Anti Intellectualism in American Life | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Anti Intellectualism in American Life

Noah?? Come on. The Grand Canyon?

51395638721_freesize.jpg

God help us.

Oh I could go on about “conservative” values.
They often preach hate and are founded in fear-based falsities, drummed up by big money.
Same group that attacks Planned Parenthood, tires to shut them down, defund them...and yet we still have a whole slew of children in the foster care system, we have children in the US who are malnourished and go to bed hungry - those same values build mega-churches, provide the pastor with a mansion and a private jet, but if you try and tax the churches their heads would explode.
It’s the Reagan, 1980’s “greed is good” policy...where the money is not hoarded by the rich but instead “trickles down” to the masses below in the form of jobs and benefits.
Hahahahahahahaha
Yeah...something is trickling down on people and it ain’t money.
80% of the population share 7% of the wealth in the US.
Sickening.

Reactions: Ryso89
So has Ken Ham to be fair.

The difference being, one of them wrote books based on superstition, and the other wrote books on how to be a businessman. A very important distinction to make.

I think some people just can't accept the fact that Trump may actually be an intelligent and intellectual person. Deal with it.

The difference being, one of them wrote books based on superstition, and the other wrote books on how to be a businessman. A very important distinction to make.

I think some people just can't accept the fact that Trump may actually be an intelligent and intellectual person. Deal with it.

If the distinction was important then why didn't you make it?

If the distinction was important then why didn't you make it?

Because I assumed the well-minded members of the forum would have understood the difference between the intellectualism of a businessman versus that of a Creationist. I didn't know people would make such ridiculous comparisons. It would have insulted their intelligence.

Because I assumed the well-minded members of the forum would have understood the difference between the intellectualism of a businessman versus that of a Creationist. I didn't know people would make such ridiculous comparisons. It would have insulted their intelligence.

That's circular reasoning. You used the fact that Trump writes books to exemplify his intellect. I point out that almost anyone can write books, and now you say Trumps books are different because he is somehow obviously intellectual.

Reactions: JJJA
That's circular reasoning. You used the fact that Trump writes books to exemplify his intellect. I point out that almost anyone can write books, and now you say Trumps books are different because he is somehow obviously intellectual.

Well, I do have to admit, I was a little overzealous in that last comment about writing more books. But my point regarding his intellectualism still stands. I am sure the book regarding Creationism has been well proof-read, but that doesn't make the analysis and arguments within to be factually accurate, which is usually one of the boxes you must tick in order to consider yourself intellectual.

Stop putting me in a position where I have to compliment you. Dammit. (Yes, I'm trying to be funny)

I completely understand your point about circular reasoning. I still have a lot to learn.

Trump speaks like a 3 year old but I am becoming more convinced its deliberate. However if so its also manipulative and it exploits the less desirable aspect of America.

Trump speaks like a 3 year old but I am becoming more convinced its deliberate. However if so its also manipulative and it exploits the less desirable aspect of America.

Trump has many flaws, and one of them includes his articulation, but I try not to allow this flaw to encourage denigration of his policies (I disagree with some of his policies, by the way, but him over Hillary is the easiest choice I've had to make in a long time).

Trump has many flaws, and one of them includes his articulation, but I try not to allow this flaw to encourage denigration of his policies (I disagree with some of his policies, by the way, but him over Hillary is the easiest choice I've had to make in a long time).

Voting for slime on the bottom of a bucket over Hillary would be an easy choice as well.

I think it's worth mentioning that being dumb is associated with being popular: Dumb jock, dumb blond, valley girl, etc. being smart is associated with being uncool: revenge of the nerds, etc. In America people want to be on the winners side and that is typically the popular person. I think this is how anti intellectualism has manifested itself.

relating to the presidential race, I don't think that Hillary is an intellectual. Bernie sanders would be the intellectual type imo. Trump and Hillary are on equal footing intellectually (in the dumpster) they are both popular with the media. Bernie is typically ignored but has some great policies.

Historically Americans don't trust smart people and do not value the expression of intelligence in their leaders. They hate the feeling of being being looked down on. Most successful Presidents have acted dumb to make people think they just ordinary folk like Reagan, George W Bush, and Bill Clinton. Those who refused to or were unable to pull off the folksy act like George Bush Sr. and Obama have been criticized for being elitists.

Historically Americans don't trust smart people and do not value the expression of intelligence in their leaders. They hate the feeling of being being looked down on. Most successful Presidents have acted dumb to make people think they just ordinary folk like Reagan, George W Bush, and Bill Clinton. Those who refused to or were unable to pull off the folksy act like George Bush Sr. and Obama have been criticized for being elitists.

There are many Americans who have an intelligence complex. Not only do they seem to resent smart people but there are people who look for ways to prove that smart people aren't really smart.

