An ideal society | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

An ideal society

What is your vision of an ideal society, or what kind of world do you want to live in?
How would it function? What might make it possible?
What influences your vision of an ideal society?
What changes in our society and civilization do you think need to be brought about?

I'm just passing through, my dear. The older we get, the more we think about what we might be leaving behind us. I pray if there is going to be big trouble, it will be in my time and not yours or your children's, etcetera.
The only question you asked I might possibly care to ponder is the last one.

I feel I would rush through my answer like some online test and a lot of folk would not like "how" I would implement the change, which would surely be your next question. Maybe some day you, or we, may get to see some of those changes I feel needed but would rather not discuss.

Something along the lines of Denmark's ways.

I have some idea..... too lazy to type out though.

I'm just passing through, my dear. The older we get, the more we think about what we might be leaving behind us. I pray if there is going to be big trouble, it will be in my time and not yours or your children's, etcetera.
The only question you asked I might possibly care to ponder is the last one.

I feel I would rush through my answer like some online test and a lot of folk would not like "how" I would implement the change, which would surely be your next question. Maybe some day you, or we, may get to see some of those changes I feel needed but would rather not discuss.
This is an imagination exercise, not a political thread. Big trouble in your time and not mine? What time period are you from??? If you feel like you'd rush through your answer, therefore you will not answer-- why mention it?

Basically, I started the thread because I don't agree with almost anything in the way our society is run. I think it is repressive. King of Spades said something that I believe is the primary cause of this when he said:
Our approach to technology would be different -- we would stress research which truly made human lives easier and more leisurely, instead of the current approach, which is geared towards the development of products that will be sold in the market

Are people so defeated that they don't even imagine a better way to live? I can exist contently here and disagree and be outraged because I'm capable of having more than one emotion at a time.

Anyway, the monster idea sounds amazing. I thought of the movie The Mist when I read that. How about instead of monsters.. zombies? Zombie movies are a sort of social commentary. Why not make it literal? ... but maybe not. I don't know if I could even bring myself to harm a zombie..

Last edited:
It would be a gigantic canyon where the rules would be 'everyman for themself'. Along the canyon there would be huge axes, spears, and swords which are continuously sharpened by anime angels. There would be various war beasts to ride into the fray and when/ if you died you would be regenerated in graveyards around the battlefield. Women would ride eagles over the battlefield dropping the burning armor of fallen warriors on top of thier opponents.

So in essence it would be similar to the best World of Warcraft Battleground ever made.

It would be a gigantic canyon where the rules would be 'everyman for themself'. Along the canyon there would be huge axes, spears, and swords which are continuously sharpened by anime angels. There would be various war beasts to ride into the fray and when/ if you died you would be regenerated in graveyards around the battlefield. Women would ride eagles over the battlefield dropping the burning armor of fallen warriors on top of thier opponents.

So in essence it would be similar to the best World of Warcraft Battleground ever made.

This is exactly the type of response I'm looking for.

Reactions: Wyote
The only way the change I see needed will ever happen would cost blood and lots of it. You gave the nudge I was looking for, though I really hate talking war. Men in power or men of war want to see trouble only in their days, not in those that have yet to live their life out yet. They feel like the Sgt. in Black Hawk Down that was told he didn't have to go back in there again. They want to do what they were trained or know how to do so those that follow behind them will not have to do it. Be back in a flash...

The only way the change I see needed will ever happen would cost blood and lots of it. You gave the nudge I was looking for, though I really hate talking war. Men in power or men of war want to see trouble only in their days, not in those that have yet to live their life out yet. They feel like the Sgt. in Black Hawk Down that was told he didn't have to go back in there again. They want to do what they were trained or know how to do so those that follow behind them will not have to do it. Be back in a flash...

It COULD cost blood. But what if it didn't? We could think outside the box. What if there were another way besides war and violent overthrow, and it was peaceful and built upon consensus? I talked about it in my posts on the thread "What Authority Is Justified?" So maybe this thread bleeds into that one a bit..

I abhorr violence and oppression, all forms of it. When I was a teenager I was obsessed with the notion of revolution and not disturbed by the violence of it.

Having grown up quite a bit since then, I truly feel that a revolution that requires violence is not worth it, and that in that case, I'd rather make do with the way things are established.

Last edited:
"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."

- Thomas Paine.

