Will binge viewing change TV forever? | INFJ Forum

Will binge viewing change TV forever?

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
Will binge viewing alter TV in anyway? Like will it result in the quality of TV reversibly decline? Was it declining anyway?

Binge watching is basically watching a marathon but on a paid service like Netflix where you have control and less/no ads. I don't see how it could alter the quality of TV shows, but the way people view it is certainly changing.

With the success of recent character-driven dramas like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, the Wire, and numerous others, many shows of quality are actually starting to reappear it would seem; reality-type shows are still are around but not as prominent I think.*

*I don't watch much TV anymore.

Yes. Simply .

The more TV you watch, the more your brain becomes entrained to the frame-rate frequency - which actually creates a phase cancellation when the waveform is inverted, thus preventing anyone from reaching the vibrational dimension which is responsible for reincarnation.

Reactions: Bird
I kind of think there's a law of diminishing returns when it comes to TV, the longer that TV shows run the less big twists or developments or anything like that can happen, there's only so many adventures etc. that there can be.

I think this is the case even with a lot of older and longer running shows which really ran and ran, like The Invaders or shows like that (in fact a lot of the shows which I most fondly remember from childhood I've been shocked to find were actually very short lived, for instance the first version of Eerie Indiana).

TV is so old hat

The future is interactive virtual reality

You would be able to choose between playing the part of a supermarket check out person for 8 hours a day or you can re-enter education and sit a stream of virtual reality exams followed by a virtual debt experience!

Other virtual reality experiences would include sitting in traffic for an hour and watching TV whilst eating crisps

The future is interactive virtual reality

You would be able to choose between playing the part of a supermarket check out person for 8 hours a day or you can re-enter education and sit a stream of virtual reality exams followed by a virtual debt experience!

Other virtual reality experiences would include sitting in traffic for an hour and watching TV whilst eating crisps

Re-creating known reality doesn't interest me in the slightest. The true potential lies within experiencing the truly impossible. Such as:

- No longer being bound by physics (flying, for example)
- Simulation of death but not actually dying
- bagleriffic making a forum post that adds value to a discussion
- Gender swapping

I have high hopes for most of those except for number 3. Even in a world where the impossible can be made possible, that's too much of a stretch.

Reactions: cvp12gh5
Re-creating known reality doesn't interest me in the slightest. The true potential lies within experiencing the truly impossible. Such as:

- Gender swapping

I have high hopes for most of those except for number 3. Even in a world where the impossible can be made possible, that's too much of a stretch.

Some people would argue it is already possible to do all these things without the use of technology

But Oculus rift is moving us in the virtual reality direction

Some people actually suggested that the way to get around the unnatural experience of chickens being raised in factory barns was to give them each a little virtual reality headset so that they could walk around a virtual reality farm yard and peck grain and presumably squawk at other chickens!

- Gender swapping

Why would you want to simulated death? Or any of those things you mentioned, I dont see how they add value at all.

Why would you want to simulated death? Or any of those things you mentioned, I dont see how they add value at all.

Which experience would you go for:

the factory farmed chicken
the gender swap
flying whilst trying to eat crisps
or
watching TV whilst waiting in traffic
?

Why would you want to simulated death?

The same reason people go to haunted houses, look at car wrecks or watch horror films: there's a fascination with death and what the experience is 'like'.

Here's a popular website that simulates drowning (or trying to prevent it, anyway): http://sortieenmer.com/

...humans are interested in that.

Or any of those things you mentioned, I dont see how they add value at all.

I'm sorry to hear that.

The same reason people go to haunted houses, look at car wrecks or watch horror films: there's a fascination with death and what the experience is 'like'.

Here's a popular website that simulates drowning (or trying to prevent it, anyway): http://sortieenmer.com/

...humans are interested in that.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I read a good psychological critic of that habit of looking at car wrecks, the macabre side of life, it was convincing.

Haunted houses and the like are pretty different, pretty mundane or silly compared to scoping car crashes.

I read a good psychological critic of that habit of looking at car wrecks, the macabre side of life, it was convincing.

Haunted houses and the like are pretty different, pretty mundane or silly compared to scoping car crashes.

Which experience would you go for:

scoping car wrecks
being a chicken in a haunted house
being a factory farmed chicken trying to eat crisps whilst watching TV
being a feminist secret policewoman trying to hunt down renegade members of SCUM
?

Strange discussion branch.