A Neurophysiological Based Education System | INFJ Forum

A Neurophysiological Based Education System

Very interesting information especially found this to be informative:

Frontal Lobes: The frontal lobes functioning together are seen by many to be the abstract problem solving regions of the cortex. And, indeed, this statement is generally true—especially when one is contrasting the functional capabilities of these two regions with those of the posterior regions. Nonetheless, when looked at in detail and compared with each other, it is also clear that while both actively solve problems, they excel at solving quite different problems. Moreover, this difference in “what they do well” is directly linked to key differences in how they function
The frontal lobe on the left side seems to function in a manner which allows it to measure precisely and process logically. Mental tasks which we identify as: functional analysis, critical analysis, prioritizing, comparative analysis, cost/benefit analysis, identifying key factors, assigning a weight or value to each factor, identifying desirable strategic alliances, all of which use both logic and precise measurement, are readily accomplished by the frontal left, especially when the problem is one of correcting something that was at one time, but no longer is, functioning adequately; improving efficiency or functioning; fixing something that has been fixed before, successfully, making a logical, next-step improvement to an existing procedure, process or machine. As such, the frontal left lobe appears to be the home base for Jung’s Thinking Function.
By contrast the frontal lobe on the right side seems to function in a manner which allows it to see patterns and trends as well as use its imagination. Mental tasks which we identify as: pattern recognition, perception of trends, spatial rotation, creating or inventing new solutions — all of which are readily accomplished by the frontal right, especially when the problem is one of which is difficult to solve, has never been solved before, involves change and dynamic systems, and or in which all the data can never be known. As such, the frontal right lobe appears to be the home base for the Function Jung called Intuition.

I will think more on your education question. However, I seriously doubt that the goal is educating everybody equally in the good ol US. I doubt that efficiency has ever been the goal and that for the most part, our efforts to educate have been aimed at cranking out the factory workers. One would have to assume that somehow the emphasis had shifted--you only need to look at the level of funding for education to see that it isn't a priority.

subscribes....I have an idea - but it will take some sifting in my mind before I can propose. You bring up very interesting concepts and points.

I often dream about changing the school system. (I'm VERY passionate about this subject) It clearly doesn't work for the majority of students, and it's because the school system treats every student the same, and not as unique individuals with different needs. I don't yet know how it could change in a way that is practical/ doable, and that takes into consideration the emotional and mental needs of each child. A more individualized approach to learning would be quite a daunting feat.

From an MBTI standpoint, I would say that there is likely a classroom setting best suited to each personality type. As young children, the 3 function model that is used seems most appropriate. Each of these types requires a different way of learning, and a different way of being taught.

I guess if teachers were to understand these differences in their students, and acted accordingly to meet their needs, that would be a good starting point. Even if there are 20-30 kids in the class, the teacher could identify the students in groups of types and go from there, maybe even take note of each child's tendencies for future reference.

Here are some sumarized learning style descriptions of the childhood types taken from thePersonalityPage. The INJ description is bang on for me. It seems, though, that the current school system conflicts most with the ENP and IFP types.

ESP- (Se dominant)
  • Like to have specific instructions and clearly defined tasks.
  • May have trouble when they're not given specific direction.
  • Learn best in a hands-on way. When they're shown how to do something, they pick up on it quickly.
  • Very co-ordinated and agile, like physical activity.
  • Short attention span.
  • Extremely social, and like working with other kids more than sitting and listening.
  • Work best when physical activity is incorporated into learning, like acting things out.
ISJ- (Si Dominant)
  • Very observant
  • Like gathering facts and storing them away in a database
  • Don't like it when information is pulled out of nowhere. They like to expand on what they already know.
  • Goals for assignments are best if the guidelines are made crystal clear
  • Creative and abstract assignments tend to be overwhelming
  • They work hard, and excel as students in a typical academic setting. Responsible about completing homework.
  • Like to demostrate what they know
ENP- (Ne dominant)
  • Need constant stimulation
  • Don't like rote memorization *very difficult in the current school setting*
  • Don't like it when they are asked to foolow pre-defined steps that someone else came up with
  • Only like to put effort into things they're interested in or that they thought of themselves
  • Easily distracted from the task at hand, constantly inspired to new interests
  • Work best in groups
  • Have trouble completing all of their projects *also very difficult to accomodate*
  • Like to understand the theory, or purpose, behind everything, more than actually applying their knowledge practically. If you explain the theory, they can apply it quickly, instead of having to do the same thing over and over.
INJ-(Ni dominant)
  • Extremely curious and intellectual
  • Need a wide variety of mental stimulation
  • Want to know everything about subjects of interest
  • Don't like rote memorization or pre-planned steps. Find them boring.
  • Are annoyed with excessive repetition
  • Like to be given the basic theory of an assignment, and invstigate the outcome on their own
  • Often daydream or drift off into their own world
  • Don't like to be given direction, like to figure things out on their own. They feel threatened if someone gives them direction, because INJ's value their ability to learn in their own way
  • Often don't enjoy group work so much, may enjoy having one partner
  • Like creative projects like science and writing
  • Will follow rules well
EFJ- (Fe dominant)
  • Like to find people to interact with
  • Enjoy a structured environment
  • Responsible and hard working, but can get distracted by socializing
  • Don't like sitting quietly by themselves, they'd rather be doing group work
  • Need to feel like their teacher likes them; like to form a bond with the teacher.
  • Need to have an atmosphere of harmony
  • Like to approach assignments with a plan
IFP-(Fi dominant)
  • Dreamy and imaginative
  • Usually excel in humanities: i.e. History, English, Music, Drama, and Art
  • Resist things that seem impersonal
  • Don't like completing tasks that are based in pure logic
  • Don't like risking making the wrong choice, and need positive reinforcement from others
  • Sometimes have trouble following through on completing assignements
  • Crushed by punishment and criticism
  • Have original and intelligent ideas
ETJ-(Te dominant)
  • Extremely logical and rational
  • Can only be reached with a rational argument
  • Like structure, order, and consistency
  • Like rules to be strictly defined and well inforced
  • Tasks need to be well planned before they can be implemented
  • Like pursuing specific goals
  • Loud, expressive, and like being the centre of attention.
  • Honest and fair, ETJ's will get upset if rules are not consistently upheld. They believe that the same rules should apply to everyone without exception
  • Highly curious
  • Naturally suspicious of new things
  • Like to be competent and independent
ITP-(Ti dominant)
  • Logical and rational, with capacity to understand anything the cirriculum throws at them
  • Tend to only put effort into those things that interest them
  • Tend to like and understand math
  • Need to know what they did well specifically and why. "Good Job" just isn't enough
  • Like to have specific rules and guidelines
  • Interested in learning, but are easily bored, so they need to be challenged often
  • Like to be left to their own devices to achieve goals, and don't follow a strict guideline
  • Work best alone, and find it hard to participate in groupwork