On Septe, the United States was suddenly and deliberatly attacked by Islamic radicals seeking to murder and maim American citizens in their quest to establish a world-wide caliphate. As we well know, the subsequent response by the United States were the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq - two of the most brutal and oppressive countries in the Near East. Undue controversy surroud these actions - people seeking to undermine America's defenses in a turbulent and troubled world.

Many persons refuse to recognize the threat and the enemy, refuse to acknowledge that America was attacked not because of her strength, but because of a perception of weakness, that America was attacked not because of her power, but because of her values. These same people skirt the issue at hand - the survival of not only our nation and people, but of our values and our future.

Politicians and common citizens alike cry out, giving verbal aid to the enemy, that war will not bring success, that will shall surely lose, and that any military action will only make things worst. These people have no interests in mind but their own - they do not value our Freedom and our future, and they do not wish war now so that our children may live in peace tomorrow. John Stuart Mill rightly said war is "not the ugliest of things", that "the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."

I ask, if the enemy is real, the threat real, the deaths real, and the war real, why do many skirt the responsibility to support their country in its time of crisis? Why delay the inevitable so that future generations will suffer - should we not take it upon ourselves to secure the safety, values, and Freedom of the future for our children? Is that not worth fighting for - Is that not worth dying for?

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Thomas Paine

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace--but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry

You mean to include just the quote at the top or the entire post you cited it from in your link?? Because the post itself you referrenced could be relevent to this topic as well.

Who said we have to talk about war? That.. wasn't really my intention here in the first place... sigh.

Last edited:
It COULD cost blood. But what if it didn't? We could think outside the box.

It seems we are but in the way of those that wish to kill us.
They will not go away unanswered. Maybe we could all step outside the box for a moment and let me have the box but for a time or so. Maybe then we could live at peace with no more violence.

I should be ashamed. Please forgive my experience. One of the problems with dealing with the problems of this world is the naivity of the multitudes and their inability to prepare for the inevitable. That would be one thing I would change immediately. Naive people place others in positions of power. They vote. I am truly sorry and ask that you start possibly a new thread and I will abstain. You asked. I am truly sorry I did not answer the way you wanted me to. Reality sometimes has a way of spilling our coffee into our own laps, and mine has been spilled.

Right at the outset I just want to say that because you have given the longest and most thought out answer, I want to play devils advocate. You don't have to play along if you don't wish. I thought most of it had a good thought process behind it and am just looking to clairify/qeustion a few things. No offense intended here =).

My ideal society would be a society which valued education in all its aspects (psychological and spiritual, as well as technical and political).

So, we would be raised and trained to see life as a huge learning ground where we progress through its challenges to become more cultivated and grounded.

Why the emphasis on learning? What is the goal of learning everything? To eliminate suffering perhaps?

Work would not be geared towards the cultivation of wealth and money, but would allow us to explore our interests while also allowing us to contribute our talents for the greater good.

I don't think this would mean some type of government regulated economy; it just means we, individually, would have a different relationship to money -- seeing it more as a means than as an end.
What is the greater good in this scenario?A means to what? I am assuming that it is to contribute to the greater good?

Love, respect, and compassion would be more valued because everyone faces challenges in life, and the best way to overcome challenges are through those three things.

I agree.
So our approach to crime would be different -- we would treat the motivations for why people turn to crime instead of locking people up in jails. We would measure the health of our society by the people in its prisons -- the more prisoners, the more society is failing. (by this metric we are currently a very failed society)

Our approach to technology would be different -- we would stress research which truly made human lives easier and more leisurely, instead of the current approach, which is geared towards the development of products that will be sold in the market (consumer gadgets, weapons, etc.), or else geared to science for science sake (cloning, unregulated bio-technologies)

Not that I am a warmonger or anything, but is making everyones life easy and leisurely really in everyones best interests? People grow through resistance after all, not from laying on the couch.

We would value our time more because we would see life as a journey that one day would have to end; so we would treat Death as a teacher, and not something to be feared.

nice.
Because we would cherish learning and life experience, we would start to combat fear in all its aspects.

We would really value liberty and freedom, because we would see those things as necessary components of education. Freedom means the freedom to make mistakes, the freedom to get hurt, the freedom to make a bad decision, the freedom to be rash and unsensible even -- you can never grow and learn if you always stay perfect. So, we would honor mistakes as well.

The freedom to make grievous mistakes that result in people dieing?

In terms of getting to such a society - well, I guess that would require some consciousness raising. I am ready for such a place, but it's not a place only one person can want. I think there would have to come a point where a lot of people awakened to how harmful and toxic our current society is and wanted to make a real and lasting change.

