Why single-sex schools are bad for your health . . . (if you're a boy) | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why single-sex schools are bad for your health . . . (if you're a boy)

From this we can infer that no matter how we set up our schools, they will be sexist towards one side. And here I thought the world could always be balanced...

If I had my say, which is backed up by precisely zero scientific studies, I would put boys and girls together, but give them time separate as well. This would help them develop different aspects of their personality.

Agree on some level, but how far would that separation go? This has been the problem in many coed classrooms, is how to allow the sexes their own spaces to develop gender specific interests without seeming sexist, isolationist, or reinforcing gender stereotyping about male or female interests, desires, wants, or needs.

Last edited:
Education always leaves someone behind - there's no way a system can be adapted to everyone.

Send all the lesbians over to boys schools.

Simples.

What do you think of the idea of single sex schooling between the ages of 10 and 16?

During this time the students can explore subjects outside of society's gender roles without being too concerned about how the opposite gender will view them. After 16, classes would return to coed to provide a more rounded social experience. One school here is actually following that model now. It was controversial at first but everything seems to be settled now.

What do you think of the idea of single sex schooling between the ages of 10 and 16?

During this time the students can explore subjects outside of society's gender roles without being too concerned about how the opposite gender will view them. After 16, classes would return to coed to provide a more rounded social experience. One school here is actually following that model now. It was controversial at first but everything seems to be settled now.

What if, like me, you have no schooling past 16?

Reactions: Gaze

I think single sex schooling works for some, but integrating after 5-6 years of single-sex learning environment before college maybe a bit abrupt with some unintended consequences that some aspects of development are developed while others are stunted. I think complete separation isn't necessary. They should have the chance to have some classes together, but have the choice of single sex classes or interaction in other areas. But it probably depends on the ultimate goals of separating the sexes. If it means increasing academic performance, then it's fairly effective, but it fails to consider the importance and impact of healthy social interaction between sexes especially if they do not receive any other kind of coed social interaction outside of that environment - a factor which directly affects human relations at work, school, and relationships later on, then i'd say it's questionable.

Last edited:
I've gone through the single sex schooling system, and it was good while it lasted. It was great for learning but there some things which were missing. I had very unreal or naive expectations leaving that environment and heading into a coed college environment. At some point, you realize academics isn't everything and other things will matter more later on.

This is why there needs to be a balance. There is a healthier chance of success in work and relationships when there's a balance of studies and healthy social experiences with the same and opposite sex.

I think segregation is wrong no matter which way it's done I can't see any reason to separate any classes based on gender other than perhaps maybe gym classes and sports. I know personally that if I went to an all boys high school I never would have finished school at all.

:sing:All by myself. Don't wanna be all by myself. :sing:

I agree if a child lives an isolated life outside of school, single-sex education wouldn't be the best choice for them. Otherwise, I don't really see the harm. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe I would have enjoyed coed too. Who knows?

I agree if a child lives an isolated life outside of school, single-sex education wouldn't be the best choice for them. Otherwise, I don't really see the harm. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe I would have enjoyed coed too. Who knows?

I was thinking about this and think this is the key. If it's the only environment in which there is separation, and there are regular interaction outside of school, then it works, but again, it's still relative. What may be good for the goose, may not be good for the gander.

I can't relate to boys at all, I'd feel stuck and like I had no one that I could really talk to about my true feelings. My best friends in high school where all girls.

I loved being at an all girls high school; there's a freedom to be yourself as a young woman - to develop academically, that i know I wouldn't have had or experienced in a coed environment since I was and am a bit self conscious. I wouldn't trade it for the world. But I have to say, it would've been better if my only experience with guy wasn't occasional campus visits during club meetings or at sports games or competitions. Because it is such a conservative and protective environment, it shields you from dealing with or addressing some issues early on that may affect you later on. It's not a black and white issue of they are all good or all bad. It's relative. Some didn't have any concerns or insecurities leaving that environment, but unfortunately, i experienced some interesting effects of being protected in that world. It's a sheltered environment, not the real world. And you have to figure out how to make sense of what you learned and how it matches up out there. You find that you have to unlearn a lot of myths and misconceptions about yourself, people, and how this world works which were years in the making. But the same could probably be said for any transition from school to the work environment.

Last edited:
I can't relate to boys at all, I'd feel stuck and like I had no one that I could really talk to about my true feelings. My best friends in high school where all girls.

Yes. It doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for you.

I think it's a choice parents should consider carefully. I would like to see single-sex education continue but no one should be forced into it. For some single-sex education is a long family tradition and parents look forward to their children becoming members of an exclusive "club". Now, that I look back, I can think of a few girls who would have been happier in a coed environment. Maybe they would have been a little less "man crazy".

