An interesting moment in history | INFJ Forum

An interesting moment in history

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
Has anyone considered what a spectacular moment in history this is for America? We are engaged in two wars, are about to elect the first black president (or god help us the first women VP), and we are in the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. It is certainly an interesting time to be alive.

And soon they'll be stationing US Troops on active duty inside the nation for the first time since the civil war...

That's not to mention, you're young enough to witness the Rise of Emperor Shai Gar from Box Seats

I'm in Canada and things are going downhill here too, although what's happening in the States just seems bizzare, the elections making it all seem quite theatrical and surreal. I live in the oil, gas and ranching part of the nation and guess what two things most of us here can't afford anymore? Beef and gas. And none of us understand why that is.
It's no longer an American crisis, it's a global crisis by the looks of things. We have royally screwed things up.
Still I'm amazed at the number of people who aren't taking it very seriously.

Are you using words like "spectacular" and "interesting" to feel better about the situation?

I'm ashamed of this country I must call home. I'm looking at my mail in ballot right now and I feel so weak and insignificant. I'm even somewhat involved in politics and I still feel like I don't matter. I can't imagine what less fortunate people feel.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Are you using words like "spectacular" and "interesting" to feel better about the situation?

I'm ashamed of this country I must call home.

I've got to agree with Wyote on this. I'd describe my feelings in recent weeks and those I expect to have over the next few more along the lines of "disbelief" "dread" "disgust" and "fear".

Though I'm certainly cognizant of the incredible evolutionary leap in having the majority of our nation elect a black president (and I'll feel a LOT better about my nation if we can make that leap) though I'll just feel like jumping off a bridge if we elect this first female VP. I just wish that milestone weren't so overlaid with uncertainty and the threat of violence.

When you think about history, what typically comes to mind? Wars? Notable leaders? Periods of human suffering and prejudice? We have all of that right now! This is our generation's World War II! This is the political and economic crisis of the century! It's exciting because we are living through history, and what we choose to do now, no matter how small or insignificant, will be scrutinized by future generations.

I'm ashamed of this country I must call home. I'm looking at my mail in ballot right now and I feel so weak and insignificant. I'm even somewhat involved in politics and I still feel like I don't matter. I can't imagine what less fortunate people feel.

As Gandhi would say, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Every individual's actions may seem insignificant, but their accumulated effect will change the world. And it doesn't even take a lot of individuals to bring about change. Fewer than 1% of the people alive during the 60's in America, took part in the civil rights movement! A very few people changed the majority of life for America simply because they were united in a cause, and demanded that people change or kill them! What we lack right now isn't power, it's organization! And who knows how to organize people better than NFJs! This is our time!

I've got to agree with Wyote on this. I'd describe my feelings in recent weeks and those I expect to have over the next few more along the lines of "disbelief" "dread" "disgust" and "fear".

Turn those feelings into action! And if you can't find a way to do it, then make a way to do it!

Inspiring thoughts Satya, I'm glad your words came from a genuine place and not the inner cynic. I need to get myself back in a similar mindset. That's partly why I joined this forum, actually.

Last edited:

Good or bad, it is still spectacular in that it is a significant spectacle. And what is more interesting than terrible news?

I see the Democrats gaining total control, with a possibly invincible majority in the Senate and a liberal president. They shouldn't have any trouble with passing whatever bills they want to pass. Therefore, if the Democrats are really competent to fix things, they should be able to make the changes they want to make faster than the Republicans ever could have in the past eight years.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think the new administration will be a good one. It is quite likely that Obama and co. will be disastrous. But we've been steeped in the appearance of Republican dominance for long enough now, and it's about time to see what the other side of the aisle has to offer. If the Dems come through, we all win. If they fail, I still win, because then perhaps people will see what not to do, and they might do better the next time.

But what am I talking about? They're never going to listen to Ron Paul; they'll just vote for more Republicans, who will continue down their mirthful path to being entombed in their own pork barrels. It's feast or famine, and only 5% or so of the population has found the happy medium.