I am all for people becoming aware. I agree especially with the part I bolded.

I should be ashamed. Please forgive my experience. One of the problems with dealing with the problems of this world is the naivity of the multitudes and their inability to prepare for the inevitable. That would be one thing I would change immediately. Naive people place others in positions of power. They vote. I am truly sorry and ask that you start possibly a new thread and I will abstain. You asked. I am truly sorry I did not answer the way you wanted me to. Reality sometimes has a way of spilling our coffee into our own laps, and mine has been spilled.

I see. Well, I'm being a jerk for expecting people should answer a certain way. That's my problem, not yours. You just made me realize it.

I am sure you have way more life experience than I and have seen things I have not. Maybe I'm being a fool.

It is impolite to call someone a fool, and that includes yourself! You are not a fool! You are not being a jerk. In my world, you would understand I mean you only happiness and feel great sorrow for having said what I did. Please forgive me. I want you as a friend. Please understand that. Reality is like unto thin ice; maybe we should know when it is best to turn back. I should have not stepped onto the ice. Please forgive me.
"Skating away on the thin ice of a new day." Jethro Tull

Right at the outset I just want to say that because you have given the longest and most thought out answer, I want to play devils advocate. You don't have to play along if you don't wish. I thought most of it had a good thought process behind it and am just looking to clairify/qeustion a few things. No offense intended here =).

Sure :) No offense taken, and never taken really. When I get into discussions I also hope no one gets offended by me either. This is a lot more interesting to me than what I should be doing now anyway (sadly, working :( :( )

Why the emphasis on learning? What is the goal of learning everything? To eliminate suffering perhaps?

That's a fair question. I guess my basic assumption is that we are here on this Earth to learn and better ourselves. That's the value that guides me. People have different values, I suppose.

Why do I assume that? Because our minds seem so equipped for learning. A child learns naturally, it always wants to learn. We get older, and we learn more about life, about other people, about the world. It just seems very hard-wired. So, I think we are all here on planet Earth to learn. Like I said, this is my assumption, I have no evidence for this other than what I just wrote.

What is the greater good in this scenario?A means to what? I am assuming that it is to contribute to the greater good?

The greater good -- hm..I don't think there is any greater good than just treating everyone as a human being. We are all ends, not means...like Kant (I think??) said. The worst thing you can do to someone else is to treat them as a means, because then you dehumanize them. You make them less than human, they become some tool for you. That is really a great sin in my eyes (of which I still do all too often).

Learning is so important because it allows each of us, individually, to expand our minds at our own individual levels. We learn the lessons we need to. I don't mean, "learning everything" as in learning all knowledge. You can't learn all knowledge, even the Internet today, as vast as it is, doesn't contain all knowledge. We should be learning wisdom. Wisdom is different than knowledge, and we are all learning our own wisdom at our own time at our own level.

Not that I am a warmonger or anything, but is making everyones life easy and leisurely really in everyones best interests? People grow through resistance after all, not from laying on the couch.

I agree -- but life will do that for us. Life is a challenge. Today, this is what we try and do. We equate leisure with sitting on the couch and growing fat. I certainly don't mean leisure in that sense! Only a very tiny percentage of people today get to have this leisure. Billions of people today live in poverty and toil in sub-human conditions. In the US today we are 5% of the population but use 25% of all resources! that is the price we must pay if we want to build our lives around the TV and the couch. And we have to build a global empire to keep the oil running so that we can have big flat screen TVs. so this leisure has really destroyed us, destroyed our humanity, because we don't care about anything other than this sensory stimulation. how many millions of people have died as a result of our need for cheap energy? so many...yet we couldn't care less.

So I should take a step back and explain myself a little more. Life is already filled with so many challenges. So many of us today are ill equipped for death, separation, pain and suffering. But we can minimize the pain that we inflict on each other. There's no reason for any of that. Today so much pain and suffering is caused by human violence against others, and for no reason really.

If you watch kids, you know that when they mature through their childhood they begin to take on so many of the thought patterns which they will struggle with throughout their lives. By the time they are 10 they have all the insecurities and fears and anxieties which will cause them trouble for so many decades. That is a great shame, and this is what I mean by the struggle of life. So, we can create the conditions whereby we can cope with these negative influences and live lives of real and powerful freedom. This is what I mean by learning, as well.

The freedom to make grievous mistakes that result in people dieing?

