Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
So i was thinking to myself today, well for a few days now. I often argue with my nephew who is also one of my closest friends. It's not a really over huge things or ones filled with emotion but they are arguments none the less. And nine tmes out of ten I could guarantee you that I am right, But for some reason the way I put forth my argument either is flawed (to him) or makes no sense (to him). From what I've heard this is a prittey common thing for the INFJ.

so I was hoping that their might be a possibilty to share experinces.

second question thats just going to be tacked on here because I don't see the need to make another thread for it.

Do you naturally defend the underdog, unliked, o unrepresented?

So i was thinking to myself today, well for a few days now. I often argue with my nephew who is also one of my closest friends. It's not a really over huge things or ones filled with emotion but they are arguments none the less. And nine tmes out of ten I could guarantee you that I am right, But for some reason the way I put forth my argument either is flawed (to him) or makes no sense (to him). From what I've heard this is a prittey common thing for the INFJ.

so I was hoping that their might be a possibilty to share experinces.

second question thats just going to be tacked on here because I don't see the need to make another thread for it.

Do you naturally defend the underdog, unliked, o unrepresented?

I have that problem too..perhaps it's because of the intuitive
part of our personality, where we just "know" when we're right,
except we often have trouble verbalising it? It's either that or
we really need to examine ourselves, because it could be some kind
of personality flaw...

Like yourself, i too have petty arguments with people that i'm
close to. I'm not very good at thinking on the spot, and often find that
when i'm reflecting over something that has happened is when i come
up with what i would have liked to have said, rather than what i did say.

As for your second question-definitely, i tend to both attract, and be
attracted to those who have faced some kind of injustice. But at the
moment i'm learning to control the amount of energy i put into doing
this, because sometimes it just really drains me.

I always phrase my arguments from their point of view. I have SJ, SP, NT and NF arguments for Global Genocide.

I argue the Bible against Christian Arguments,
Realism/Sociology against Political "Pundits" and so on.

I always phrase my arguments from their point of view. I have SJ, SP, NT and NF arguments for Global Genocide.

I argue the Bible against Christian Arguments,
Realism/Sociology against Political "Pundits" and so on.

you use the Bible to contradict Christian theology

Well what do you argue with your nephew about typically?
:m154:

Basically a whole list of logical fallacies and personal attacks. I usually bring up stupid things said person has done in the past for added effect.

To actually discuss the topic at hand could be detrimental to my success, so I try to avoid that as best as possible.

Well what do you argue with your nephew about typically?
:m154:

not because I don't feel like a specific answer is neccassry, but becasue their isn't one.

we argue over every thing. religion, politics, science, biology, and a exceptually large amount of random crap.

we don't argue out of conflict, but whenever we disagree or have different points of view a often lengthy discussion forms.

sometimes we argue about things we agree on, some times we argue for no reason at all.

I've come to the coclusion that we just like to argue.

"So i was thinking to myself today, well for a few days now. I often argue with my nephew who is also one of my closest friends. It's not a really over huge things or ones filled with emotion but they are arguments none the less. And nine tmes out of ten I could guarantee you that I am right, But for some reason the way I put forth my argument either is flawed (to him) or makes no sense (to him). From what I've heard this is a prittey common thing for the INFJ

so I was hoping that their might be a possibilty to share experinces."

i only know one infj (well) and i think its common :p
i recently just decided its easier to just let them win the argument, because it is practically impossible for them to think they are wrong.
i think a lot of it is, when they are so positive about being right, a lot of the time it is opinion based.
im an infp, and when the infj i know and i fight, for me i dont really see a "this is correct and this is not" because i base everything off past experiences and how it makes me feel.
but i dont exactly feel like they think of it as "this is correct and this is not" either. i think they mostly see it as "this is wrong and this is right" which makes arguments between both very difficult.
sometimes i dont think there really is a correct answer.

generalization

Actally he wrote "because christians don't seem to believe other sources of information"

Thus implying that he is basing this statement on personal experience (which ofc by any statistical significance is limited) and not as a statistical fact.

It is indeed a generalization based on his observations, but a generalization in itself is not a logical fallacy.

Hasty generalization on the other hand, is a logical fallacy.

So yes you are indeed pointing out a generalization, Captain Obvious would have been proud.

And nine tmes out of ten I could guarantee you that I am right, But for some reason the way I put forth my argument either is flawed (to him) or makes no sense (to him).

Ever consider that you could be totally wrong?

Try it sometime. It's a good exercise.

I did it, and now I am more right than ever!

Yes, I do.

Ever consider that you could be totally wrong?

Try it sometime. It's a good exercise.

I did it, and now I am more right than ever!

I see what you did thar.

Wait, no I didn't.

I'm confuzzeled :(

I usually went totally...cold, hard logic in attempts to describe things I wanted to say. And man, does that feel bad; I usually ended up shivering / shaking / stuttering after that.
Being wrong is understandable and a logical result, but most of the times I put this idea on the plate, "this is MY idea / opinion, take it or leave it."

An ENTJ friend of mine is able to beat me down honestly (and I love her for it), tho ; by pointing out the fallacies inside my thoughts.

Well, to be wrong is to realize that you can change :)