Your Thoughts on the Prison System | INFJ Forum

Your Thoughts on the Prison System

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Scientia, May 10, 2015.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Scientia
  1. Scientia

    Scientia A true lady

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2014
    Threads:
    53
    Messages:
    3,002
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    6,424
    Trophy Points:
    902
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    A large amount of tax money, about 1/3 in each state, goes toward maintaining the current corrections system. If nonviolent drug offenses were released on probation and into a treatment program, the number of young offenders in prisons in this country would be reduced by more than 400%.
    Why haven't lawmakers addressed the huge amount of money being invested in a broken prison system whose recidivism rate is ridiculously high? What is the purpose of incarcerating young, nonviolent offenders? It's not as if they are rehabilitated, in fact, they often leave the system worse than when they entered. It seems to me that this is a huge issue that no one talks about. I see students arrested for minor drug offenses carted off in handcuffs, only to return a few months later with violent tendencies whereas before they had been regular kids.
    Anyone familiar with Arizona's policy on nonviolent drug offenders? That one seems to be different. Does it work?
    What are your thoughts on the prison system? Do you think it is an effective punishment/deterrent?
     
    Erlian and invisible like this.
  2. hush

    Site Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2011
    Threads:
    229
    Messages:
    14,695
    Featured Threads:
    22
    Likes Received:
    42,968
    Trophy Points:
    4,001
    MBTI:
    pocketoli
    Enneagram:
    [video=youtube_share;yndfqN1VKhY]http://youtu.be/yndfqN1VKhY[/video]
     
  3. the

    the Si master race.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Threads:
    479
    Messages:
    14,389
    Featured Threads:
    9
    Likes Received:
    8,781
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I think locking a person in a cage for several years is immoral. Why is it okay if a group of people do that (and the nation sits by and passively accepts it), but if a mother does that to a child she is mentally ill?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Kgal likes this.
  4. invisible

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    Threads:
    225
    Messages:
    9,023
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    9,914
    Trophy Points:
    1,329
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Avalon Archipelago
    MBTI:
    none
    its pointless to lock someone up in order to get revenge, because no amount of revenge is ever going to fix the hurt that was done, and anyhow it doesnt stop them from doing it again. however there is a point to removing people from society who are unable to respect its rules, so long as they are cared for humanely.
     
  5. hush

    Site Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2011
    Threads:
    229
    Messages:
    14,695
    Featured Threads:
    22
    Likes Received:
    42,968
    Trophy Points:
    4,001
    MBTI:
    pocketoli
    Enneagram:
  6. hush

    Site Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2011
    Threads:
    229
    Messages:
    14,695
    Featured Threads:
    22
    Likes Received:
    42,968
    Trophy Points:
    4,001
    MBTI:
    pocketoli
    Enneagram:
    An excerpt from this:

    http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/04/Frontline/360812/

    "You can't conduct yourself like a human being when they treat you like an animal."

    Except no animal should be treated like that.
     
    invisible likes this.
  7. invisible

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    Threads:
    225
    Messages:
    9,023
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    9,914
    Trophy Points:
    1,329
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Avalon Archipelago
    MBTI:
    none
    i agree hush. has anyone read "Star Rover" by Jack London?? its a short novel about solitary confinement and legalised torture and the way those things destroy the human mind. it was published in 1915 and its just as relevant now as it was then. read it!!!!!!!!!!!!
     
  8. Kgal

    Kgal Magic Star Dust
    Site Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    10,530
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    6,537
    Trophy Points:
    1,215
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Texasssss.
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 Mediator
    Because the taxpayers money is funding privately owned businesses and those owners have powerful lobbies.

    Because it keeps a large percentage of young males locked up and not able to band together in a common cause.
    Because those that break the law despite the consequences cannot be "controlled".
    Because those that experiment with drugs are more intelligent and curious than those who strictly do what they are told to do.

    It's all about control and money.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. drummergirlbk

    drummergirlbk Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2014
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    828
    Likes Received:
    201
    Trophy Points:
    150
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Aside from the debate of whether or not the prison system is moral or immoral, oftentimes I feel like we have a prison system that is so large because people who break the law are not smart enough to not get caught. For example, the area where I live has some of the largest per capita concentrations of meth in the company. There are SO MANY news articles I've seen in our county where people have a meth lab in their car and they get pulled over for an expired tag or not wearing their seatbelt, and they fucking give the cop permission to search the fucking vehicle! Last month when Nelly got arrested for drug possession, it was in my county go figure, and what do you know the cop pulled him over for some unrelated thing or another. i feel too lazy to pull up the news story at the moment.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Skarekrow

    Skarekrow ~~DEVIL~~

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Threads:
    105
    Messages:
    18,544
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    36,316
    Trophy Points:
    2,476
    MBTI:
    Ni-INFJ-A
    Enneagram:
    Warlock
    Oftentimes people who have not had a quality education, or were brought up in a household with ignorant parents, or even those with learning disabilities will turn to crime as a means to survive or because they have been raised around crime or have/had criminal parents as well.
    The problem would be significantly reduced if we had a higher quality education system here in the US…but the cycle of poverty contributes to it even more.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Faye likes this.
  11. drummergirlbk

    drummergirlbk Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2014
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    828
    Likes Received:
    201
    Trophy Points:
    150
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    that's exactly what I was getting at.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Skarekrow