Mistakes are a sign of growth. I don't see how we can prevent mistakes from ever happening -- they are part of the human condition. A mistake means our intention was noble but the result was bad. That is always a hallmark of inexperience. Thus, only experience can cure this. We have to let people make mistakes in order for them to grow. Now, obviously I don't mean we just let people run around aimlessly causing problems. Basic learning means taking responsibility for your actions, learning to use your reason so that you can think about what's the best thing to do in a situation, learning your intuition to feel out an answer (very under taught in my opinion!!), etc. But once you give someone these basic tools, you cannot prevent mistakes. Mistakes are OK. The important thing is just not to make the same mistake twice. That is a much bigger sin than making the first original mistake.

Today, people make mistakes and pay with their lives. In my noble but dying state, if you commit three felonies you go to jail for life! That is not reasonable, but this is what people seem to want. How is that a benefit for anyone? The state pays so many hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for an inmate and their medical care, etc just so that they can rot in prison forever. Why not reform the man and make him productive? No one wants to rot like that. It is a complete lose-lose.

We are in this situation because we are so afraid. We see society is falling apart but we don't want to deal with it. We just want to lock people up, or kill them with capital punishment. Such a bizarre reaction. Yes, sometimes people make horrendous mistakes, mistakes that warp people, that cost lives, that leave so much suffering the world. But why then make the second mistake of punishment? Punishment doesn't do anything. The criminal who is punished will not repent, he will be bitter that he was caught, that's all; and when he is out, he will repeat his offenses over and over. Then the society suffers, more victims suffer, even the criminal suffers as well. This is the worst possible outcome.

It COULD cost blood. But what if it didn't? We could think outside the box. What if there were another way besides war and violent overthrow, and it was peaceful and built upon consensus? I talked about it in my posts on the thread "What Authority Is Justified?" So maybe this thread bleeds into that one a bit..

I abhorr violence and oppression, all forms of it. When I was a teenager I was obsessed with the notion of revolution and not disturbed by the violence of it.

Having grown up quite a bit since then, I truly feel that a revolution that requires violence is not worth it, and that in that case, I'd rather make do with the way things are established.

Wow, never thought I'd live the day to see someone talk about peaceful revolution...peaceful evolution. There has to be another way, right? It is silly when you think about the violence we inflict on each other just in the name of an idea. The ideas are just etheral, they have no substance...but we would take up a gun and kill for it. What is the point? We have so little life on this planet and we waste it plotting the downfall of others.

If we want peace, then we have to use peaceful means, at least I think so....you plant the seeds of the outcome right at the beginning of the endeavor. Even if it takes 1000 years of peaceful progress to get to a perpetual peace, that is much more worth it than 20 years of violence for 20 years of a cease fire (which people would call "peace") and then back to being violent again...

It is impolite to call someone a fool, and that includes yourself! You are not a fool! You are not being a jerk. In my world, you would understand I mean you only happiness and feel great sorrow for having said what I did. Please forgive me. I want you as a friend. Please understand that. Reality is like unto thin ice; maybe we should know when it is best to turn back. I should have not stepped onto the ice. Please forgive me.
"Skating away on the thin ice of a new day." Jethro Tull

Well, I wish you didn't feel sorrow for speaking your mind. That's certainly not intended. And.. I can accept the possibility of being wrong or naieve.. Yep, we should be friends! You have nothing to be forgiven of, from the way I see it.

This topic scares me.

The idea of a perfect Utopian society....I've been playing with it. Different ideas, different types of government....and y'know, it depends. It really depends on who you're governing, how they were governed before, the technology of the times, the population, population density, and size of the state, as well as numerous other factors. There really is no "best" government; just governments that work well, governments that would be nice to have, and governments that are too idealistic. And which is what depends.

Wow, never thought I'd live the day to see someone talk about peaceful revolution...peaceful evolution. There has to be another way, right? It is silly when you think about the violence we inflict on each other just in the name of an ideaThe ideas are just etheral, they have no substance...but we would take up a gun and kill for it. What is the point? We have so little life on this planet and we waste it plotting the downfall of others.
That's an excellent way of putting it! There were others who talked about peaceful revolution. I think of Martin Luther King and Ghandi.

If we want peace, then we have to use peaceful means, at least I think so....you plant the seeds of the outcome right at the beginning of the endeavor. Even if it takes 1000 years of peaceful progress to get to a perpetual peace, that is much more worth it than 20 years of violence for 20 years of a cease fire (which people would call "peace") and then back to being violent again...
You and I have agreed on this in numerous threads. haha!

Last edited: