An INFP or a Depressed INFJ? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

An INFP or a Depressed INFJ?

I don't know if double posting is allowed, but I just want to bump this post hoping for other people to see it and might give opinions.

When it comes to figuring out your personality type, other people can only help you along; You know you best.
Depression makes personality typing pretty difficult. It makes sense in my mind that a depressed INFJ would be less organized and such (display less J tendencies) and come across more INFP- like, but that doesn't mean that is what's going on and there is more to it than that.

Check out these links: http://www.personalityhacker.com/infp-vs-infj/

http://www.celebritytypes.com/test/infj-or-infp.php

It's possible that your J and P functions are just so close that you won't be able to put yourself into one exact type. INFx seems like an appropriate way for you to express your personality type (at least for the time being).

When it comes to figuring out your personality type, other people can only help you along; You know you best.
Depression makes personality typing pretty difficult. It makes sense in my mind that a depressed INFJ would be less organized and such (display less J tendencies) and come across more INFP- like, but that doesn't mean that is what's going on and there is more to it than that.

Check out these links: http://www.personalityhacker.com/infp-vs-infj/

http://www.celebritytypes.com/test/infj-or-infp.php

It's possible that your J and P functions are just so close that you won't be able to put yourself into one exact type. INFx seems like an appropriate way for you to express your personality type (at least for the time being).

Hmm.. Well I guess for the time being I'll just label myself as an NF. I hope when school starts again I'll feel like myself again. It is usually school where I feel like I'm functioning as the real me. Being stuck in the house and working in a factory during summer break is stressing me more. Considering I can't even reach out to any friends in person haha.

Well I tried that celebritytype INFJ or INFP test before and I got this
Screenshot_2015-08-11-16-12-44.jpg

And just to add, I also took the Cognitive Functions test and got this as the result
Screenshot_2015-08-22-21-22-37.jpg

Well then, for tte mean time I'll consider myself as an INFP. Because I seem to be one. But I'm still hoping for other opinions that might help me figure out my type because I still am confused. It's just most of what I seem to be right now is more INFP-ish.

But my questioning will still continue.

[MENTION=14069]wingedfriend[/MENTION] I read your posts again and am now doubting myself. Agh, I know this must be frustrating for you! While I stew and re-reevaluate my opinions, maybe this will help? INFJs and INFPs have different interaction styles, so it might be helpful to read on that and see which side of spectrum you fall on.

Directing vs. Informing: http://infjorinfp.com/docs/PreferredCommunicationStyle.htm

I don't know does this video help you at all... But it was funny, bit of parody, though. LOL :)

INFP is at 13:37 and INFJ is at 15:22.

[video=youtube;zNK-0E81uBc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNK-0E81uBc[/video]

I don't know does this video help you at all... But it was funny, bit of parody, though. LOL :)

INFP is at 13:37 and INFJ is at 15:22.

Lol, this is really funny! I can kind of identify with the INFJ impersonation, though it's pretty generalized and so not really accurate; what about you and the INFP one?

Lol, this is really funny! I can kind of identify with the INFJ impersonation, though it's pretty generalized and so not really accurate; what about you and the INFP one?

Haha, yeah. It's very generalized. I am kind of scatterbrained in that way... Always inside my head and not ''really here'' or in this moment. My mind is wandering everywhere. Though, it was just a parody not everyone is same even when being the same type. :p

Haha, yeah. It's very generalized. I am kind of scatterbrained in that way... Always inside my head and not ''really here'' or in this moment. My mind is wandering everywhere. Though, it was just a parody not everyone is same even when being the same type. :p

So there are bits of truth in these, lol! I think that people who are the same type can act a little differently, too. Types are tricky that way.

Hey there! I think I understand what you're going through. When I get depressed, it feels as if my dominant function has been turned off. For me, the function is Ni, which means I feel happiest when I'm improving my theories and ideas. When I get depressed, my imagination shuts off, leaving only Te in charge. That means it's constantly saying, "Do this, do that. Here is tomorrow's schedule. Finish this to-do list."

So, what I would do is look though the cognitive functions and see what your preferences are when you are depressed vs. normal. When you're feeling good, your go-to function should be your dominant function. When you're depressed, you may see yourself relying on other functions further down the list.

