"Alpha, beta, delta, gamma, omega, sigma" personality archetypes | INFJ Forum

"Alpha, beta, delta, gamma, omega, sigma" personality archetypes

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by Gaze, Jul 14, 2015.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Gaze
  1. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    What do you think of this theory of behavior (usually ascribed to males but could also fit women)? Do you think there's validity to the theory? If so or not, please explain why or why not. Various sites especially forums have people who have written their own versions of each archetype. Many seem to find the descriptions helpful, somewhat accurate, and use the descriptions to find compatible partners when dating and to manage dominant/submissive relationship dynamics. Do you see these descriptions reflected in everyday dating or relationship dynamics? Do you see yourself more as dominant or submissive or a mix of the two? What would you see as the flaw in the theory if you someone adheres to this too rigidly? Which figures in society, pop culture, or media do think are good examples of each type?

Below are three descriptions I found which are similar but also a bit different, showing how the archetypes are being understood differently depending on the person and the reasoning used to rationalize the theory.

http://alphagameplan.blogspot.com/2011/03/socio-sexual-hierarchy.html

[​IMG]
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160378801&page=1

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/a...mma-or-sigma-male-descriptions-itt.250127262/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Gaze, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. Elis

Elis Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFJ
    I think it is silly and a bit demeaning to put people in boxes notated as inherently better or worse. Other than that, I think the concept is a bit short-sighted.

LostInTheForest likes this.
  3. barbad0s

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    POOP
    I hate the way that people behave in large groups, but I agree with what [MENTION=4361]Elis[/MENTION] said about putting people into boxes with a hierarchy like that as being a bit demeaning.

Also. More than one "alpha male" winds up having multiple wives and divorces under his belt then has trouble retaining his respect and the respect of others once he ages. Then all of a sudden he'll leak crazy that's been building up and do something like become obsessed with Scientology. Cough ESFJ guys cough Tom Cruise.

4. Solongo

Solongo Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ all day
    The theory is very valid. All you have to do is survey a party or bar scene or any type of opposite sex interactions; in college campuses, work environments and even online dating sites to verify how accurate it is. It is not about hurting people's feelings since our culture has a very hard time accepting social heirarchy because of the idea that everyone being equal and treated equally. Humans follow the nature hierarchy of survival and survival of the fittest and no amount of social babying is going to get rid of this primal behavior.

Those in denial of this hierarchy is in denial of their own position in the world; man or woman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Solongo

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ all day
    I do think the hierarchy is different for females though. This would be more interesting to explore because females use more passive aggressive behaviors to land a mate or career or position of power and such and I think it extends further than being attractive, sexual or not. What you think [MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION]?

6. hk427f3

hk427f3 Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ugh, this kind of stuff makes me cringe. Such puerile insecurity, almost blatantly homoerotic.

LostInTheForest likes this.
  7. OP
    Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Although I don't like the descriptions because they are a bit one dimensional, I think the theory is sound and reflects reality better than we would like to admit. You're right that the Alpha female would not be the same as the Alpha Male. For example, the Alpha male rules through his and other's belief in his verility, strength, power, control, exceptional physical and mental agility. That's presumed to be natural for the Alpha Male. He, in essence, "demands" recognition to be a true Alpha. He requires that recognition as Alpha. The Alpha Female, is more subversive. I think she rules with a different kind of strength and power. She is not necessarily softer, but her tactics for achieving control and dominance are different. I see her as more of a mastermind, who is effective at using emotional and psychological tactics to achieve recognition. She's more indirect, and less forceful but no less competent or confident as a female Alpha. I think she can wield her power in ways a male alpha can't. A male alpha has to appear dominant to maintain his status and power. A female Alpha, can appear less dominant or assertive but yet wield enormous influence, sometimes in more ways than the Alpha. The Alpha's power is through direct imposition, while the female Alpha's power is indirect and subtle.

Female bosses are good examples of this. I see many female bosses who strive to gain power and influence by behaving as their male counterparts, not realizing they have power that the male does not necessarily wield. They believe that to be seen as equal or powerful, they must take on or mimic qualities of the typical alpha male bosses. However, the Alpha female has her own unique power, that may not be as obvious as the male alpha but it can just as efficient and effective. Unfortunately, as you've already mentioned in your blog, that the feminine is not appreciated as it should, and too often dismissed or disregarded as naturally weak and inadequate. It's an untapped potential, that goes beyond sexuality. Feminine power (not female power) is very easily underestimated. It's just a less visible form of power, but quite potent.

How about you? Does this fit with what you were questioning about Alpha Females?

Solongo likes this.
  8. Solongo

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ all day
    i agree wholeheartedly with how you described feminine power. now the question becomes how do we as females access this power? feminine power is definitely miscontrued and used to create polarity within the female population and culture. the division is very much obviously sexual; since sexual power is after all the power to create life and take life - this power is potent and dangerous at the same time.

every female has access to this type of power and i think the female social hierarchy will be based on the choices a woman makes in using this power or not using it or abusing it or giving it away. i actually don't blame men as the feminists do regarding the use and abuse of the feminine sexuality and power; i think it is lack of teaching and guiding that is so absent within female generations and families. to be led and guided correctly by out mothers, sisters and grandmothers and not by the kardashians and housewives of whatever that tarnishes and degrades the female power.

9. Icedream

Icedream Blue Butterfly

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I was doing research on what MBTI landed where, and it led me back here.

Wyote likes this.
  10. Nixie

Nixie Resurrected

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Haha :m024::m096::yesno;

Icedream likes this.
  11. Icedream

Icedream Blue Butterfly

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Still haven't found what I'm looking for

12. Wyote

Wyote ┄⍹┄
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    What are you looking for?

13. Icedream

Icedream Blue Butterfly

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    the types organized into Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Omega

Wyote likes this.
  14. Wyote

Wyote ┄⍹┄
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    I think any mbti type can be anywhere in social hierarchies, but as far as infjs go you are gonna see a lower rate of alphas