.. | INFJ Forum

Let's see if it stands up to the CoD juggernaught.

Very impressive (realistic) quality of the graphics. I wonder how will this evolve in the future. I have the feeling some threshold will be reached, after which it will just become common sense that perfect graphics are possible, and people will move on to other areas of interest. Like what happened to radio (people used to be obsessed with listening to radio in the past, because it was such a wonder and mystery for them).

I don't believe in the predictions for people immersed in cyber-realities, deprived of sense for the real world. On the opposite, I think the era of cyber-reality will be diminished, once it becomes completely real, and then be used for practical purposes mainly: like emulating missing body parts for the brain to avoid the feeling of pain; for education and instruction etc.

Very impressive (realistic) quality of the graphics. I wonder how will this evolve in the future. I have the feeling some threshold will be reached, after which it will just become common sense that perfect graphics are possible, and people will move on to other areas of interest. Like what happened to radio (people used to be obsessed with listening to radio in the past, because it was such a wonder and mystery for them).

I don't believe in the predictions for people immersed in cyber-realities, deprived of sense for the real world. On the opposite, I think the era of cyber-reality will be diminished, once it becomes completely real, and then be used for practical purposes mainly: like emulating missing body parts for the brain to avoid the feeling of pain; for education and instruction etc.

The only threshold would be the point where the number of pixels on a cyberspace object equal the number of molecules on a real life object. When computer games perfectly simulate real physics. We don't even know everything about real life, so we're still miles away from this accomplishment.

Oh and I forgot A.I. actually being intelligent.

Yes, I agree with enfp_can_be_shy. I think realism has its place, but when it comes to games, I like to see them as pieces of art and I'm no huge fan of realistic art. I like abstractions that allow my mind to fill in the blanks and I think realism is a very limiting framework for an artist to work within.

That said, I know that this is my own preference and that very many people get super hyped by realistic computer generated worlds. I can't say I completely understand them, but I accept it.

Ah I agree with this. I think realism has it's place in some aspects, but a completely realistic game is just boring.

I am not into Video Games much but the graphics look fantastic. The videos reminded of the movie Black Hawk Down.

which part of this project did you work on Mooseman?

Last edited:
I am into Video Games much but the graphics look fantastic. The videos reminded of the movie Black Hawk Down.

Not everything in the (first) clip is from the game, but even after watching it a couple of times I have to look hard to see what is computer generated and not.

Which part of this project did you work on Mooseman?

UI programming and interaction design.

UI programming includes all 2D graphics in the game; the minimap, crosshairs, nametags, end of round statistics and all other text and information shown while playing, as well as the menu system with weapon customizations, server browser, etc etc. Interaction design includes how to navigate in the menus, how information should be displayed, what button to press to change seat in a tank etc.

The goal with all this is to make it as little annoying as possible. It should just be there and melt into the game without the players consciously noticing it. A bit like film music.

I shall admire the HUD then.

It's super awesome to be part of such big project. So, how many people (approximately) are involved with the UI? I can imagine it being a very complex and detailed sub-project with large databases etc.
The only threshold would be the point where the number of pixels on a cyberspace object equal the number of molecules on a real life object. When computer games perfectly simulate real physics. We don't even know everything about real life, so we're still miles away from this accomplishment.
I didn't imply that it's very near, sorry for the misunderstanding. But also our senses are very limited. We are easy to trick (nature tricks us all the time already). :) VR-makers are half-physicists, half-illusionists.

For me, this is clearly morally questionable and absolutely not something I would have decided to do myself if I were to design a game.

Why?

It's super awesome to be part of such big project. So, how many people (approximately) are involved with the UI? I can imagine it being a very complex and detailed sub-project with large databases etc.

The size of the team varied over time, but most of the time we were 6 people on UI. Three coders, two artists and one interaction designer. The interaction designer went on maternity leave so we had to take over her responsibilities. In the bug fixing phase we got 2 more coders.

The core team for the whole (multiplayer) game is about 40 people. The credits list for the multiplayer consists of about 200 names, excluding the testing team.

There are about 3000 different texts in the game, translated into 10 languages.

Reactions: enfp can be shy
Simply beacuse it glorifies war and portrays the elite soldiers as cool guys. I'm not into that. I want to make games that promote peace.

As a consumer I'd say that peace is pretty boring. I would however say that I'd rather see a war fought from both sides rather than just portraying the Americans as the heroes.

Assassin's Creed did this brilliantly. It's set in the crusades but in no way did they make either side the good guys. Both sides were pretty nasty and you're really just caught up in the middle of things.

Linkin Park just released a new video as a collaboration with the EA game company to promote the new Medal of Honor game. This is the game I have been part of developing for the last year. It is an FPS about the current war in Afghanistan. For me, this is clearly morally questionable and absolutely not something I would have decided to do myself if I were to design a game. Still, it has been a fascinating experience for me to see what a production like this is like. It is the first game of this caliber I have been involved in.

The singleplayer part is made by EALA in California and the multiplayer part is made by DICE in Stockholm.

Here is the Linkin Park video/trailer:
YouTube- Medal of Honor / Linkin Park - "The Catalyst" Trailer (HD)

Here is the multiplayer trailer (released some time ago):
YouTube- Medal of Honor E3 Multiplayer Trailer [HD]

Just wanted to show you what I do at work.

Can you explain the process of manufacturing a video game to me?
I cannot begin to imagine the amount of time and work it must take.
Do you start with characters or scenery?