Quiet

i know nothing
Dec 16, 2011
aus
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
1w9
Given the determination and progress of Space X....i feel confident that space exploration will be increasingly viable. Colonisation of Mars, well...i do believe that it is possible, although how that happens is uncertain

Theoretically-

If space travel was affordable and viable to you, would you do it? How long? For what purpose?

If it was practically possible to begin a colony on Mars, would you be interested in living on Mars? What kind of civilisation would you want to build and develop?

Do you think it is reasonable for Mars to be associated or managed by any company or nation? For example, if it is Space X and Elon Musk that gets us to Mars, should Space X, Elon Musk or whatever team they choose design, manage and govern the colony?

Reactions: acd and invisible
I think even if we were able to visit Mars and establish a colony, it would be a good few decades if not a few hundred years to make it habitable enough to move on the planet freely, just for leisure. I would visit for a vacation. I would see it the same as visiting an exotic island.

I wouldn't go.

I can hardly put up with a 12hr flight across the Pacific - there's no way I would be couped up in a spacecraft for months. When you get there there's not all that much to see - just dirt and rocks through small windows.

The only thing which would make me want to go is if they found ruins of some extinct civilisation.

It would take faster-than-light travel to make me seriously think about going off planet - and I would want the gas-giants tour, plus a distant viewing of the super-massive black-hole at the center of the Milky way. Even if there is no black-hole, I just want to see the stars from the center.

Last edited:
I don't think I would be able to go and live there, the whole idea of it sounds so terrifying. I'm already afraid of heights like being in an airplane is scary enough for me, ahah... What if something goes wrong in the Mars or when traveling to there? I know that many things could go badly wrong here in Earth too, though.

I'm writing this assuming that it is a one-way ticket, which I think is the way this kind of thing is talked about at this time in history. (Although by responding on these terms, I am not attempting to devalidate responses of others who would not respond on these terms.)

I think it is quite a cool ambition to have. I think that in a way, it means that you contributed your life to the interests of humankind. You were (partly) a sort of test subject for what it is like for humans to live on planets away from Earth.

No, I would not do it. I would not be able to part with my family, it would be too difficult. Also, I need a simple life, where I can walk outside without thinking about it, and see the trees and the ocean.

If a private enterprise amasses the capital to pay for a colonisation type expedition to another planet... who can stop them? It's not like other planets are already "legitimately" "owned" by humans. In an ideal world, such expeditions would be free of private interests... but now that you bring up the question about it, I think that's maybe not very realistic.

The first people going to mars are not going to have a fun time. If I could go and come back yes. Otherwise imagine a place cramped and confined. ..and you never can leave. Ever. And if you get tired of someone., you cant get away from them. Ever.
No thanks.

The first people going to mars are not going to have a fun time. If I could go and come back yes. Otherwise imagine a place cramped and confined. ..and you never can leave. Ever. And if you get tired of someone., you cant get away from them. Ever.
No thanks.

Perhaps if they launched three, or four, missions simultaneously; and the camps were separate, but within walking distance (in environment suit), with at least half a dozen people per colony - it could actually be almost bearable for an extended time.

Hmm, I would not. I don't see any reason to live on Mars. I can understand how others are curious enough to try it though.

If space travel was affordable and viable to you, would you do it? How long? For what purpose?

Absolutely, I'd do it. For how long, it depends on the circumstances. For what purpose, hmm, let's see, curiosity, to experience space travel.

If it was practically possible to begin a colony on Mars, would you be interested in living on Mars? What kind of civilisation would you want to build and develop?

Absolutely, I would try living there. What kind of civilization would "I" want to build - wow, I could spend a year thinking about that. In reality, the civilization would be dependent on the people living in it. I'm not sure civilization can exist as a result of one persons desires. Civilization is complex and interconnected, a multitude of desires. We are all part of a larger whole, which is part of a larger whole, etc.

Do you think it is reasonable for Mars to be associated or managed by any company or nation? For example, if it is Space X and Elon Musk that gets us to Mars, should Space X, Elon Musk or whatever team they choose design, manage and govern the colony?

Wow, that could be dangerous. Anything that doesn't have a system of checks and balances has the capacity to turn into something like "Lord of the Flies" or worse.

I have been excited about this possibility and have often thought that it could only happen in my children's children's lifetime, but not my own. If it could happen in my lifetime, it would undoubtedly be in my later years, and yet, I would go in a fraction of a heartbeat. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my golden years than off gallivanting into the great unknown. Maybe on holiday, maybe as a staycation, depends on how old I am!

