Why?

jimtaylor

On Holiday
May 19, 2010
MBTI
No Need
Enneagram
Yup
Why? Is this not the ultimate question to everything? Why do we act the way we do? Why do we have emotions? Why do fall in love? What is the purpose to everything?

Sadly, there is no easy answer for any of these and I doubt there ever will be. Despite this I can't but help find myself asking these very questions every time an event happens in my life from the simple to the complicated. Why do they happen? Why do people make the choices they do? Do they not have the ability to conceptualize the consequences to their actions or do they choose not to. For me it is so simple to see and so easy to see the most likely outcome of someones choice.

I am not always correct but still why do people not consider these things when making a choice? Is the future really that scary to think about because I feel it not to be so. The future is ever changing, ever forming to the choices of the present. Every action we set into motion forms the future and what it holds for each of us, so I think it is very important to always think about every possibility. It is ignorant to not think about all that may come and to not consider every option.

Life is honestly such a simple game but people make it more complicated than what it has to be. They spend far to much time trying to read between the lines and being deceitful. Too many people have no understanding of how to be truthful because their lives have just been one big lie. They cannot figure out how to be honest because they have no understanding that things could be any different.

I cannot figure out why people act this way, no matter how much time I spend thinking about it. Lying and holding back the full truth will just lead to the problem being bigger later. It will just make the consequences far worse than they actually would have been. So why do people have this need to lie to avoid the result of their actions when it will eventually come back to them?

Going along the same lines, I cannot fathom why people get angry over things like religion. My god is better than your god, so I am going to kill you? Can anyone please explain to me how that makes any sense? How does that solve anything? Am I am the only person who thinks its utterly stupid to fight over such meaningless things. I would rather have someone come outright and say; "We are going to war because we want what they have," then having them come out and say; "We want to save them from themselves and bring to them what they wish they had." How does anybody buy into something like that? You can't force an idea upon someone. They will accept it only to get you away and then they will go back to their old ways.

The only way to in courage change is to plant that idea in a persons mind. Plant the seed of doubt and let it take grasp and grow into the cracks. In time the idea will grow or it will crumble, but it cannot be forced. Any idea must be raised like any plant with tenderness and careful hands. Forcing it will do nothing. So I really just don't get people at all. For all our intelligence we are the most illogical and stupid creatures to walk this planet. We are the only creatures able to wage war over something that doesn't exsist or that we have no proof of exsisting. Pure isanity.

Reactions: Gaze and Neuropedia
'why' is a terrible, heartwrenching question.

Reactions: Neuropedia
Why do we have emotions?
- so that we know what it is to feel and experience the world in unique ways

Why do fall in love?
- so that we have the chance to experience a sense of connection to someone besides ourselves in such a way that makes other relationships pale in comparison

What is the purpose to everything?
- To serve a higher purpose

Reactions: jimtaylor
This is a very good question indeed :) I've been pondering about it myself for quite some time. The intuition hints that there should be an answer but it's ever so slippery. What I've noticed however is that some people manage to avoid the over-complication and misery almost completely. They are also able to influence other people around to change their ways for the better. So there is hope for the world. And I also try to make my contribution too.

Furthermore I would recommend you reading this book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Peace-Resolving-Heart-Conflict/dp/1576755843/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303018697&sr=8-1"]The Anatomy of Peace[/ame]
It packs some great ideas about how to answer most of your questions and is by far the best material I've read on the subject.

