.. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Can you explain the process of manufacturing a video game to me?
I cannot begin to imagine the amount of time and work it must take.

From what I gathered when I was taken on a tour of a development studio, it takes about 2 people working, and 198 to play Team Fortress 2 (or Left 4 Dead).

Seriously, I've never seen so much slacking off in my life, and I post on forums all day!

Can you explain the process of manufacturing a video game to me?
I cannot begin to imagine the amount of time and work it must take.
Do you start with characters or scenery?

It starts with an idea from a game designer (not an art designer). A couple of artists and a couple of gameplay coders build a scetchy prototype from this. If the ones in charge decides that the protoype is qualified for production, then a more solid game design is thought out. More coders, artists, testers etc are added over time until the production runs full speed.

Everything is very professional, efficient and planned out in detail. (A bit much Te for me really.) Both the producers, the development directors as well as the lead programmers are among the best professionals you can find. Everybody is expected to work a huge amount of overtime and that only works beacuse so many people want to be in this business, because they think it is cool. For everyone that leaves because of the workload, there are 10 people knocking on the door waiting to give it a shot.

As a consumer I'd say that peace is pretty boring.
It could be interesting, if a game is concentrated on strategic thinking / optimization. Like minecraft or building simulators. In this sense I consider RTS games "more peaceful", even when they revolve around war, because the core is about building orders / patterns. But that also could explain why they are less popular outside of Asia.

The irony is that even violent historical conflicts have usually been won by the nation with enough peaceful minds to think of original designs that helped to advance the art of war. Thus peace is the secret essence of most war victories.

It could be interesting, if a game is concentrated on strategic thinking / optimization. Like minecraft or building simulators. In this sense I consider RTS games "more peaceful", even when they revolve around war, because the core is about building orders / patterns. But that also could explain why they are less popular outside of Asia.

The irony is that even violent historical conflicts have usually been won by the nation with enough peaceful minds to think of original designs that helped to advance the art of war. Thus peace is the secret essence of most war victories.

I like shooting people... a lot.

I'll play RTS games and platformers and such, I'm a gamer, but when given a gun and a bunch of people in front of me I'm in my element.

I like shooting people... a lot.

I'll play RTS games and platformers and such, I'm a gamer, but when given a gun and a bunch of people in front of me I'm in my element.

And that is very common. That is why such games sell so well. But I have been different all my life, so naturally I will want to make different games. :) I don't care too much about maximizing the profit.