I think Ron Paul would have been the best choice. The trouble with running for President is that you have to millions and millions of dollars of your own or millions and millions of dollars backing you. Money is such a big part of it. They say America is the only place where anyone can become President but I don't think that's true. You need a lot of $$$ to get in. The deal making behind the scenes must be incredible by now.

My dream election would have been Ron Paul vs. Dennis Kucinich. Of course, I think I would have been rooting for Kucinich, because unlike Paul, he spoke out against Bush and tried to get him impeached. But either one would have been extraordinarily better than we have now. Nonetheless, I will support Obama because I geninunely believe that the Dems can fix this mess, and if not, then it may be the end of both parties. To be honest, I think this election may spell the end for the GOP whether they win or lose.

To be honest, I think this election may spell the end for the GOP whether they win or lose.

I doubt that. The balance is always swinging one way or the other, but there will never be unanimity in the population, and people will always seek one extreme or the other to identify with. Both parties have changed their policies with the times, and they will continue to do so.

I doubt that. The balance is always swinging one way or the other, but there will never be unanimity in the population, and people will always seek one extreme or the other to identify with. Both parties have changed their policies with the times, and they will continue to do so.

Ah, but parties have come and gone as well. Don't take American history for granted. Once a great chasm forms within a party, it is destined to split. And you cannot deny that the religious right as opposed to the traditional conservatives represent such a split. It is only a matter of time before the GOP comes apart at the seams. Of course, if it were to evolve, it would become the NeoCon party, which would mean the pro evangelistic/corporate party. The traditional conservatives would then be forced into being libertarians in order to not become subservient to the political whims of two autocratic bureaucracies (churches and corporations). Whichever way you wish to view it, the GOP's days are numbered.

Last edited:
Ah, but parties have come and gone as well. Don't take American history for granted. Once a great chasm forms within a party, it is destined to split. And you cannot deny that the religious right as opposed to the traditional conservatives represent such a split. It is only a matter of time before the GOP comes apart at the seams. Of course, if it were to evolve, it would become the NeoCon party, which would mean the pro evangelistic/corporate party. The traditional conservatives would then be forced into being libertarians in order to not become subservient to the political whims of two autocratic bureaucracies (churches and corporations). Whichever way you wish to view it, the GOP's days are numbered.

But now you are talking about long-term history, whereas earlier you said "this election." In the next century, I agree that the GOP will collapse. (Actually I think the party called the GOP will remain indefinitely, but the religious right will probably form its own spinoff that will rival the original in influence.) The Democratic Party's days are numbered as well, however. The GOP's current position is bad, but that is only temporary politics, and by 2016 we might have the same situation in reverse. Neither of these is on the brink of collapse within the next decade, provided there are no unforeseen outside influences (a devastating nuclear war, for example).

But now you are talking about long-term history, whereas earlier you said "this election." In the next century, I agree that the GOP will collapse. (Actually I think the party called the GOP will remain indefinitely, but the religious right will probably form its own spinoff that will rival the original in influence.) The Democratic Party's days are numbered as well, however. The GOP's current position is bad, but that is only temporary politics, and by 2016 we might have the same situation in reverse. Neither of these is on the brink of collapse within the next decade, provided there are no unforeseen outside influences (a devastating nuclear war, for example).

Ah, I guess this is where we will have to agree to disagree. Only time will tell the tale. My hunch is that the GOP will be seriously weakened after this election, and by 2016 it will no longer exist or be in a form that no longer upholds the principles of the old GOP. The Dems will also fall, but not until after the GOP is gone.

As short lived as they were, I still miss those few days when I thought Ron Paul was going to pull ahead.

How foolish I was to have any kind of faith in America's intellect.

HEY!
The republicans made changes... They crashed the economy.

The problems with the economy go much deeper than the political parties. Both parties have been screwing up the economy more or less continually.

Not really. When the Democrats are in office the USD rises. When the Republicans are in office the USD falls.