Anti Intellectualism in American Life | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Anti Intellectualism in American Life

It's as if some people mistake popular science magazines or news articles with peer-reviewed academic journals. Who'd have thought, eh?

The purpose of news is to provide accurate and unbiased summaries of information so that we can make educated decisions and come to substantiated conclusions of our own.

People of the many and various specializations do not have the knowledge and ability or time to read scientific peer-reviewed academic journals.

The purpose of news is to provide accurate and unbiased summaries of information so that we can make educated decisions and come to substantiated conclusions of our own.
Yet we have this problem:
Not entirely 'baseless' since the mainstream science dumbs it down for people to understand and then adds a dash of pseudoscience into it so that it looks exciting. It starts to look silly and baseless. Global warming is described as a 'blanket effect' when the actual thing that is happening is that CO2 is absorbing certain frequencies of light in our lower atmosphere and thereby causing the lower atmosphere to heat slightly. I mean what sounds like your bullshitting me #1 or number 2#?

It's the news people that do this, not the scientists.

People of the many and various specializations do not have the knowledge and ability or time to read scientific peer-reviewed academic journals.
Do you think typical magazine writers have any more time or knowledge than this?

Things get screwed up because of journalists wanting to sell a story that people want to read, and they dumb it down and add flavorings to make it more palatable which induces unnecessary bias and causes value to be lost. This is exactly where the problem you described earlier comes from.

Oh you sneaky son of a sneetch. You implying I'm some kind of Fix It Chappy?

tumblr_inline_nrtyzqD5t11qafrh6_500.gif

Honestly, though, people would do well to read more Dr. Seuss. The Sneetches is actually a remarkable analogue to what's going on right now.

What were you saying? I was distracted by her hotness.

this reminds me of a line in the charlie kaufman movie "anomalisa". the lead character says something along the lines of "it's easier to control a nation of poor people and soldiers". keep people uneducated and teach them to hate intellectuals and you have the recipe for a flaccid population that you can puppet around.

i just read about the reagan-era economic philosophy of "starving the beast". long story short, you drain money from public institutions like public schools, the dmv, public transportation, health care, etc.
when the service starts to lack, people will start hating those institutions. then politicians can say "see? we told you that they sucked!" and justify more defunding of the programs. eventually they can just privatize everything and hurt people without them caring.

This is what happens when you stop thinking critically:

In Science

- 52 percent of Americans agreed with the statement “The climate change we are currently seeing is a natural phenomenon that happens from time to time."
- “The climate change we are currently seeing is largely the result of human activity.” In the U.S. 32 percent of people disagreed with this.
- More than four in 10 Americans continue to believe that God created humans in their present form 10,000 years ago, a view that has changed little over the past three decades

In Politics

– 38% believe that the US has found clear evidence in Iraq that Saddam Hussein was working closely with Al Qaeda.
– 31% believe that Iraq gave substantial support to Al Qaeda but was not involved with the September attacks while an additional 15% believe that Iraq was directly involved in carrying out the September 11 attacks.
– 26% believe that Iraq had WMDs just before the Iraq War.
– 16% believe that WMDs were found in Iraq

A majority of Americans were unable to pick Saudi Arabia in a multiple-choice question about the country where most of the 9/11 hijackers were born, and a full 20 percent thought that most of the 9/11 hijackers came from Iraq. Going back even further, in August 2003, a Washington Post poll found that 69% of Americans believed that Saddam Hussein was personally involved in the September 11 attack.

Yet we have this problem:

It's the news people that do this, not the scientists.

Do you think typical magazine writers have any more time or knowledge than this?

Things get screwed up because of journalists wanting to sell a story that people want to read, and they dumb it down and add flavorings to make it more palatable which induces unnecessary bias and causes value to be lost. This is exactly where the problem you described earlier comes from.

I have no dou this is part of it. But part of dumbing it down consists of removing all raw data that allowed the researchers to come to their theorys or conclusions. If they were to leave that in it would be over the heads of most to include scientists not in that particular field. Therefore most rely on the reputation of the reporting scientists to determine if what has been stated bears any weight in the real world. This can be good and bad as in the case of Tyson and Nye. Both well known scientists in the world who have made a rep for themselves and botb who support the man made global warming theory. But of course both are not actual climate scientists.

this reminds me of a line in the charlie kaufman movie "anomalisa". the lead character says something along the lines of "it's easier to control a nation of poor people and soldiers". keep people uneducated and teach them to hate intellectuals and you have the recipe for a flaccid population that you can puppet around.

i just read about the reagan-era economic philosophy of "starving the beast". long story short, you drain money from public institutions like public schools, the dmv, public transportation, health care, etc.
when the service starts to lack, people will start hating those institutions. then politicians can say "see? we told you that they sucked!" and justify more defunding of the programs. eventually they can just privatize everything and hurt people without them caring.