Yes, I would live on Mars. The possibility seems fantastically enticing. It won't be fun, it won't be easy, I would miss far too many people and it would definitely give my claustrophobia a run for its money, but I think it'd be an important thing to be apart of. I would hope that whatever colony is established, it would be one that promotes all of humanity, not one that represents one specific government, belief system, country, race, or culture.

I would hope that it would run much like a democracy. I wouldn't want anyone to be given power blindly. An elected official, perhaps. A person held accountable by the people of Earth as well as the colonists of Mars. If history repeats itself, as it usually does, the colonists will more than likely break away from an Earth ruled government (hopefully peacefully) and establish their own.

Reactions: Misadventure

I would totally do it, for a vacation only though, at first anyway. If I liked the Mars lifestyle, perhaps I would move permanently.

If I could take my husband and children, sure. I would want something similar to those on Earth, with only more peace and stuff, lol.

It's not unreasonable, but I have to go with [MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] on this, an elected official would be best. President of Mars, lol.

Artic research facilities apparently have rampant alcoholism. And they have a huge amount of space compared to what Mars will ever have.
The idea of going to Mars seems pretty awesome. Thats only the idea though. I have no doubt there are people who want to do this but... I would need something more than just a place in history.
Ive already named a few mars craters, that works for me.
Www.uwingu.com
I cant help but think it funny if and when we do have people go there...communicating about where they are. "Im over by The outhouse eatery." Which is an example of just one crater I saw when looking for mine.

Also if I did go I would immediately claim the planet as my own. Think about it, what is any one going to do? I would establish a pirate colony.

Last edited:

I am ridiculously excited about space travel. I think i could commit to up to 10 years...but it depends on so many factors. I find it confusing wrapping my head around the concept of time on Earth, let alone Space. There is so much i would like to see...i dream about space a lot, in some ways, i see space as much my home as Earth. I'd like to walk around on the moon and on Mars, orbit some planets. There is just so much out there it blows my mind. Just the idea of randomly journeying excites me too but i wouldn't do that because of my earth and family commitments

I don't know. I used to think about this a lot. I really wanted to when i was younger. But i feel like a lot changed after i had my daughter, i feel much more grounded to Earth now. I like my life here, i love this planet- i think earth is beautiful. But i'm open to Mars. I would absolutely like to visit. Perhaps be a part of the process of creating a colony but i dont think i could commit to living there at this stage. that could change. I love things like trees and water, food and blue sky so much...all that life....mars seems so desolate compared to the vibrancy of Earth
Ironically it's because of people like Musk that life on Earth becomes more and more appealing.
In terms of building a civilisation...i think we could try using the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson as manual or a guide lol. I would want to consult with a team of scientists, engineers, architects, biologists, builders, inventors, science fiction writers, sociologists and psychologists to brainstorm what is likely to happen and how to deal with it, the best way to start a colony....break everything down into goals and stages. We should do a lot of expeditions and research before any attempt is made. Go though some simulations conceptually and also practically speaking on Earth.

I think it would be extremely exciting to have a fresh start to build something new without a lot of the cultural baggage and past trauma we have on Earth. I would want it to be a socioanarchy made up of intentional communities. I dare say it would be a community made mainly of academics, scientists, engineers, architects, builders, engineers, researchers, psychologists, adventurers for a long time...There will be a lot of smart, innovative, openminded and brave people in this community naturally because of the required demographic to set up such a venture. I think we would have to make a commitment to the planet, and to each other...do what is in the best interest for Mars, and the lives of the inhabitants, and find a balance. I don't want to destroy Mars...and terraforming Mars is essentially transforming it, there is risk of destroying it or damaging it in ways we don't even have the capacity to comprehend or predict. Given that there are no other known inhabitants, it appears that there is greater free reign than on Earth. However, given that we have to fundamentally change the planet if we want to survive there in our Earth bodies...i think bio-domes will be the way of life until we choose as an Earth population to make enough of a commitment to Mars to attempt to irretrievably change the atmosphere and environment to make it habitable. I don't know whether it would be possible to make this decision democratically on Earth, it may be something a panel of 'experts' should decide.

A colony of Mars will begin as an outpost of Earth, but it will and must grow beyond that, become a unique human experience on Mars. As much as humans will transform Mars, Mars will transform humanity. It will become it's own entity and need it's autonomy from Earth to be truly independent and prosper. I have no doubt that the colony will be extremely informative and helpful to Earth, in terms of the knowledge we will gain, and the technology we will explore and build in the need to be self sufficient, sustainable, and because mars can be an experience that is more removed from the cultural and political bullshit, pressure and agendas on Earth.

Ideally, It would be a decision made by the human earth population democratically, but i don't think that is possible given the diverse beliefs and cultures and ideologies and agendas of the human population. Panel of experts seems more likely and perhaps more suitable. Experts as in science experts, not political nonsense no thank you.

