Any psychology majors? I very much would appreciate career advice | INFJ Forum

Any psychology majors? I very much would appreciate career advice

jupiterswoon

Permanent Fixture
Mar 30, 2012
MBTI
ISFP
Enneagram
So, I have decided to go back to school, and am majoring in psychology after a brief and very arduous term where I attempted to become a computer programmer, and very quickly realized that is not for me. I know that psychology is ultimately my greatest passion, but I'm trying to figure out which avenue I should take upon getting my degree. I am an INFJ, and although I love to help people and do sales, many people have recommended becoming a social worker. I'm torn because although I know I would be good at that, I am not attracted to the idea of making a smaller income, not to mention being overwhelmed and overloaded with other people's emotions. I don't want to become a psychologist, and I am not sure if I want to work in HR. I do want a comfortable income, and I do have a great passion for research. I like to brainstorm new ways of looking at things and I love to theorize. Any recommendations, thoughts, or personal experiences? I would appreciate people who have my temperament and have experience in these fields responding to this post.

Well, I will share one experience I've had, if it is helpful. One of my friends has a bachelor's in psychology, and a master's in social work (I believe that is correct). She is about 35 and was a social worker for some time before becoming completely burned out on it. I'm not sure why exactly, she just tells me she became burned out, and felt like her work became almost an exercise in futility. She recently re-entered the workforce in job placement/recruiting. What she's telling me now is that she feels like that is actually more productive and helpful to the people she interacts with. She's most likely an XNFX but I can't confirm that. There's an emotional drain that can occur sometimes in any field where you are trying to help others -- I think you have to know how to let it go sometimes, and know that you can't always help people even if you are giving it your best -- they have to want to change too.

This is just FWIW, and a second-hand account only; it would probably be good to talk to people who are in social work and like it. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck! Psychology is fascinating.

Are you aware that many MSWs are clinical psychotherapists? A degree in Social Work is the shortest route through academia to working as a therapist. The mental health landscape is changing rapidly. Psychologists in my part of the US are focused more on testing individuals for particular disorders.

Getting a degree in social work and taking classes in psychotherapy could be a fast track to your own practice where you could pull in between $65 and $150 per session.

I am a college student double-majoring in cognitive neuroscience and psychology. Since you asked, I am also an INFJ.

Interview a broad sample of practicing psychologists. If your institution has an archive center, ask the archivist for contact information on past graduated students. Ask your professors for advice. If you have the money to spare, sign up as an APA (American Psychological Association) affiliate, attend conferences, and subscribe to scientific journals to see what's going on. Volunteer at labs, rehabilitation centers, and research centers to get an idea for how various branches of psychology function on a daily basis. If you want to operate behind the scenes while still having an effect on human behavior, a solid income, and plenty of research to do, consider investigating industrial psychology. It studies the organization and productivity of businesses with a focus on higher productivity and workers' well-being. According to my professors, it is a very lucrative and fast-paced field with many job opportunities.
If that doesn't interest you, consider training for a full-time research position. The pay will not likely be as lofty as, say, a clinician in private practice making $150 an hour, but the work you do will still have a tangible impact on the world's runnings. I feel obligated to let you know that psychology as an academic subject is currently leaning strongly towards testing, pharmaceuticals, and standardization of behavior. Treat these as you feel fit, but remember to account for them.

As a closing note, the last thing you want to do is enter a career solely on the opinions of other people. Burnout, dissatisfaction, and depression rates are very high for extrinsically motivated folks. Continue searching your playing field, like you are now, and do what will bring you the best balance of benefits and contentment. Best of luck =)

I have an undergrad degree in psychology but did not complete my post-grad clinical studies. The reason being that I became disillusioned with the diagnostic system and realised that I did not have the capacity or stamina to work with the mentally ill. But if I had I'm sure it would have been a hugely rewarding career.

I do want a comfortable income, and I do have a great passion for research. I like to brainstorm new ways of looking at things and I love to theorize.

Research psychology could work very well for you.

So, I have decided to go back to school, and am majoring in psychology after a brief and very arduous term where I attempted to become a computer programmer, and very quickly realized that is not for me. I know that psychology is ultimately my greatest passion, but I'm trying to figure out which avenue I should take upon getting my degree. I am an INFJ, and although I love to help people and do sales, many people have recommended becoming a social worker. I'm torn because although I know I would be good at that, I am not attracted to the idea of making a smaller income, not to mention being overwhelmed and overloaded with other people's emotions. I don't want to become a psychologist, and I am not sure if I want to work in HR. I do want a comfortable income, and I do have a great passion for research. I like to brainstorm new ways of looking at things and I love to theorize. Any recommendations, thoughts, or personal experiences? I would appreciate people who have my temperament and have experience in these fields responding to this post.

In the USA, you will need a doctorate if you plan on going into clinical psychology. People are now getting social work degrees which only requires a master's degree, but you will not be taught much theory or receive sufficient clinical training - but this does not seem to stop LCSWs from fucking up their clients. You will most likely be working in clinics that take Medicare/Medicaid patients. Same as social services but a lighter client load. Grad schools in the USA are notoriously difficult to get into for a doc in clinical psych. Unless you know someone important or are a genius, don't waste your time.