Women: how would you describe being a "modern" woman today? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Women: how would you describe being a "modern" woman today?

...most of the pressure comes from other women. Just because the modern woman has the choice to be financially independent doesn't mean she has to be. Also non-independent women should not be viewed as inadequate by other women for choosing that lifestyle. I often see single women who run around boasting about their independence and how they don't need a man. Really, it's hella obvious that they want a man and are lonely...

...She told me that some of her friends talk down to her a little because she is not independent. I think her friends that do that are stupid Americans.

I totally agree with this.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
i have access to education, equal employment opportunities, financial independence, women's health...
but on a very personal level i do not think i represent the 'modern' woman. my personal traits are feminine, and ones which are not typically associated with 'modern'. that is strange and foreign to me. despite societal pressures (?), i do not intend to change. and to be anything different would be a lie

A modern woman does not feel comfortable going to a job
interview sans make up, which is a shame.

Reactions: muir
It's tiring.

[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]
for me, being feminine is far more than my physical body. it's not because think i should be that way, - something i feel pressured to adhere to or strive for.
it's intrinsic and i feel it deep within. i feel it when i'm alone, and i feel it when i engage the external world. i am trying to find the words to explain to you exactly how that feels, but it does not translate easily into words for me. :)i think it manifests though.
i am sorry this is vague, if i find a better way to explain, i'll let you know.

Ya that sort of shit gets tiring, especially because just the whole nature of it is such a waste of time lol. It's like one of those things you wish was bullshit, but it's kinda not. Like you have to deal with the idea of getting it in the ass by presentableness/image gods in some way or another.

Reactions: muir
For me, being a modern woman, or being a modern person is feeling and accepting the freedom to be who you are. Just being yourself, regardless of everyone elses expectations. The ability to be feminine, masculine, in between, or whatever you want at any given time. Life is so much more than your biological sex, gender and sexual orientation. And these aspects of life are to be enjoyed, not to define who you are, what you are, or to restrict you. All these restrictions are so outdated and useless. For me its about not having to label it, or feel like you need to explain yourself to anyone else.

I am a feminist, and I am eternally grateful to all the feminists that have paved the path of our current world. I believe both sexes/genders are different and completely fluid. All are equal and deserve the same human rights and freedoms.

I love being a woman, a mother and a sister. I love femininity and masculinity and everything in between. Being a modern woman is about being yourself, doing what you want, and being happy.

Reactions: barbad0s
I love this thread so much.

:m015:

Especially the post by [MENTION=5224]Sadie[/MENTION]

WELLSHIT I should get with the times.
I go everywhere sans makeup. >_>

With regards to the original post, I am honestly kind of stumped. I can't recall overtly thinking of myself 'as a (modern) woman' as opposed to as a person, let alone what that meaningfully entails.

Last edited:
In response to the OP, I believe that women of today in the U.S. are definitely able to be independent and self-sufficient, traits which weren't necessarily encouraged, say, fifty years ago. In my opinion, if a woman wants to graduate high school and become a housewife, providing her husband is able to financially support this lifestyle, more power to her. I also believe that is is capable, although much more difficult, for a woman to have children and a full-time career. It seems to me that, at some point, either family or job will suffer if some kind of arrangements are made, preferably in favor of the family over career. For myself, having decided years ago that I have neither the temperament nor any desire at all for children, I also have no problem if a woman chooses marriage, but not motherhood, as well as a career. All three paths have their pros and cons, and I believe the necessary decision is based on the individual. Women who have children and who choose, or prefer to remain single, seem to be much more accepted than several decades ago. I believe that this may be one of the most difficult choices, as raising one child is difficult enough with a stable couple, to say nothing of multiple children by one woman with very few or no resources. If there is a wage gap between what men and women earn for the same work, they should earn the same pay, making allowances, of course, for skill and experience. I also personally believe that every woman, regardless of religion, should have access to birth control, which would involve the evolevement of several organized religions, in which women are almost always marginalized in some form. So, now that I've thrown out more possible controversy, I'll post this and see where the discussion goes, if anywhere.
Chenoa