Reactions: jimtaylor
Why do we have emotions?
- so that we know what it is to feel and experience the world in unique ways

Why do fall in love?
- so that we have the chance to experience a sense of connection to someone besides ourselves in such a way that makes other relationships pale in comparison

What is the purpose to everything?
- To serve a higher purpose

Good answers but again why? I agree with your response but why do we need these things? You see there is almost an infinite number of reasons to why and you will never be wrong. This is part of the point I am trying to make. How can we claim to be rational when our reasons for acting are not? How can any of us claim to function of rational thought and logic when we are fundimentally flawed to not do so. What I want to see in people is no longer this certainty in what they believe and instead the briliance to question why. It is ok to believe and still question. I might question the purpose of love but I still believe in it. Why do we have to be all or nothing? Why do we have to have defnitive labels, like athiest, Christian, Muslim. Is not human enough? Is not knowing that each of us are individuals with something special to offer not enough? So in part I post this not because of my own questions but because I wish to know why people claim to be following logic when there reason behind the logic is not logical. They be coming to facts and conclusions based of logic but the reasons they seek this knowledge is flawed because of their own value system. In order for us to move beyond our simplistic standards and constant warfare, I believe we must be able to acknowledge this flaw in our creation. As it has been said before; "The only thing i know, is that I know nothing." The only thing I can be certain of is that some day I will die so I cannot claim anything to be fact or logic because I cannot prove that %100 of the time that thing will happen.

Why? Is this not the ultimate question to everything? Why do we act the way we do? Why do we have emotions? Why do fall in love? What is the purpose to everything?

Sadly, there is no easy answer for any of these and I doubt there ever will be. Despite this I can't but help find myself asking these very questions every time an event happens in my life from the simple to the complicated. Why do they happen? Why do people make the choices they do? Do they not have the ability to conceptualize the consequences to their actions or do they choose not to. For me it is so simple to see and so easy to see the most likely outcome of someones choice.

I am not always correct but still why do people not consider these things when making a choice? Is the future really that scary to think about because I feel it not to be so. The future is ever changing, ever forming to the choices of the present. Every action we set into motion forms the future and what it holds for each of us, so I think it is very important to always think about every possibility. It is ignorant to not think about all that may come and to not consider every option.

Life is honestly such a simple game but people make it more complicated than what it has to be. They spend far to much time trying to read between the lines and being deceitful. Too many people have no understanding of how to be truthful because their lives have just been one big lie. They cannot figure out how to be honest because they have no understanding that things could be any different.

I cannot figure out why people act this way, no matter how much time I spend thinking about it. Lying and holding back the full truth will just lead to the problem being bigger later. It will just make the consequences far worse than they actually would have been. So why do people have this need to lie to avoid the result of their actions when it will eventually come back to them?

Going along the same lines, I cannot fathom why people get angry over things like religion. My god is better than your god, so I am going to kill you? Can anyone please explain to me how that makes any sense? How does that solve anything? Am I am the only person who thinks its utterly stupid to fight over such meaningless things. I would rather have someone come outright and say; "We are going to war because we want what they have," then having them come out and say; "We want to save them from themselves and bring to them what they wish they had." How does anybody buy into something like that? You can't force an idea upon someone. They will accept it only to get you away and then they will go back to their old ways.

The only way to in courage change is to plant that idea in a persons mind. Plant the seed of doubt and let it take grasp and grow into the cracks. In time the idea will grow or it will crumble, but it cannot be forced. Any idea must be raised like any plant with tenderness and careful hands. Forcing it will do nothing. So I really just don't get people at all. For all our intelligence we are the most illogical and stupid creatures to walk this planet. We are the only creatures able to wage war over something that doesn't exsist or that we have no proof of exsisting. Pure isanity.

Baboons only spend 30% of their day getting nourishment. The other 70% is mostly spent picking on each other and hurting each other. This makes all of their lives less enjoyable but it establishes a hierarchy. Maybe we are just baboons and we need a hierarchy.

About the war thing; you're right people are stupid. I would say 90% of the people I know are sickened by the war. But when uncle Sam says "pay up" we do it because we aren't trying to get locked up. That's life.. Most people in California don't believe the hype, I'm not sure how it is in middle America.

I'm not sure if you are an INFJ but I think the "Idealist" nature we have can make it hard to understand other people. Our ideals naturally govern our opinions and actions. It's not that way for most people and we must learn to understand it. Many people out there are opportunists, they naturally want to capitalize when they can. Most people feel more capable of sacrificing their ideals for personal gain than INFJ's. It's not that they are bad people, they are just people. Life is craycray.