Your best friend | INFJ Forum

Your best friend

dogman6126

Community Member
May 9, 2014
MBTI
ENFJ-wasINFJ
Ok, so I have a best friend (ENFJ) and we are extremely close. He and I can basically tell each other/talk about anything. I was wondering how common that is among other people. I was also wondering if you have more than one friend that's close like that. Also, for those of you that do/did have a friend that was really close like that, did you remain friends after college, or did you grow apart? Do you keep in touch if you moved away? Do things change between you? If you did stay close friends, how did you manage it?
I ask because we are both freshmen in college now (different colleges, different career paths) and I don't want to stop being friends.

Me and my best friend met at 10 years of age, we are both 25 now. We have been through thick and thin. There have been two periods where we didn't speak for about six months to a year. I am in the Navy now but when I go home we hang out nearly every day. So no we didn't grow apart we are brothers now and nothing can ever change that.

i think it helps to continually make the effort to bond over common interests and show that you care by paying attention to whats going on in the other persons life. i found commitments and expectations to be the least helpful factors in maintaining friendships longterm; all things change and sometimes you have to change with them.

Reactions: Gaze
I stayed close friends with mine for a while. 5 years after college ended for both of us, but he killed himself and I never made an effort to talk to my bestfriend about my own attempt (guilty conscious), which maybe would have helped him. Helping his younger brother cope now, as well as I can. Another person too smart and too nice for this lot in history.

My best friend is my cousin and so I've known him most of my life. If we weren't related, I doubt we would still be in contact with one another. He lives in a different part of the country and we only really meet at family events and the occasional visits.

We get on so well because we're the two black sheep in the family. We're both weird and reserved and we like the same sort of stuff which tends to be in the surreal and the strange. We've got the same absurd, fucked up sense of humor. My mother once asked me whether Alan (friend's name) "has emotions" which I found hilarious as I'm sure his mother has asked him similar questions.

I stayed close friends with mine for a while. 5 years after college ended for both of us, but he killed himself and I never made an effort to talk to my bestfriend about my own attempt (guilty conscious), which maybe would have helped him. Helping his younger brother cope now, as well as I can. Another person too smart and too nice for this lot in history.

I'm so sorry.

I am not friends with anyone that I've met from highschool.

I have close friends now...and I hope we will always remain friends. I was never one to be the best at keeping in contact, or wanting to talk daily. I found that my friends from highschool wanted that (when we were younger), and since I wasn't like that - we just fell apart. The reason I like my friends now, is that we all recognize that we have our own lives apart from each other- but yet we are always there when we need one another.

I have one best friend. We've been friends since she was 8 and I was 10. She's still in high school and I'm in college, but I go to school in the same town, so we are still inseparable. I have other friends, but I always find myself wanting to be with her instead, most of the time. She gets me, and I get her. Sometimes I think our bond keeps us from making other new friends, but I don't think I will be able to find another friendship like ours. No one wants that anymore it seems. Everyone already has friends, and investing in a new relationship is difficult for me when I already have one that will be better. I also feel like my newer friends will one day leave, and they will not remain in contact with me. Because of that, I always keep closer to my best friend. I don't feel like our relationship is that fragile and it won't be broken by distance. I think we will remain friends for a long time. We've been through a lot, and I can't imagine my life without her. We are definitely those best friends that never go anywhere without each other and people always think we're sisters.

My best friend and I met when we were 12, 6th grade I believe. Still talk to each other, and even when life gets crazy and we shell up and don't speak for months, we can still pick up as if no time has passed. She is an INFP, same as me, and we were also both adopted. Her birthday is on April Fools. I love her, going to fly back home to visit some dear friends soon. Can't wait!

Had a best friend for a while for all the wrong reasons. Its funny, I saw the life I wanted and thought I should have so I tried to create it. I had friends that I had fun with but not that I understood well. I mean we bonded but were very little alike other than we liked to have fun, had similar interest in cars etc. But I always felt like I was talking to a wall about the things I was thinking about. Not a big deal, it seems I feel this way with most people. Its just that at some point I realized I am on a completely different wave length.

So you can be brothers by blood or other ways. And thats what I feel like. I dont know its weird. Most of the people I am close to I would die for and I believe they would die for me. But I am so detached I think. Its like they live in a different world. I see the world for what it is while all these people around m embrace the lie.

Eh...

I have a best friend way back in my home country. We became friends in undergrad (4 years) and by 3rd year we were moving in terms of good and stable friendship. I can share anything with him, with full trust and he shares with me too. I feel that we need to have someone reliable friend to maintain happiness and stability in life, even if it is just 1 friend. But for some reason i find it hard to find such relationships especially with other males in US.

Besides, I had one young friend about which i talked in earlier posts. It is no longer an active friendship but deep friendships provide a different meaning to life.

Hey, I want a best friend too. :mcute:

I'm gonna look at things in my head again and let you know if everything is cool to discuss.

With ref to who ever the hell sent me that private message about belong together or whatnot.

Hope that make sense. Now.