Aiming to do good, but accused of doing wrong

NYLilac

Community Member
May 15, 2011
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
2w1
I design original hand-crafted bead bracelets and have received much positive feedback for my attention to detail and eye for harmonious colors and patterns. I am currently using my skill to raise money for a boy in a neighboring community who needs a special wheelchair-adapted van. 60% of all sales go to this cause; 40% for materials. So far, I have raised a modest amount, but not bad all considered. On New Year's Eve, I plan to present the family with a check for the funds raised thus far. One fellow (not connected to the charity or the family) has said I need to give the money now because people are speculating that I spent it, which is untrue. He said that people deserved to know why I wasn't giving the money this week. I had no idea that I had a boss I was working for. He even suggested I give the cash to a lady we both know and let her deliver it to the family. Uh, does he think I fell off the turnip truck last night? I am not that naive. I am feeling dispirited and ready to give up on charity and helping people if i'm going to be judged like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: invisible
This guy sounds ridiculous.

You don't deal with opportunistic third parties. End of story.

However, I would keep records of sales and I would only make the donation by cheque. Make sure you write what the cheque is for on the cheque itself (ie. donation of profits from handicraft sales, for the sake of ......). Keep a photo/photocopy of the cheque and if possible get some sort of a receipt, stating that x amount was received for x purpose. Assholes will keep trying to make trouble if they don't succeed at first.

Reactions: NYLilac
If you have any social media, this is one such time to use it, I think.

Also, if this person is not your business partner, or your financial advisor, or such people who may have a right to know about how you're using the money, I...don't think you have any obligation (other than moral) to disclose or follow anything they said?

I am so sorry to hear that you're facing such amount of...nonsense, but I hope you're not stopping here-- the world needs your compassion. (all of us, actually, but)

12249796_1092131050805929_108988376001602307_n.jpg

Reactions: drummergirlbk
Thank you for your supportive comments, Trifolum, Flavus, and The. And I don't think my work is half bad.

I am helping a disabled child in a neighboring community.

Laugh in his face next time.

You had a plan that is being executed. The details are explicit. There is no one who should be involved with this with the exception of you. Under absolutely NO circumstances should you give money to anyone EXCEPT the family and certainly not through some third party who probably wants to take it for themselves.

Nope.

Tell this guy to shut the fuck up. If he is so concerned about it he can step up to the plate and generate his own income to help this family.

I design original hand-crafted bead bracelets and have received much positive feedback for my attention to detail and eye for harmonious colors and patterns. I am currently using my skill to raise money for a boy in a neighboring community who needs a special wheelchair-adapted van. 60% of all sales go to this cause; 40% for materials. So far, I have raised a modest amount, but not bad all considered. On New Year's Eve, I plan to present the family with a check for the funds raised thus far. One fellow (not connected to the charity or the family) has said I need to give the money now because people are speculating that I spent it, which is untrue. He said that people deserved to know why I wasn't giving the money this week. I had no idea that I had a boss I was working for. He even suggested I give the cash to a lady we both know and let her deliver it to the family. Uh, does he think I fell off the turnip truck last night? I am not that naive. I am feeling dispirited and ready to give up on charity and helping people if i'm going to be judged like this.

All I can say is WOW. Tell this loser to mind his own business and to leave you alone or you will get the athourities involved. The guy sound like a thief and wants the money. I have no dount hes probably telling people behind your back you have done something with the money.
Maybe you need to get someone you trust implicitly to see what you are doing and how you are handling the situation. Not that you have to but that it would give you another voice.
The person you have described of the guy immediately makes me think of parasite and scum of the world. Watch yourself around him.
In the mean time if your charity continues to grow, think about talking to a bank. They have services that allow you to manage the money and keep track of it as well as being able to show others where it is and where it is going.

Oh and, the world needs more people like you.

This fellow isn't connected to the family or the charity. Therefore, I think it's safe to assume he is connected to you. In what way (if you don't mind me asking)?