Altruism in the world religions and modern political ideologies | INFJ Forum

Altruism in the world religions and modern political ideologies

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
Which of the world's religions and modern political ideologies encourage altruism and which seek to discourage it and why? Do any seek to discourage it? Is it possible to profess to believe in a world religion which encourages altruism and yet vote for or support a modern political ideology which discourages it? How does that sort of cognitive dissonance pan out?

Which of the world's religions and modern political ideologies encourage altruism and which seek to discourage it and why? Do any seek to discourage it? Is it possible to profess to believe in a world religion which encourages altruism and yet vote for or support a modern political ideology which discourages it? How does that sort of cognitive dissonance pan out?

Interesting... first, i would ask you how you define altruism. Sometimes people lump a variety of social behaviours into 'altruism'. So how are you defining it?

In my social psychology class they described altruism as a motive to increase another's welfare without a conscious regard for one's self-interest. Many people don't believe that pure altruism can even exist as there is always some sort of benefit to doing good for others.

Is it possible to profess to believe in a world religion which encourages altruism and yet vote for or support a modern political ideology which discourages it?

I would say American Right Wing Christians exemplify this. They sit on their high horses pretending to believe in a doctrine that is all about charity and taking care of the less fortunate while putting down people from lower classes as lazy and not deserving of financial support or a 'boost' up the ladder to a better social position, not to mention the right to life saving treatment.