Amanda Seyfried talks about anxiety disorder | INFJ Forum

Amanda Seyfried talks about anxiety disorder

iHeartCats

Community Member
Jun 7, 2014
MBTI
ESFP
I recently read an interview with Amanda Seyfried in the latest issue of the Elle magazine. She talks about her past and present and admits she's had anxiety disorder since childhood and also suffered from OCD when she was younger.
She said that she still suffered from anxiety disorder. But she handles it well because she is on medication, so she's able to cope with it and live and work like any other person.

How do you feel about celebrities publicly talking about their psychological disorders? I think it's great because it helps to destigmatize psychological disorders and raise awareness about frequency of psychological disorders in general population and about ways and necessity of dealing with them.

Attachments

• Amanda2.jpg
    Amanda2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I heard that she had an anxiety disorder years ago. I know there are a few other celebrities who are a agoraphobic and have faded out of society. I found that it helped me to see Amanda be so successful despite her anxiety because I have had panic disorder since I was a child. I no longer have it though, so that's nice.

It's good when they do because it raises awareness, and makes it easier to feel more normal. There's too much stigma attached to it. People don't realize how difficult it is to be in the spotlight or in a public position with anxiety disorder. It's tough enough to deal with as an educator standing in front of a classroom having to call attention to myself in front of 20-100+ people. I can't imagine how that works when you're a celebrity and you're posing for the camera, and deal with attention from millions of people watching you onscreen. I'm sure medication is required because that's pressure on a whole other level.

Last edited:
I think it's great that people are talking about it.
We need to talk about mental health a lot more, and destigmatize it.

I am on board with everyone who is saying it is a very good thing. Mental illness stigma needs to die. Also, it gives people hope who may feel like they can never be successful because of their disorders and battles. I see nothing but good coming from being open with the public about these things.

Celebrities talking about their disorders?

It's like advertising for the drug companies, right?

I take adderall sometimes (I don't like being on any medication) and it works well in making me good at cleaning. But I feel like nothing is enough. I want to do more and more and there's no satisfaction because stimulation is its opposite.

I have anxiety and the meds for that so don't work. I mean sure you might not feel so anxious. Guess what? Now you feel drowsy instead. It's these extremes. Medication only seems to be good at giving you extreme ends of the spectrum.

Tired? We'll make you hyperalert! Anxious? We'll make you numb to the world! Depressed? We'll make you psychologically unstable and suicidal!

I do agree. Stigma shouldn't exist. But we shouldn't be so dependent on labeling every damn thing as a disorder either ;)

Celebrities talking about their disorders?

It's like advertising for the drug companies, right?

I take adderall sometimes (I don't like being on any medication) and it works well in making me good at cleaning. But I feel like nothing is enough. I want to do more and more and there's no satisfaction because stimulation is its opposite.

I have anxiety and the meds for that so don't work. I mean sure you might not feel so anxious. Guess what? Now you feel drowsy instead. It's these extremes. Medication only seems to be good at giving you extreme ends of the spectrum.

Tired? We'll make you hyperalert! Anxious? We'll make you numb to the world! Depressed? We'll make you psychologically unstable and suicidal!

I do agree. Stigma shouldn't exist. But we shouldn't be so dependent on labeling every damn thing as a disorder either ;)

I think the real problem is not labeling a disorder but being told you have said disorder and so long as you take this pill you'll be fine; this pill will fix everything for you. And when you're a kid that's exactly what you hear. People need to go to therapy and talk about their problems and work to fix them, not take a pill twice daily and see what happens. Pills aren't a cure, they're a dirty bandaid waiting to get infected and turn into a bigger problem. Don't get me wrong, there are people out there that have different brain chemistry that needs to be altered by pills in order for them to not be so x,y or z but the majority hearing that they have such and such disorder really have no disorder at all, just some sever issues that they need help on figuring out how they should deal with.