Uh huh. What you read was clearly liberal propaganda. Which is fine. Just dont limit yourself to only one side of the story.

Uh huh. What you read was clearly liberal propaganda. Which is fine. Just dont limit yourself to only one side of the story.

i am not a poor victim of propaganda. i'm a thinking person that has an informed opinion on the issue.

i am not a poor victim of propaganda. i'm a thinking person that has an informed opinion on the issue.

Ok. So you are saying you have pursued more than the bias information you stated in your post. Got it.

Ok. So you are saying you have pursued more than the bias information you stated in your post. Got it.

yes, i have heard the rhetoric from both sides. all of it is bullshit. the simple fact is that if you starve any business or institution, the service will start to decline in quality. people will get upset, and it will hurt the company/institution. that's what's been happening since the 1980s.
it's a fact.
that's why you see holes in peoples educations. that's why you see fewer people specializing themselves. that's why you see the decline of the american middle class. that's why your infrastructure is crumbling.
your economy will only get worse if you don't make it easier and more beneficial to take an education. it pays off both in life quality and economically during a persons lifetime.

I have no dou this is part of it. But part of dumbing it down consists of removing all raw data that allowed the researchers to come to their theorys or conclusions. If they were to leave that in it would be over the heads of most to include scientists not in that particular field. Therefore most rely on the reputation of the reporting scientists to determine if what has been stated bears any weight in the real world. This can be good and bad as in the case of Tyson and Nye. Both well known scientists in the world who have made a rep for themselves and botb who support the man made global warming theory. But of course both are not actual climate scientists.

What people don't want to read or can't read is not their fault.

It's ok to put things in simple terms but that can only go so far before it is too simple to be correct. Also they should publish the data anyway for people who do want to read it. It's not like they're forcing it down people's throats.

It won't kill people to see things that they possibly don't understand so I don't see the point of holding stuff back. If they could say things more simply I am sure they would, because it isn't like scientists complicate things for fun. It's for necessity.

Edit:
And seriously, the way science media works is like adults still talking baby talk to people over the age of five. It's patronizing and people don't even realize it.

Last edited:
Yes and the other thing about "starving the beast" is not all parts of beast get starved equally. So the stuff the wing establishment likes: the military and corporate bailouts/subsidies -- that spending never gets touched. It only the stuff that the lower/middle class care about like social programs or subsidizing higher education that are always on the chopping block, its always those "entitlements" that are bankrupting us and we are told we can't afford, and yet there's always plenty of money around for the other stuff

Yes and the other thing about "starving the beast" is not all parts of beast get starved equally. So the stuff the wing establishment likes: the military and corporate bailouts/subsidies -- that spending never gets touched. It only the stuff that the lower/middle class care about like social programs or subsidizing higher education that are always on the chopping block, its always those "entitlements" that are bankrupting us and we are told we can't afford, and yet there's always plenty of money around for the other stuff

exactly. conveniently lower-income families are the people that are least likely to vote in an election anyways, so who cares about them, right?

blame.jpg

It is impossible for people to be without bias and such bias always leads to the filtering of data and information which can skew ones views and lead them to coming to the same options as the teacher. This concept has been proven through hoaxes such as this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax. Furthermore, bias is known to prevent us from being able to accept certain interpretations of data as 'acceptable truth'.

It is unavoidable. While scientists are a group of individuals who are most likely to be objective, they cannot escape their humanity. It is unfortunate that it is easier to see others bias than it is our own. It is easier for right to see the bias of the academia than it is to see their own.

Well, I agree with you on the bias part. I don't really see how the dihydrogen monoxide hoax reinforces that notion though. That actually plays to the topic of this thread by illustrating how scientifically illiterate people tend to be and it may also reinforce the notion that if people were better educated they might consequently lean more left rather than the notion that academia causes people to politically lean left as I stated earlier by referring to your argument as post hoc ergo propter hoc reasoning.