Hope this helps. :)

[MENTION=11100]flower[/MENTION] omg, that was hilarious haha. I think I can identify with the INFJ one. So emotionless for a moment then I just start becoming really expressive.
[MENTION=14051]poetress[/MENTION] I do both styles s but I actually agree more with the directing style. I want to directly say what I want almost in a way that I can get a little impatient. I don't like it when someone doesn't get what I'm trying to tell or suggest them to do.
[MENTION=14099]mirquin[/MENTION] thanks for the reply. Yeah I totally get the part when I'm depressed, my imagination shuts down. When I was depressed all I remember was me being very emotional. The main reason was I couldnt fit in with everyone at school. They tried to tell me I can speak English but I just didn't feel comfortable doing it because everyone else uses Japanese. And the fact that they won't even understand English...lol
I just locked myself inside my room and listened to songs that made me cry because all I wanted was to get my emotions out. I also felt like there was no way out of that situation. It's like all the possibilities were blocked even though I know there still something that might help me. I didn't have the urge to do any homeworks and not even studying Japanese. I just lost interest in doing anything and just laid on the bed most of the time. I also felt like everyone was secretly despising me because I might have become a burden to them. I was paranoid and lost hope to everything.

Fortunately, I'm now in an international school and things seem to be getting better and better. But I still feel depressed and stressed out about failing life for some reason. I want to do a lot of things but don't have the courage to do it. I still am shy. Only a little now. I gained some confidence at least. But I still feel like my brain is frozen or clogged or something. I try to think during our math lessons and my brain is just thinking all over the place lol (messed up Ti?) I used to be a fast learner when I was in elementary, before I got depressed.

About fe, idk I just have this feeling that it is my responsibility to fill up any "hole" that needs to be fixed when it comes to people in general. But I don't feel the same way towards people that I somewhat hate or feel like they are being insincere or they don't do their job well or those I cannot trust. But when I have to help them about something, I just do it. Even tho I don't feel like helping them I just help them. Probably I'm the one not being sincere at that part haha

Last edited:
[MENTION=14069]wingedfriend[/MENTION] I may be jumping the gun here, but if it's emotion you're feeling after your imagination shuts down, then I propose INFJ. Fe is the secondary function in the INFJ personality type, and the fact that you're taking other people into account serves as evidence.

Here's a site I really like concerning the personality types: http://www.personalityhacker.com/infp-vs-infj/
See which one you resonates with you more.

I also went to an international school shortly after school. Not Japan, but China, since I speak both English and Chinese. When I was there, I mostly used Chinese. I also have a friend who came to America for high school but went back to Japan after sophomore year. She just finished her degree at a prestigious college in Tokyo (not Tokyo University, but one of the top five), and is now pursuing her Master's in the US. So, if you're worried about fitting in, don't worry. Things will work out. I promise. And as someone whose dream is to move to Japan, I envy you. I want to take the JLPT (Japan's national proficiency test for foreigners; there's one like that in China too) one day and read as much Yukio Mishima and Natsume Soseki as I want, in the original language. I asked my friends and they said you pretty much have to fluent if you want to read Soseki. So...better get working. :D

[MENTION=14069]wingedfriend[/MENTION] I may be jumping the gun here, but if it's emotion you're feeling after your imagination shuts down, then I propose INFJ. Fe is the secondary function in the INFJ personality type, and the fact that you're taking other people into account serves as evidence.

Here's a site I really like concerning the personality types: http://www.personalityhacker.com/infp-vs-infj/
See which one you resonates with you more.

I also went to an international school shortly after school. Not Japan, but China, since I speak both English and Chinese. When I was there, I mostly used Chinese. I also have a friend who came to America for high school but went back to Japan after sophomore year. She just finished her degree at a prestigious college in Tokyo (not Tokyo University, but one of the top five), and is now pursuing her Master's in the US. So, if you're worried about fitting in, don't worry. Things will work out. I promise. And as someone whose dream is to move to Japan, I envy you. I want to take the JLPT (Japan's national proficiency test for foreigners; there's one like that in China too) one day and read as much Yukio Mishima and Natsume Soseki as I want, in the original language. I asked my friends and they said you pretty much have to fluent if you want to read Soseki. So...better get working. :D

I have heard many people say they envy me because they also wanted to be in Japan. Tbh I wish I could just swap places with them since its them who wanted to be in Japan haha.

