A personal topic about addiction. | INFJ Forum

A personal topic about addiction.

namelee59

Sep 25, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Hello. I have been thinking of a way to word this post for a couple days now and I figured it would never get done if I keep thinking about how to word it. Are there any other INFJs here who have ever become addicted to drugs or alcohol? I am having a bit of a personal struggle myself. I have gotten in to marijuana use quite heavily over the past few years. It started out as a conscious decision on my part to start smoking to enhance my life. It turned slowly in to me getting stoned every day. It was really cool at first one some of the best times in my life. It has just gone to far and I can't control it anymore. I have been going to some NA meetings but I don't think I like them very much. They seem to make me want to change my personalty, all I want to do is stop smoking the stuff. I am going to try an MA meeting soon to see if that is any different. I am just posting this because I need help. Has any other INFJ been though this type of thing before? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is this a psychological addiction, or a physical one?

It seems to me that it is a psychological addiction, more then a physical one. I am a person of habit and it seems to have become a big habit for me. It really works well with my personalty and lets me sort of escape in to my inner world with ease. It also kills my motivation which in the long run is not a good thing.

NA and AA scare me, they say you have to admit that you are powerless over your addiction and the only way for salvation is through God. It teaches that you'll never be without an addiction, and I believe as long as you think that way you won't. Everything about them seems to focus on the negative as opposed to dealing with and taking responsibility for overcoming the addiction.

There are support groups out there that can provide the kind of support that you need it just takes looking. G'luck.

It's really as simple as not buying it. I've been through the same thing, although I would never have called it an "addiction." It's a habit, and it's a very easy one to break (relatively speaking).

I went from smoking every day over the summer to stopping cold turkey when I moved. I tried to find some last weekend, but I couldn't (although I didn't try very hard).

Weed tends to have the opposite effect for me. More often than not, I'll get high and wonder why I'm being lazy and not doing anything. I completed more than a few art projects completely stoned.

With that said, I'll probably buy some more this year and then maybe quit for good. Weed makes me feel great, but it's expensive and I don't need a record. I may just quit doing drugs, period (including alcohol). Time will tell.

I'm not addicted, but if I had a steady source for oxycodone I probably would be. I've been offered heroin but that's going a little far for me.

If it's a problem that you can't quit by yourself, then there are substance abuse clinics that are very discrete. I may be biased, but I think social workers are better at helping in this paritcular issue than psychologists.

I'd never had an addiction before and only a few weeks ago I went to a Hookah bar with my friends. I was lured in with the claims that it was "natural" and "not addicting". I found out later from one of my Indian friends that an hour long session is the equivalent of over 100 cigarettes. I felt really good when I did it, but I've had massive cravings for it ever since. It was weird since I had always given my family crap about smoking.

See, that's why only idiots smoke cigarettes. Cigarettes are designed for maximum addiction. They also contain Nicotine which opens a pathway in your brains chemistry that cannot be shut.

Cigars are a little better.

^Cigarettes are hard to put down. I smoked on and off for about seven months and had to have an "episode" (involving a girl) to quit permanently.

I haven't smoked a cigarette since March, but I still crave one every now and then. I didn't even smoke for that long, so I definitely found it easier than many of my friends will when they try to quit.

If it's a problem that you can't quit by yourself, then there are substance abuse clinics that are very discrete. I may be biased, but I think social workers are better at helping in this paritcular issue than psychologists.

I'd never had an addiction before and only a few weeks ago I went to a Hookah bar with my friends. I was lured in with the claims that it was "natural" and "not addicting". I found out later from one of my Indian friends that an hour long session is the equivalent of over 100 cigarettes. I felt really good when I did it, but I've had massive cravings for it ever since. It was weird since I had always given my family crap about smoking.

LOL That clinches it, I'm never going back to another hookah bar for as long as I live.

I enjoy being at maximum physical effiencency.

NA and AA scare me, they say you have to admit that you are powerless over your addiction and the only way for salvation is through God. It teaches that you'll never be without an addiction, and I believe as long as you think that way you won't. Everything about them seems to focus on the negative as opposed to dealing with and taking responsibility for overcoming the addiction.

There are support groups out there that can provide the kind of support that you need it just takes looking. G'luck.

I feel the same way. I have several close friends who have been through it and it worked for them. I am just not sure it is the road I need to take. I just need to kick a really bad habit I don't need to change my entire way of thinking.

It's really as simple as not buying it. I've been through the same thing, although I would never have called it an "addiction." It's a habit, and it's a very easy one to break (relatively speaking).

I went from smoking every day over the summer to stopping cold turkey when I moved. I tried to find some last weekend, but I couldn't (although I didn't try very hard).

Weed tends to have the opposite effect for me. More often than not, I'll get high and wonder why I'm being lazy and not doing anything. I completed more than a few art projects completely stoned.

With that said, I'll probably buy some more this year and then maybe quit for good. Weed makes me feel great, but it's expensive and I don't need a record. I may just quit doing drugs, period (including alcohol). Time will tell.

I'm not addicted, but if I had a steady source for oxycodone I probably would be. I've been offered heroin but that's going a little far for me.

I wish it was so simple. I have pretty much been smoking everyday for the past 4 years and over the past 2 years I have been using almost all day. Having a smoke every 3 hours or so. I have not been more then 3 days with out smoking since I got to a everyday thing. It is really easy for me to get and even if I don't want to buy the stuff I find my self going to buy more. I even worked at a Headshop and started learning how to blow glass pipes and stuff. So i got pretty deep in the the "community" at one point. I am just ready to put all that behind me.

Atheists Anonymous... First you just have to admit that you are powerless over your addiction and the only way for salvation is through God.

I can become addicted to things very easily but usually can overcome the addiction (usually requires help from family/friends along with my will power) as for drugs best advice-don't buy them and don't hang out with people who use, buy, sell etc

Personally I know people who use but are not addicted and function fine in life so I am comfortable being around them, but I've never used/tried with them. I'm sure I'd become addicted to anything I tried.

I can become addicted to things very easily but usually can overcome the addiction (usually requires help from family/friends along with my will power) as for drugs best advice-don't buy them and don't hang out with people who use, buy, sell etc.

This is excellent advice.

I wonder..

What causes a person to turn to drugs and alcohol? I suppose it could be problems with the family or personal life, or perhaps a desire to delve the depths of the human soul. I've often wondered how I would've turned out if I had never smoked pot for the first time or taken my first shot of whiskey. Would I have been different... or perhaps indifferent?

I don't drink much, but tonight I did. It is an escape of sorts. Am I a weaker person for succumbing to a mechanism that enables me to leave my problems behind?

I have found much beauty in the perceived folly of intoxication. Subjectivity is a player in an inconceivably large game in which no one can win. Who is right and who is wrong? Drugs and alcohol have given me beautiful memories that I will forever cherish, and at the same time have given me superficial solutions to "problems" that can't be fixed by inebriation.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I'm just really fucking drunk and needed to spill something out somewhere.

Sometimes I wish I could apologize to everyone I knew for being such a fuckup.

Don't think there's one reason but escapism is one of. Honestly I don't think it's about weakness, sure it's better to deal with problems than avoid but sometimes it's healthy to relax and turn your mind off as well, give yourself a chance to refocus. It comes down is it used as a way of avoiding reality on a regular basis and can the person cope without it.

What you say makes perfect sense - kudos for typing so coherently drunk :D