I think a more illustrative point that you might have wanted to make would be to refer to the Sokal hoax. This also illustrates divisions within academia between the hard sciences and the liberal arts. To generalize such issues to the whole of academia and science in general is fairly disingenuous though.

As I just said though, I agree with your stance towards human bias. I find it strangely ironic that you don't consistently apply it towards the news as you apparently do to science/academia. The purpose of news is to sell the news. They are a business. In a perfect world, perhaps you'd be right, but that's not how it is.

You seem to have forgotten the influence of sensationalism and yellow journalism. One of the greatest films ever made, Citizen Kane by Orson Welles, made reference to the life and times of the newspaper magnate, William Randolph Hearst, and how he used his influence for his own personal gain. If you've seen it (and possibly missed it), Kane utters his iconic phrase "Rosebud" as he lay dying....alone. Nobody heard him say it and so nobody could know he said it as he died.

Similarly, the historical event that led to Orson Welles becoming infamous and garnering him absolute control over making the film was the 1938 broadcast of The War of the Worlds that supposedly led to mass hysteria....as reported in the news. Unfortunately, public records such as police reports and hospital emergency records don't exactly corroborate such a hysteria.

I think a more fair assessment is that the newspaper industry felt threatened by radio usurping its role as the broadcasting medium of choice and tried to discredit it, yet for an entertainer such as Orson Welles this only helped him gain notoriety and he himself played into it (this is why he has sometimes said that Citizen Kane is as much about him as it is about Hearst.)

Journalism today (and all printed mediums) are in dire straights given the rise of the internet as the broadcasting forum of choice. They exaggerate and sensationalize the news to gain viewers as does the news on the internet in the form of 'click-bait' headlines and articles.

This isn't anything new though:

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”
― Mark Twain

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
― Napoléon Bonaparte

“The best fiction is far more true than any journalism.”
― William Faulkner

[MENTION=9860]Grayman[/MENTION]

Also, to be clear, I consider myself a left-leaning moderate. I hold some conservative values myself. I lean left because I feel society would be more balanced if it were better educated. If it were to lean even further left, then I would consequently be a right-leaning moderate.

I understand and agree with some of the distaste for the far-left hyperbole. I dislike it when it causes both right and left to abandon the middle ground and exaggerate their claims as if the truth were to be treated as some sort of deceitful and greedy act of negotiation, but that sort of aggression is profitable. Just look at how well Obama and Clinton are at selling guns: http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...d-topple-obama-s-record-for-revving-gun-sales

This makes both sides of the argument just look like utter fools who don't really understand what's going on.

I posted this elsewhere and got into a big hoopla over nothing about it.
Take from the quote what you will, I really don’t feel like debating if you personally like it or not...if you don’t, don’t thumb it or give a fuck...I happen to think that it applies to the dynamic of American society right now.

"Three plagues, three contagions, threaten the world.

The first is the plague of nationalism

The second is the plague of racism

The third is the plague of religious fundamentalism.

All three share one trait, a common denominator – an aggressive, all-powerful, total irrationality.
Anyone stricken with one of these plagues is beyond reason.

In his head burns a sacred pyre that awaits only his sacrificial victims.
Every attempt at calm conversation will fail.

He doesn’t want a conversation, but a declaration that you agree with him, admit he is right, join the cause.
Otherwise, you have no significance in his eyes, you do not exist, for you count only if you are a tool, an instrument, a weapon.

There are no people there is only the cause.
A mind touched by such a contagion is a closed mind, one-dimensional, monothematic, spinning round one subject only – its enemy.

Thinking about our enemy sustains us, allows us to exist.
That is why the enemy is always present, is always with us."

~ Imperium by Ryszard Kapuscinski (1932-2007)

I find that anti-intellectualism is more of a human universal that occurs regularly throughout history rather than a rare occurrence. Let's not forget that Socrates was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death for corrupting the youth of Athens and for impiety.

I find that anti-intellectualism is more of a human universal that occurs regularly throughout history rather than a rare occurrence. Let's not forget that Socrates was tried, convicted, and sentenced to death for corrupting the youth of Athens and for impiety.

Impiety towards the gods. I remember. Great point. I love Plato's Apology/Apologia/the defense of Socrates. Were those Athenians really more enlightened than our modern day Congress? Maybe not. Perhaps we should be focusing on the occurrence of intellectualism in America and around the world, as that seems to be the exception with ignorance being the rule.

Reactions: PintoBean