think outside the box and the second you challenged their way of thinking they would shut down.
Anyway... Calvin and Hobbes was created by a genius.

This phrase simply means that no man is the master of any other man. Each has the right to live their life as they choose and not as another chooses.

What proves that this notion is true?

I think it's more important to seek fair balance rather than equality. Equality sort of assumes a certain level of "sameness" whereas if you view things in terms of balance and complementary features and abilities, one can "equalize" the playing field by making space for variance and recognize everyone can advance together when we accept that most people will not bring the same thing to the table but a variety of things that makes the whole work together better.

This has more to do with fair governance than actual equality.

This phrase was coined in the United States Declaration of Independence. The whole line is actually this:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

I'm pretty sure that "equal" in this case does not mean "the same"

Also what this boils down to is "why do we treat everyone fairly?"

People answer this question in various ways, such as "we're all humans" or "everyone has feelings" but almost always they point to one unifying common denominator. For example this skeptic says here http://bigthink.com/the-proverbial-skeptic/all-men-are-created-equal-really

The reason that people ought to be treated fairly and equally is not that they aren't different from one another. Rather, it's that they have agency, positive and negative experiences, preferences, and feelings. If we want to describe something as being kindly, or as diminishing suffering, we use the word "humane", which simply means "like a human". That says a lot about us.

So this person says that everyone is not the same, yet seems to point out a thing that is the same about everyone. That common denominator is the point of equality.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Also what this boils down to is "why do we treat everyone fairly?"

People answer this question in various ways, such as "we're all humans" or "everyone has feelings" but almost always they point to one unifying common denominator. For example this skeptic says here http://bigthink.com/the-proverbial-skeptic/all-men-are-created-equal-really

So this person says that everyone is not the same, yet seems to point out a thing that is the same about everyone. That common denominator is the point of equality.

In a few work situations I have come across both approaches: Emphasizing points/characteristics in common; Emphasizing diversity/individual abilities.
The former seems to suit the boss better, the latter seems to suit each individual better.

Why do governments strive to make people equal that are not? I'll be first to admit I'm different from most.