Agenda would be very important in establishing a vision and plan. I don't think that the Mars colony should favour any particular nation or culture....get involved in any rivalries or earth politics. I think that this is theoretically possible, and that depends on the setting of a clear agenda. But...we are human after all...there will be some baggage, there will be money, there will be new resources to exploit....but reducing baggage is the key....through applying as much as possible a scientific and humanist framework to the establishing of the colony

Personally i would love for Elon Musk and his associated companies to be involved and manage the project. He is one of the first humans that committed to this vision, which is ultimately unselfish and heroic. He is literally 'planting trees under whose shade he doesn't expect to sit' (nelson henderson). I am much biased, but Musk is probably the coolest person on the Earth and he is my hero. I've followed his progress for a long time... Everything he has done....i am in fucking awe of this human being. Sometimes when i am finding something too hard or frustrating, i literally think to myself, 'what would musk do? Really, i actually do this lol. He inspires me to be more, to be the best i can be. I would love him to be leader of my country, let alone Mars, although i don't believe his personal inclinations run towards politics and cultural governance and bullshit at all. But he is a systems builder, engineer, leader, scientist, long range planner, organised, genius, a free thinker, innovator..... and he has the motivation, commitment, intention and drive to truly make his visions reality.... all very important for a project like this to succeed. I would be happy to trust his judgement in electing a committee and directing the project.

Reactions: #@&5&49
Sure, with the right people, why not?

I think Mars will be terraformed to make room for more people.

Wikipedia has it that a solar day is 24 hours, 39 minutes, and 35.244 seconds. A extra 39 and a half minutes in bed every morning. I am booking tickets right now ... !!! :m2:

I think that before we contemplate living on another planet, we need to learn how to take care of this one better. There are so many issues going on in the world right now, suffering, atrocities, that it's difficult for me to consider the possibility of living on another planet. I'm open to the idea, I just think it'd be important to try to fix things here first - not just for the sake of Earth, but for the sake of anywhere we ventured to go.

I think that before we contemplate living on another planet, we need to learn how to take care of this one better. There are so many issues going on in the world right now, suffering, atrocities, that it's difficult for me to consider the possibility of living on another planet. I'm open to the idea, I just think it'd be important to try to fix things here first - not just for the sake of Earth, but for the sake of anywhere we ventured to go.

Which is exactly why we should plan to move to another planet. We've almost used this one up. So we go to another, terraform it and then exploit it's resources. Repeat ad nauseum.

We have to be able to show competence of stewardship of this planet before we settle over there. We are toasting planet Earth with CO2 and poisoning it with manufactured chemicals.

My appologies in advance for this huge wall of text, but I give this stuff a lot of thought already, and honestly to keep this as short as I possibly could, this has become a summary of the summary of the summerised summary. I mean, I got each type of ship thought out, goals/guidelines for design of ships, logisitic systems, genetic mods, cities, etc. etc. and that all down to the specific colors and indoor navigation signage.....

But If space travel was affordable and viable for me, would I do it? HELL YEAH :p That depends, if it's mars and I can't leave it then I got no choice, but if I had my own ship...

If you google robert space industries you will encounter a game in the making called star citizen, If I could wish to have one ship from that game IRL, right now... with a monopoly on that ship and none others out there? I think I would go with the big battleship, assuming that it has a powerful tractorbeam that allows me to tow astroids. I'd use it to tow asteroids into near earth orbit and sell the mining rights to the countries that I trust more than others, I'd sell to the nations I trust in leading the world in the best direction, not the ones who historically shown to be the biggest abusers. The reason I'd go with the big battleship is because there is less chance for me to miss detecting boarding parties and missions to take me out. Cause face it, history shows that one nation cannot stand it if someone is in a significant position of power other then themselves, and he who controlls space controlls the planets orbitals, and he who controlls a planet's orbitals controlls the planet. So I'd need the firepower, scanners and range a battleship offers to keep me safe and prevent a nation from taking my ship from me.

A ship that I'd use to build my own imperium and once getting the scientists aboard that I want, start my own legacy on a planet somewhere. I'd build it's cities all planned out and self sufficient to make them easily defensible against ground assaults, and to be kenetic impact dispercing as possible. The idea is a planet where scientific research is done to increase the survivability of the human race in case of a hostile encounter, and to train a genetically improved human army much like masterchief from Halo ;p I'd try to go there with a large genetic database and sample set to allow for building the people to take this role rather than importing them from earth. The society would get it's own religion, mimiced from earth based religions to make them as resillient to outside influences as possible and to preserve the mission. I'd get experts onboard to build the best possible system for progress towards the mission goals. One of which would always be to be more technologically advanced and in a militairily more advantages position than any other force.

