Anhedonia | INFJ Forum

Anhedonia

Sylar

Feb 28, 2009
MBTI
ENTJ
I'll begin by defining, via wikipedia.org.

"In psychology, Anhedonia is an inability to experience pleasure from normally pleasurable life events such as eating, exercise, and social or sexual interaction."

"Researchers theorize that anhedonia may result from the breakdown in the brain's reward system, involving dopamine pathways. Two 2005 studies by Paul Keedwell MD of King's College found that certain sections of the brain in depressed subjects had to work harder to process happy thoughts."

I'm sure a few of you here on INFJ Forum have heard of this disorder before, maybe even experienced it (or at least researched it to an extent). How I developed it is a different post entirely, but I'm positive that this is the condition best suited to my "hollow" feel. Yes I've considered Dysthymia, but I still believe that Anhedonia is the best way to describe it.

I guess I'll just ask for anything pertaining to Anhedoina, e.g. Anectodes, facts, reverse methods, etc. Anybody?

I would think that if someone were to have this, they would be severely depressed as well. You would only experience downs.

how long did you have this for?
If its just been a while only it could be just the usual "down" that people usually feel once in a while. But if not I think it would be better to check with a clinical psychologist. Just to stay on the safe side.

Anything that ever made me actually feel "happy" just doesn't do it for me anymore. All I've got left is anger (more than the average person, no doubt). Whenever someone tells a joke I laugh, but I don't actually experience that feeling that it's actually funny; it's a bit strange in that sense. I'll know when something should make me happy, and I'll improve my mood a bit, but realistically I feel the same as I did. In a nutshell, winning the lottery would feel like just another day; I'd know that it was a good thing, maybe even improve my mood, but physically I don't feel like I've won anything. It's more than sadness; it's nothing, as in maybe .5%.

I agree with grey wolf since you say...

Anything that ever made me actually feel "happy" just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Therefore it is something that has arisen and has not always been part of you, right? It would make me think that there is a specific event in your life that has brought you to this point. If this is the case, you would probably have to directly deal with those emotions, preferably with the help of a counselor.

Also, you haven't posted your age anywhere. It's kind of hard to give an opinion without knowing what developmental stage your at.

that sucks sylar :( i have experienced this a few times in my life, leading up to a period of depression. i now view it as a warning sign, when i start to feel like that i make sure to look after myself. i stay away from alcohol, which can be really difficult at that time because i'm usually so desperate for some kind of internal reaction. reiki also really helps me, or a holistic massage of some kind. also diet and exercise, make sure you are getting all of your vitamins etc. and give your body the best chance. patience then plays a big part and watch your internal conversations, go easy on yourself. i think that just the fact that i look on it as a warning system gives it some merit on it's own so i don't view it as entirely negative, it's like my brian is trying to protect me but can only do so for so long. it really is awful to feel like an empty shell but is somewhat better than the utter despair of a depressive episode. it may be different for you but it helps me to get through. i really hope you start to feel somewhat better soon, best of luck with it :)

In my experience with depression, anhedonia is almost always a component, perhaps the worst part of it. I feel so trapped by it; I can't "think my way out of it," cannot force myself to feel pleasure in anything. At its worst, everything seems covered by a gray film, so that even colors are dimmed. While it lasts, it's like an iron wall against which I can bang my head to no effect; it can't be forced. It lifts, eventually, of its own accord, or so it seems to me.

I haven't experienced it to that degree since taking a dopamine agonist, usually prescribed for people with Parkinson's but which has been found to be effective against bipolar depression.

I have experienced Anhedonia many times in my life (I have Dysthymia).

It sucks, really bad. The way to reverse it is to make your body release endorphins because endorphins allow for dopamine to work (and you to enjoy and do things).

How often do you exercise or get physical activity? Dragon's post strongly suggests that would help, assuming you're not currently physically active.

How often do you exercise or get physical activity? Dragon's post strongly suggests that would help, assuming you're not currently physically active.

Yes, moderate to hard physical exercise is one of the best things you can do to make yourself feel better.

Yes, moderate to hard physical exercise is one of the best things you can do to make yourself feel better.

As an able-bodied person, I ran four miles every morning followed by 100 sit-ups and 100 push-ups. This helped more than anything else with my mood swings before I was finally diagnosed and began treatment. Even after dx and treatment I continued my exercise routine and I believe it enhanced the effects of the medication.