These people seem to have an obsession with mediocrity and proving that you don't need high intelligence to get by in life. They avoid becoming intelligent like it is some kind of disease.

Where do you get the fake wrestling comparison and that this is all about entertainment?

[video=youtube;TuesauNtqTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuesauNtqTU[/video]

Noah?? Come on. The Grand Canyon?

51395638721_freesize.jpg

[MENTION=14199]brightmoon[/MENTION] — How do you come to the conclusion that Americans aren’t intellectual?

[video=youtube;K9iR6sLwDKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9iR6sLwDKY[/video]

God help us.

Both of those videos just blew my mind. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or jump out the window.

Oh I could go on about “conservative” values.
They often preach hate and are founded in fear-based falsities, drummed up by big money.
Same group that attacks Planned Parenthood, tires to shut them down, defund them...and yet we still have a whole slew of children in the foster care system, we have children in the US who are malnourished and go to bed hungry - those same values build mega-churches, provide the pastor with a mansion and a private jet, but if you try and tax the churches their heads would explode.
It’s the Reagan, 1980’s “greed is good” policy...where the money is not hoarded by the rich but instead “trickles down” to the masses below in the form of jobs and benefits.
Hahahahahahahaha
Yeah...something is trickling down on people and it ain’t money.
80% of the population share 7% of the wealth in the US.
Sickening.

Just read that the majority of Americans have under $1,000 in savings. If there is another recession, or better yet an actual depression, the poverty and homelessness numbers will skyrocket. Yikes.

There are many Americans who have an intelligence complex. Not only do they seem to resent smart people but there are people who look for ways to prove that smart people aren't really smart.

These people seem to have an obsession with mediocrity and proving that you don't need high intelligence to get by in life. They avoid becoming intelligent like it is some kind of disease.

Sorry to say it, but Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights epitomizes the American male psyche. Plus the character was loosely based upon Bush Jr. who was elected president twice despite often sounding like a dumb ass. It seems many Americans really do resent the conservative fat cats and liberal educated elite. As if going to Harvard or MIT means you aren't a real honest American. If only everyone could be a high school drop out who starts a family too early. Then this nation would certainly be much better off.

Sorry to say it, but Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights epitomizes the American male psyche. Plus the character was loosely based upon Bush Jr. who was elected president twice despite often sounding like a dumb ass. It seems many Americans really do resent the conservative fat cats and liberal educated elite. As if going to Harvard or MIT means you aren't a real honest American. If only everyone could be a high school drop out who starts a family too early. Then this nation would certainly be much better off.

I wonder if America would be better if the American male was more like you or more like Ricky Bobby.

Just read that the majority of Americans have under $1,000 in savings. If there is another recession, or better yet an actual depression, the poverty and homelessness numbers will skyrocket. Yikes.

Yeah, the Baby Boomers are no where near being able to independently retire, they haven’t saved for it, or couldn’t afford to save is more likely...or they lost a huge chunk of it when our economy crashed a few years back.
So they can’t retire, which kind of clogs up the job market with too few jobs for all the new grads with $30,000 - 100,000 + in student loan debt.
People suck it up and do what they have to...about 10 years ago I took a second job delivering pizzas in the evening after working in surgery all day, but hell man, I walked with an average of $60-$100 bucks on the weekends nights in tips.
It was to say the least, a humbling experience to explain to people who you just happen to know that no...you didn’t get fired from your other job, etc.
I rather enjoyed it most of the time...driving around, smoking cigs (when I used to smoke), listening to my music all night...got free pizza.

Something serious is going to take place when the Boomers can no longer physically do the jobs they’ve been hoarding out of necessity.
I think parents will be moving in with their kids, (just as kids can’t move out of their parent’s home now) and some societal dynamics will change.
We will have to either up the ante on SS, which I hope never takes the form of privatizing it (Bush tried to do that right before the economy crashed btw, which would have killed SS outright)...or come up with a better option than co-habitation (which is not always possible or monetarily feasible), or throwing Grandma out under the overpass with a nice sleeping bag and a Maytag refrigerator box.

This is going to happen very soon...hell, it’s already happening...it will just reach a tipping point where it will be a huge issue we will have to fix.

Reactions: Ryso89

I wonder if you have anything to back up the idea that Americans or people in general do not trust smart people. Its an interesting concept. It may even be true but what facts can you provide that support the theory?

Interesting to note I had a good sum of money saved up until Obama had been in office for a year. Now I have no savings. This is fact as I can attest to its authenticity

Maybe. I have wondered about that. I suppose I have had the benefit of living on the east coast all my life and for the most part I have been shielded from those that dwell in the inner patts of the country. Still I guess it explains how Obama and other like minded individuals have gotten into office. It certainly seems to point the direction of the uninformed making uo a majority of American voters.