10 Myths about Introverts | INFJ Forum

10 Myths about Introverts

o.o It also described me very well. Nice post. Not much to add to that. :p It goes in line with the post I recently posted on my blog.

Honestly for me this one hurts more almost than almost any other point.

Also this post describe me very well.

I saw an image about hot to care with an introvert.

I will find it and post it here.

Korg found it for me.

carefori.jpg

@ ~jet: so true, great post

Ummm all of these fit me, and I'm an extravert, so they can't be that pinned to I's.

Ummm all of these fit me, and I'm an extravert, so they can't be that pinned to I's.

Heh, I question your test results... the above are introverted by definition, which means you would be too

Reactions: Blind Bandit

This is not Jungian introversion; this is introversion in the common conversational sense.

Korg found it for me.

carefori.jpg

I like that. Sums it up really well.

Also, OP is spot on. Now if only more people would understand it
and try to apply both things pointed out in the OP and in what Bird posted.

But aren't ENFJ's also considered one of the only Extrovert types that display Introverted qualities? I would actually have a hard time distinguishing an INFJ from an ENFJ since, as the post above says:

Reactions: ~jet
I would add to the last one... It's not 'cannot fix' ... it's 'should not' and 'must not' fix.

Not really, I think "cannot fix" is perfectly accurate because it emphasises the genetic element. If you say "should not fix" an ESTJ, somewhere in the world, will scoff.

In jungian terms, being an introvert is defined as; an individual who's dominant attitude of consciousness is to the subjective, internalisation of sense impressions.

In biological, neurological and physiological terms, introversion is a lowered threshold for external sense impressions which conversely means an introverted brain type is more adept at dealing with the depth of subjective impressions over external stimulation. (Interesting article for references and further reading)

Both of the above are genetic preferences, as natural and "in-built" as the colour of your hair.

Not really, I think "cannot fix" is perfectly accurate because it emphasises the genetic element. If you say "should not fix" an ESTJ, somewhere in the world, will scoff.

In jungian terms, being an introvert is defined as; an individual who's dominant attitude of consciousness is to the subjective, internalisation of sense impressions.

In biological, neurological and physiological terms, introversion is a lowered threshold for external sense impressions which conversely means an introverted brain type is more adept at dealing with the depth of subjective impressions over external stimulation. (Interesting article for references and further reading)

Both of the above are genetic preferences, as natural and "in-built" as the colour of your hair.

Disagree; it doesn't matter if its genetic and incontrovertible... the point is, people who TRY are assuming it is somehow wrong or unhealthy to be introverted, and THAT is what SHOULD/MUST not happen.

But aren't ENFJ's also considered one of the only Extrovert types that display Introverted qualities? I would actually have a hard time distinguishing an INFJ from an ENFJ since, as the post above says:

When I worked a job I was passionate about, I was often mistaken for an Extrovert; people just assumed I was outgoing by nature.

Anyway - I should bring this along with me to job interviews. MBTI comes up as part of my background and training so when people hear I'm an "INFJ" they usually ask why an Introvert would be interested in such and such job, since "I" and "E" are some of the only things people understand about the types. :frusty:

Fe doms are typically very extroverted, so no

Disagree; it doesn't matter if its genetic and incontrovertible... the point is, people who TRY are assuming it is somehow wrong or unhealthy to be introverted, and THAT is what SHOULD/MUST not happen.

Exactly, the point is that people THINK introversion is something you can turn off, hence the misconception and prejudice.

Would it not be better to propagate that introversion is actually an empirically and scientifically valid genetic disposition in built into human beings?

This is not even mentioning that everyone is both introverted and extroverted...

Exactly, the point is that people THINK introversion is something you can turn off, hence the misconception and prejudice.

Would it not be better to propagate that introversion is actually an empirically and scientifically valid genetic disposition in built into human beings?

This is not even mentioning that everyone is both introverted and extroverted...

The last point is mostly a decision in definitions... if you say introversion is a set of preferences and extroversion is the opposite, then they don't really change if a person is being outgoing when their preferences are met, they'd still be introverted or extroverted, period. Depends on how you want to define. The original myth post attacks it from the angle that I prefer which is, I'm introverted... period. This has nothing to do with outgoingness or quietness, but instead on when I prefer to be either.

But yeah... I do agree. Introversion is not a disease and it's not fixable. Those who are introverted have historically provided incredible benefit to society, while those who have been 'fixed' are typically 'broken' as a result.

• My need for privacy is something I will have to compromise. Nobody has to "watch out" for this, I have no problem notifying people when I want privacy, or simply be left alone.
  • Don't embarrass me in public. Reprimand me in private. Otherwise you'll quickly end up in my shit-list.
  • I can't stand being misunderstood, and you will misunderstand me if I don't get some time to think about what I say.
  • I only enjoy being with one person at the time.
  • I don't read books instead of socializing, but I do play computer games, watch movies, or work. Yes, I would rather work than being around a bunch of people.
Any other myths about my introversion goes.

I agree with everything on that list, some more than others but I can relate to it all none the less. which kind of surprises me because I expected there to be something there that I would disagree with.

d4a5010a706696668565038ef6de1b0d.jpg