The administration of the school also colours the attitude of the students to the opposite gender. One of our principals was a loon and I think had a deep distrust of male students. I tried to start a mixed gender chess club and she seemed to think I was on a one woman mission to corrupt the morals of the students. It's as if she feared we would all turn up at school the next day pregnant. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that we didn't have a chess club and that I knew some students from a boys' school who were willing to help us get started. There had to be some other underlying motive. Oh boy.

Well I also think same-sex schools help generate an "us vs them" mentality that is already far too prevalent between men and women. I do think it can work for some people but it seems very similar to how the US military works to me.

Yes. It doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for you.

I think it's a choice parents should consider carefully. I would like to see single-sex education continue but no one should be forced into it. For some single-sex education is a long family tradition and parents look forward to their children becoming members of an exclusive "club". Now, that I look back, I can think of a few girls who would have been happier in a coed environment. Maybe they would have been a little less "man crazy".

The administration of the school also colours the attitude of the students to the opposite gender. One of our principals was a loon and I think had a deep distrust of male students. I tried to start a mixed gender chess club and she seemed to think I was on a one woman mission to corrupt the morals of the students. It's as if she feared we would all turn up at school the next day pregnant. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that we didn't have a chess club and that I knew some students from a boys' school who were willing to help us get started. There had to be some other underlying motive. Oh boy.

this^^^^ is the kind of thing which didn't think was good for us in the long run. The idea that guys were these mysterious or sex crazy beings who girls couldn't handle being around without going crazy or getting pregnant; that guys and girls couldn't be friends or have a healthy interaction beyond gender role differences. It also constantly imposed this idea that we couldn't be trusted to trust ourselves, to have self control, or make reasonable or sound decisions as women, with regard to men, therefore we needed to be protected from them. This is the kind of thinking which sometimes pervades more traditional or conservative single-sex female and boarding schools which makes it a little worrisome to be in that environment.

Well I also think same-sex schools help generate an "us vs them" mentality that is already far too prevalent between men and women. I do think it can work for some people but it seems very similar to how the US military works to me.

I don't agree. I always felt that the rivalry was more between girls from other girls schools. I've never considered the boys to be our rivals. Sure I make lots of sexist jokes but I don't really believe it and except for one female my closest friends have always been male. I've never thought of it as "us versus them" but perhaps everyone experiences these things differently. I know some people have surprised me with their views of HS but like I said it seemed perfectly healthy to me. Plus, you know each school has its own culture. I think at mine the girls were very independent minded and never really doubted their equality to boys so there wasn't a need for rivalry. However, I can think of another girls school where the girls would pretend to be dumb and stereotypically feminine to impress boys. I can't really explain why the difference existed.

Last edited:
this^^^^ is the kind of thing which didn't think was good for us in the long run. The idea that guys were these mysterious or sex crazy beings who girls couldn't handle being around without going crazy or getting pregnant; that guys and girls couldn't be friends or have a healthy interaction beyond gender role differences. It also constantly imposed this idea that we couldn't be trusted to trust ourselves, to have self control, or make reasonable or sound decisions as women, with regard to men, therefore we needed to be protected from them. This is the kind of thinking which sometimes pervades more traditional or conservative single-sex female and boarding schools which makes it a little worrisome to be in that environment.

I see what you are saying but I definitely think it has a connection to the attitude of the administration and the PTA. Under the previous principal I didn't really see that problem at all. In fact, there were far more opportunities for coed social interaction under her tutelage. I think the second principal actually brought her own negative experiences from running a coed school with her and assumed she would have the same difficulties at my school.

I see what you are saying but I definitely think it has a connection to the attitude of the administration and the PTA. Under the previous principal I didn't really see that problem at all. In fact, there were far more opportunities for coed social interaction under her tutelage. I think the second principal actually brought her own negative experiences from running a coed school with her and assumed she would have the same difficulties at my school.

Wow, now you've made me wish I was born a few years or even decade earlier :D. I actually see what you're saying. I've met a few alums from previous decades before my grad year, and they enjoyed it. They didn't seem to have the issues or concerns I had. So, maybe it was the principal and admin as you said. It's nice to get a different perspective since all along I assumed it was always this way since the school began. I also didn't get a chance to wear the single piece uniform you guys were lucky enough to wear. :D. I'm glad you're bringing some perspective to this.

[MENTION=3710]AlienSpectator[/MENTION]

Last edited:
I've gone through the single sex schooling system, and it was good while it lasted. It was great for learning but there some things which were missing. I had very unreal or naive expectations leaving that environment and heading into a coed college environment. At some point, you realize academics isn't everything and other things will matter more later on.

This is why there needs to be a balance. There is a healthier chance of success in work and relationships when there's a balance of studies and healthy social experiences with the same and opposite sex.

Could you satisfy my curiousity and elaborate on the bolded sentence?