About the imagination shut down tho, I was just day dreaming all the time. Not as in dreaming or thinking about the future but I was daydreaming about people being nice to me and just anything that seems to be a "happy moment" well sometimes I do think of sad things too, since I'm sad. But I just couldn't think of a possible solution to my problem aside from leaving the Japanese school and going to an international school. Which is why I'm happier now than before. But yeah I daydream about those stuff at that time. Btw I was daydreaming while listening to music. Music pretty much where I could vent out my emotions. I listen to songs that described what I feel.

And I hope you'll be here in Japan one day. I'm dreaming of going to an American university. Let's both do out best :D

[MENTION=14069]wingedfriend[/MENTION] So just to confirm: directing is the style that comes most naturally for you? That should narrow things down a bit, then.

First of all thanks to everyone who helped me. I really appreciate it and the effort.

I do think that I may actually be a very unhealthy INFJ or INFP or maybe another type that kinda got lost inside. I am an HSP and probably have a BPD. I would say all of these identity issues I have right now is because of my childhood or what I experienced growing up. Unstable family relationship, traumas, strict mother who isolated me and forbid me from playing with other kids and also being really really shy because like I said, my mother always wanted to make sure she can control me. She shouted at me, hurting me physically and emotionally. I have a small hated towards my mother from how she treated me when I was a kid. I was never allowed to do the things I wanted to learn. But she still is my mother and that will never change. I would say I'm emotionally unstable. I felt alone and I also felt like I didn't fit into fit into this world. I can be somewhat self centered most of the time. In a way that since no one cared or showed me that they care for me before I tried to look out after myself. I got blinded by achievements and doing something that would recognize my skill just to make myself feel better, even tho I know it really means nothing and that I am probably just making a fool of myself. I also have the thought that a kind heart is useless to this flawed world. I felt ignored by everyone I care about and also felt somewhat worthless or someone who's presence isn't really necessary. Not to mention I was forced to go to Japan and got depressed (officially diagnosed by the therapist) had to take anti depressants and my mood constantly going up and down that I feel like I'm two people at some point trying to live in one body. But despite all of these bitterness, I can't stand it when someone is being push down to their limits or being hurt by someone else. But even tho I want to help, I don't know how. So I end up feeling really bad like REALLY guilty for not helping them. But I'd say I still have some hatred inside my heart. An unexplainable one. (Maybe partially explained from what I just wrote above.)

My mom told me that I used to be very playful and since our house was full of quarrels (my mom and grand mother) and it was so lonely, every time there's a visitor I would get out of my room immediately with a very excited face. But all of that changed around 5th or 6th grade. I didn't like it when there are people inside the house and all I do is hide in my room.

In conclusion, I would say I have this little hatred towards the world because of what I experienced before. But I thought that I can't change the past and I just need to focus on the future and my goal. (You can check my about me page)

Sorry if I ended up saying this story, I was hoping to clear things up a little bit but it seems like I just used it to vent out something...hehe

i feel so identified with you, i'm not an expert myself but i think you are an depressed infj, mistyped as an infp, just like me.

Reactions: Jexocuha
Have you considered any other types? INFP and INFJ are odd types to be confused between, since they don't share any cognitive functions. Why not INTJ, ISFP, INTP, ISFJ? Maybe you're sure you're F>T, but then there's still ISFP and ISFJ to explore. Maybe understanding why it's INFP and INFJ that you're torn between will reveal more information about your type.

Reactions: Elder and Wyote
@juanaranaga @IndigoQuail

I see you have both joined the forum recently so hail and welcome - it’s good to see you here.

I’m afraid this thread is six years old and most of its contributors, including its initiator, have not been active in the forum for a long time. If you are interested in this topic you could start a new thread.

Why not introduce yourselves to other members as well. There is a place here for new folks to say hello and tell us a little about yourselves.
https://www.infjs.com/forums/introductions.7/