My force would exist of a special forces / space forces orientation with a powerful scientific R&D and logistic support structure. And the planet's location would be kept a secret for as long as physically possible. A force who is not politically intertwined with earth but exists as a shield to turn the tide of battle in case of a hostile encounter, a force of guardians.

Mars is relatively close to earth, so considering current transmission speeds it is already under the political influence of earth based governments. Likely it will first be a frontier world with frontier justice and heavy handed attempts at achieving physical dominance by political entities. whilst the current ISS missions appears to go rather smooth, there is a lot of distrust between the supporting nations, although not as much between the astro and cosmonauts themselves. the fact is however that so called intelligence and security agencies will force the hands of people going on a mars colonisation mission. This will likely lead to the first martian civil war or war of independence at some point.

I would be interested in living on mars however. the thing about being on the frontier is that it will allow you to build a vast capital and legacy for your decendants. Just by laying claim to a vast piece of strategically located land, you can ensure your decendants a good life assuming they are not as stupid as to sell it. As such If I'd go to mars, I'd do everything in my power to find the right piece of such land. My preference would be to find a mountain to hollow out and build my own habitat. The thing about mountains is that they survive most weather effects, so my claim would physically survive a war, a non-direct kinetic impact and the eventual terraforming projects. I'd mke the inside of my habitat as easily defensible as possible to prevent it being taken from me or mine.

As for the society I'd be interested in building for mars... it would have to be forcused on building an independant planetary nation with again a strong scientific and logistical base. If mars contains earth controlled bases or nations, it will lead to it's involvement in the next world war on earth. Mars could become our clean slate. As such I believe it is important to build pre-designed cities that maximise logistics and support a robust with multiple redundancies modular system to allow for easy upgrades and repairs. It could also do everything hardwired from the start to allow for minimal signal leakage and maximum transmittion speeds. If these lines could be made mudular in some fashion too, this would be a great improvement as it could be replaced for new technologies fairly easily. The people on mars would have to be the kind of folk that are good at doing work, research, be self sufficient and have a certain degree of pride as martians rather than terrans or decendants of a terran nation. I'd once again prefer mars to become some kind of fortress world. Because if there is one thing I've learned from history, it is that powers will always seek to influence and control or assimilate others. As such, I'd prefer mars to become a highly independant and advanced planet. Think of it like an alaskan middle of nowhere household, rather than a suburban household in say washington. But then one with the technological advantage and the most streamlined systems in place for education, logistics, healthcare and development. As for the people who go there, I'd prefer them all to be of just one religion, or none at all. If people cannot see themselves as martians first instead of some terran etnicity, then they have no place on mars and should be deported. Mars could not afford anything other than a unified front.

I think for mars, it would be important to prioritise building its own sensor arrays and space defense force. A solid Militairy and Materialistic Independance from earth/terra would have to be it's main priority for it to succeed.

At first if they do a good job, yeah. someone needs to lead, and if it's someone with vision and intelligence that would be the best. However, if the company/person intends to go for a goal other than building an independant martian nation, and simply focuses on exploiting martian resources for the gain of their terran home nation, that person would need to be deposed FAST. Not only is it logistically not profitable to extract resources on mars and transporting them earthbound, the developement of mars would suffer the same fate as the dozens of abandoned gold mining and oil drilling towns in the USA that had nothing other than that going for them. Going down that route would turn Mars in a poor, exploited third world planet resembling some of the poorest places in afrika, where food and water is scarce even when it does not always have to be. I'd have to make sure everyone refers to themselves as Martians rather than Muskies if Elon Musk leads though... I'm sure the terrans would call us muskies either way =_= crap...

I think the planetary government would need to consist of a group of people with the same goal, and expertese in the subject they cover. So like a head of logistics, a head of science, a head of militairy, a head of agriculture, etc. and have them be people leading that industry on the planet for planetary gain rather than individual. Eventually every system will corrupt, but the longer this can be staved off, the better. The meetings would consist of reports on the sector and suggested improvements or solutions for problems, and suggestions for future R&D lines.

If the opportunity fell in my lap, or I had some financial incentive to emigrate to Mars, I probably wouldn't hesitate to go. I'm not sure if I would sign up for a one-way trip per se, but maybe for a decade of two. My reason would be for the thrill of adventure and doing something humans have never done before.
Sure, it's an exciting prospect. I imagine it would be like Raytheon in Antarctica for a very long time, though. Probably not glorious work, but frontier adventure, yes
I would probably expect that it would carved up by major powers officially and contracted out to corporations to start expeditionary trips, build bases and mining facilities, and start terraforming.