    Skarekrow ~~DEVIL~~

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Threads:
    105
    Messages:
    18,544
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    36,316
    Trophy Points:
    2,476
    MBTI:
    Ni-INFJ-A
    Enneagram:
    Warlock
    To think we punish people for being addicted to a drug is morally wrong IMO.
    The word “addict” comes from the word “slave”….as in, your body/brain are slaves to this substance.
    Sure, punish them if they commit a crime other than shooting up…but what they need is treatment or nothing will change…all the non-violent drug offenders learn in prison is how to become criminals.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Y0u

    Y0u Community Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2014
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    591
    Likes Received:
    100
    Trophy Points:
    145
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Someday, hopefully, it will be looked on as we do the debtor's prisons and madhouses. They can serve as a deterrent, but they usually do nothing to solve the underlying problem... it's usually the exact opposite. Our incarceration rate is a pretty hard statistic to spin, so nobody talks about it.

    Nothing's been done, because people have been trained into getting their daily 10+ minutes hate.
     
  14. Skarekrow

    Skarekrow ~~DEVIL~~

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Threads:
    105
    Messages:
    18,544
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    36,316
    Trophy Points:
    2,476
    MBTI:
    Ni-INFJ-A
    Enneagram:
    Warlock
    Marco Rubio Is Being Funded by Private For-Profit Prisons


    The full article here -
    http://theantimedia.org/marco-rubio-is-being-funded-by-private-for-profit-prisons/
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Kgal likes this.
  15. Skarekrow

    Skarekrow ~~DEVIL~~

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Threads:
    105
    Messages:
    18,544
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    36,316
    Trophy Points:
    2,476
    MBTI:
    Ni-INFJ-A
    Enneagram:
    Warlock
    [video=youtube;e9VETqBVpd4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=e9VETqBVpd4[/video]​
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Kgal

    Kgal Magic Star Dust
    Site Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    10,530
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    6,537
    Trophy Points:
    1,215
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Texasssss.
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 Mediator
    Once you start looking for it you'll see where a large number of state governments have privatized most everything these days.

    Also - you'll start seeing how someone will get elected....then they'll serve on a certain committee....then when they don't run for office again....they'll be hired on as a Lobbyist or become a board member of a huge corporation they passed laws to protect their industry while on said committee.

    Our government is a complete scam on the working people.

    I am a social worker and run a very small grant funded agency for children with special health care needs in TX. We are witnessing the complete overhaul and privatization of the medical care previously administered by the state. Medicaid for children and SSI are about to become wholly administered by private health insurance companies. It is currently a nightmare out there for the Moms of children with such illnesses as: Cystic Fibrosis, Neurodegenerative diseases; Severe Autism; Traumatic Brain injury; and cerebral palsy. It's amazing to watch congress give the money away to their partners and deprive working class families of much needed assistance while watching the insurance companies deny services to children. Medical transportation is privatized. Database management of who gets what is privatized. Pretty soon case management will be privatized and we will most likely see the end of social workers in TX. The insurance companies are hiring RN's to do the case management. We've already heard how they handle things. For example: one elderly lady with COPD needed oxygen, a bed, and a medical home. The nurse never went out to her home to see if she had any other needs. Turns out she needed help with making her electric bill. The nurse said sorry - I only do medical stuff. I can't help it if you don't have electricity.

    Yikes! A social worker would have gone out to the home and done a comprehensive assessment. We have known where to get help for the elecric bill. I mean what good would oxygen and other equipment do for the woman if she didn't have electricity?

    It's getting pretty rough out there and in TX it will get worse over the coming years.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    hush likes this.
  17. Lerxst

    Lerxst Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Threads:
    122
    Messages:
    2,380
    Likes Received:
    743
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. sprinkles

    sprinkles Well-known member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    9,583
    Likes Received:
    7,235
    Trophy Points:
    1,011
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    I think we're all in a prison system called humanity.
     
    Scientia and Kgal like this.
  19. Eventhorizon

    Eventhorizon Permanently relocated
    Banned

    Joined:
    May 19, 2013
    Threads:
    251
    Messages:
    16,543
    Featured Threads:
    31
    Likes Received:
    10,275
    Trophy Points:
    2,187
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Why haven't lawmakers addressed our broken justice system? Its because no one cares until it happens to them.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Skarekrow

    Skarekrow ~~DEVIL~~

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Threads:
    105
    Messages:
    18,544
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    36,316
    Trophy Points:
    2,476
    MBTI:
    Ni-INFJ-A
    Enneagram:
    Warlock
    I disagree…just based on the fact that I give a shit, and I doubt that I am that unique.
    It’s because our lawmakers are ignoring the people.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #20 Skarekrow, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
Loading...

Share This Page